Oprah Winfrey Gives Cars to Audience

cityboi

CHICAGO (AP) -- Talk show host Oprah Winfrey celebrated the premiere of her 19th season Monday by surprising each of her 276 audience members with a new car.

"We're calling this our wildest dream season, because this year on the Oprah show, no dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said.

Making sure the audience was kept in suspense, Winfrey opened the show by calling 11 audience members onto the stage. She gave each of them a car - a Pontiac G6.

She then had gift boxes distributed to the rest of the audience and said one of the boxes contained keys to a twelfth car. But when the audience members opened the boxes, each had a set of keys.

=

"Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!" Winfrey yelled as she jumped up and down on the stage.

The audience members screamed, cried and hugged each other - then followed Winfrey out to the parking lot of her Harpo Studios to see their Pontiacs, all decorated with giant red bows.

One woman stepped up onto the frame of a driver's side door, put her head on the roof and hugged the vehicle.

Winfrey said the audience members were chosen because their friends or family had written to the show about their need for a new car. One woman's young son said she drove a car that "looks like she got into a gunfight"; another couple had almost 400,000 miles on their two vehicles.

Latest News

other segments on the show, Winfrey surprised a 20-year-old girl who had spent years in foster care and homeless shelters with a four-year college scholarship, a makeover and $10,000 in clothes. And a family with eight foster children who were going to be kicked out of the house they were renting were given $130,000 to buy and repair the home.

"The Oprah Winfrey Show," which debuted in 1986, is syndicated to 212 domestic markets and 109 countries.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone see the show? I caught the re-run they show in Chicago after Monday night football. That was just part of the surprise's she gave away that day. The smart thing is that she gets the companies to give these gifts and she never pays much! The endorsement on the Oprah show is payment enough!!

who cares about big vehicles.

Not me! All I care about it vehicles that get good mileage. Although living in the Motor City, I don't think I'd get good mileage no matter what kind of car I drove. I spend way too much time sitting in traffic. It took a 1:20 to get to Ann Arbor on Friday...a trip that should've taken 45 minutes. And it wasn't even rush hour!

That's still not as bad as when it took me 45 minutes to get to the grocery store 15 miles away. I-696 is a parking lot, but there isn't really any better way to go. I've started paying the higher prices at Farmer Jack for groceries because I was wasting so much gas trying to get to Meijer's that it wasn't worth it.

That's still not as bad as when it took me 45 minutes to get to the grocery store 15 miles away. I-696 is a parking lot, but there isn't really any better way to go. I've started paying the higher prices at Farmer Jack for groceries because I was wasting so much gas trying to get to Meijer's that it wasn't worth it.

Woah, there arent any that are closer than that? I used to complain about having to drive 4 or 5 miles to the store. I wont do that anymore :)

Archived