Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center

The_sandlapper

Not much too write home about but two significant happenings for Downtown.

Top of the line steak house, and opening of the Convention center.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Convention Center to open

A landmark event

Among the last capitals in the nation to get a center, Columbia hopes to compete for convention visitors

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbia needs an upscale steak house downtown somewhere.

I hope the convention center is successful. Once the Hilton is completed I see no reason why it wouldn't be. The Article failed to meniton that Spartanburg has a convention center- it is just part of the Marriott, and not stand alone.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Editorial from The State on Myrtle Beach's difficulties with its city-owned Convention Center Hotel. Thank goodness Columbia dodged that stupid idea, albeit at the last moment. Unfortunately, that delayed the hotel construction. The hotel was suppose to open simultaneously with the Convention Center. Of course, as it is, construction has not even STARTED.

Editorial on MB Convention Center losses

I prefer the original design also but I'd like it taller. It would start a chain reaction of highrises in the Vista. I can settle for another midrise, guess they'll help to densify the area faster.

I agree about the design and I agree about wanting it taller, but this building will probably reach the Vista's height limit. I believe there is a 100 foot height limit for new buildings built West of Assembly street.

I prefer the original design also but I'd like it taller. It would start a chain reaction of highrises in the Vista. I can settle for another midrise, guess they'll help to densify the area faster.

I agree about the design and I agree about wanting it taller, but this building will probably reach the Vista's height limit. I believe there is a 100 foot height limit for new buildings built West of Assembly street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true. It can't obstruct the view of the state house. However, they can still get alot of density in 100 ft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's pure EVIL at work. I could understand my an area surrounding the heart of the Vista near Gervais but everything West of Assembly? That kills my dream of seeing a highrise corridor development near riverfront park where The Pavilion is located or even further south near Blossom Street. The State House dome is gonna be green in couple of decades anyway, they might as well block it out now. It'll de-value the the skyline, lol...

That's pure EVIL at work. I could understand my an area surrounding the heart of the Vista near Gervais but everything West of Assembly? That kills my dream of seeing a highrise corridor development near riverfront park where The Pavilion is located or even further south near Blossom Street. The State House dome is gonna be green in couple of decades anyway, they might as well block it out now. It'll de-value the the skyline, lol...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is to maintain the views to the river and the slope of the land between Assembly and the Congaree. The view from the top of the Findley Park cafe, will make a believer out of you.

Speaking of Findley Park, someone needs to post pics of it. It's the showplace of Cola.

The State House dome use to be green before. It looked as good, or better IMO.

The point is to maintain the views to the river and the slope of the land between Assembly and the Congaree.  The view from the top of the Findley Park cafe, will make a believer out of you.

Speaking of Findley Park, someone needs to post pics of it.  It's the showplace of Cola.

The State House dome use to be green before.  It looked as good, or better IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked better green. I know it is essentially "rust," but it makes the thing look older and more distinguished.

Great Pics of Finlay Park sandlapper!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually height limits between the State House and the river are an excellent idea. Not only do you preserve the views down and up the slope, but you ensure that the parks and sidewalks in that area are not in permanent shade created by 20 and 30 story buildings. It also benefits the core downtown area (in theory) by creating a more dense highrise district there, instead of having skyscrapers scattered across a larger area. The Vista is a perfect place for mid-sized office and residential buildings built on a very human scale.

I live in Washington, DC, where we have citywide height limits, and not only is it one of the most beautiful cities in the country, but our neighborhoods are alive with active street life, in large part from the human scale of the architecture in the city.

The issue I have with current residential development in the Vista is that much of it seems to be gated, which is a horrible, horrible idea in an urban area. Large swaths of gated residential development is one sure way of killing any hope of an active street life.

The issue I have with current residential development in the Vista is that much of it seems to be gated, which is a horrible, horrible idea in an urban area.  Large swaths of gated residential development is one sure way of killing any hope of an active street life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a good point. Alot of the initial residential areas in the Vista were gated. I think that trend is changing though. Its much more of a mixed bag now. Eventually we will get to where it there are none.

• 3 months later...

Archived