South Marshall Street / Brookstown Projects

Danny 4 Peace

New Hotel for Brookstown?

I talked to a good friend of mine who works at a local architecture firm and there is a plan from the owner of the Brookstown Inn to convert the Carswell Business Systems building across from One Salem Tower to a hotel with regular and medical spas. They are also going to close off Factory Row and turn it into a courtyard for the guests. This new hotel will be marketed towards business retreats and surgical vacations. :mellow: There will be an onsite plastic surgeon who will do consultations and procedures. Stay tuned! ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John and Jayne Johnston of Swain’s Grocery are looking to convert a former 5,000-square-foot mattress store at 228 West Acadia Street into a neighborhood grocery store with essentials for the home, a deli, fresh coffee and a specialty beer and wine selection by the end of the year. They want your feedback on the proposed store so send your suggestions to [email protected].

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173352538351

It's good to hear about some new business activity in Washington Park there!! Its gotta be one of my favorite Winston neighborhoods and I know that the place is kind of underserved by any neighborhood business or retail activites so I think its a needed addition over there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
New Hotel for Brookstown?

I talked to a good friend of mine who works at a local architecture firm and there is a plan from the owner of the Brookstown Inn to convert the Carswell Business Systems building across from One Salem Tower to a hotel with regular and medical spas. They are also going to close off Factory Row and turn it into a courtyard for the guests. This new hotel will be marketed towards business retreats and surgical vacations. :mellow: There will be an onsite plastic surgeon who will do consultations and procedures. Stay tuned! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good Life Land LLC wants to close the Best Western Inn on Cherry Street, and convert it into a high-end substance abuse treatment center...comparable to those in Pasadena and Laguna Beach CA, and additonal hotel rooms for the Brookstown Inn. also, a 16,000 sf conference center similar to Graylyn adjacent to the Brookstown Inn is planned. total cost for the project is $10 - $12 million. the rezoning request will go before the planning board on the 14th.

sounds like a nice project, but downtown would lose more hotel rooms.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509099

Good Life Land LLC wants to close the Best Western Inn on Cherry Street, and convert it into a high-end substance abuse treatment center...comparable to those in Pasadena and Laguna Beach CA, and additonal hotel rooms for the Brookstown Inn. also, a 16,000 sf conference center similar to Graylyn adjacent to the Brookstown Inn is planned. total cost for the project is $10 - $12 million. the rezoning request will go before the planning board on the 14th.

sounds like a nice project, but downtown would lose more hotel rooms.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509099

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

this project is moving along nicely. I noticed that the website isn't working anymore. I guess that's because Leonard Ryden Burr is the main real estate company now and not Prudential.

I really like the design and buildings. I would just like to see more variations in the facades and colors on the Marshal St side, much alike how the Poplar St side has the different colors and front facades. But I still love this addition and the presence it gives to the area. Would be nice if there were more/ larger trees on the street that could grow and provide a nice canopy when walking down the street. Hope to see more construction like this because it reminds me of other cities like washington and philly. It would be fun to see a new project like this with a Charlestown flair. The bright colors and courtyards and sleeping porches.

• 6 months later...

Jersey Boy, I see you made a comment about the West End Village condos being "cheap". Can you give further details/opinions on that, please? I'm interested in the auction at the end of March, so it would be great to know if there are issues/concerns about them. Thanks!!

Archived