Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center

The_sandlapper

There is some merit to that. What have these other cities done that Columbia has not in that respect? I don't think of these cities as having done more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they have either marketed themselves more aggressively (e.g., building a convention center/conference facility years ago) or have capitalized on one or two things that have won them some sort of regional or national recognition (e.g., Augusta and the Masters).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Columbia is doing that now with the USC Research Campus and the convention center.

Aside from the Masters, what stands about about these other cities? I still don't see them as having done more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly agree that the word is beginning to get out more about Columbia, especially since the convention center was built.

I'm not really sure what those other cities have really done, but they seem to have had their "moments of fame," whereas I see Columbia's soon to come. At any rate, I don't think that Columbia should necessarily try to "do more" than those other cities, but that the city should find its niche and maximize exposure in that regard. It's happening slowly but surely, but I think it could have actually started a while back.

• 2 months later...

The State reports in today's edition that the convention center has beat its goals in its first year of operation. It drew more visitors than planned, the revenue was higher than expected, and losses were smaller than projected. However, one area of concern is that the convention center catered to more local conventions than initially planned. Once again, this is where the convention center hotel will have the capacity to draw more out-of-town and out-of-state conventions to the convention center, and thus provide more tax revenue for the city. There was a separate article about the convention center hotel; it is mentioned in the thread dedicated to it.

You want conventions with visitors who will spend money. Locals spend money here they would have spent anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly--hence, the need for a convention center hotel ASAP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. The fact that these are mostly local conventions, could mean that these events merely moved around. The Fairgrounds, the local hotels with meeting facilities, etc. may have lost business to the center. This is bad because it takes money from local businesses, while taxpayers are paying the tap for the center.

The idea is to "expand" the pie, not have taxpayer-subsidized efforts replace private business.

No doubt, this situation will improve once the hotel is complete, assuming it does go forward. However, it is important to note that if it opens next year, it will be a full two years behind schedule. The city's should have broken ground for the hotel at the same time as the center itself. If not for the city's very ill-conceived notion to become a hotelier, the hotel would probably be opening now.

• 3 weeks later...

i do agree, that was rather backwards, for the convention center to be fully completed without the ground even being broken for a new hotel. were do they expect everyone to stay @ the holiday inn, or the marriot?? the people need a hotel in walking distance. columbia needs to plan this carefully, instead of just throwing something together just to make money. i do understand the statement about taking from the other businesses by opening the convention center, but that the way it goes, competition and marketing. the convention center is for major events, events that can't fit everybody in ballrooms. I think the convention center is a plus. but it wasn't carefully thought out, cause any blind man wouldve seen that a hotel was a must. and that is holding up the opening of Ruth's Chris. columbia is not going to be able to have the convention center in full swing until the hotel situation get resolved. Once the Hotel opens, then columbia can start bring bigger act

• 4 weeks later...

Waccamatt mentioned it in another thread, but I'll post it here since this is the thread most appropriate for it. The city decided to kick out an extra $1.5 million to get the convention center hotel built. The developers should break ground in a few weeks and it is expected to be completed sometime in early 2007.

Here's the rendering from the Columbia Development Corporation's website:

Hilton.jpg

I like the overall design, but the street-level front part seems to leave something to be desired. At any rate, it's better than the entrance of the downtown Marriott.

Waccamatt mentioned it in another thread, but I'll post it here since this is the thread most appropriate for it. The city decided to kick out an extra $1.5 million to get the convention center hotel built. The developers should break ground in a few weeks and it is expected to be completed sometime in early 2007.

Here's the rendering from the Columbia Development Corporation's website:

Hilton.jpg

I like the overall design, but the street-level front part seems to leave something to be desired. At any rate, it's better than the entrance of the downtown Marriott.

That's a dated rendering. Spartan's posting shows the current rendering. I like it better, but it looks a little bit like a hospital to me.

The design I posted offers no predestrian orientation. It fits with the Vista 'style' better, but really its nothing better than your generic hotel that you can find off of Greystone.

The previous design (with the grey/stucco looking siding) has a very strong pedestrian orientation, and it looks like it would actually encourage people to use the sidewalk for something other than to walk to USC.

The design I posted offers no predestrian orientation. It fits with the Vista 'style' better, but really its nothing better than your generic hotel that you can find off of Greystone.

The previous design (with the grey/stucco looking siding) has a very strong pedestrian orientation, and it looks like it would actually encourage people to use the sidewalk for something other than to walk to USC.

So which one are they using for the development?

That's a dated rendering. Spartan's posting shows the current rendering. I like it better, but it looks a little bit like a hospital to me.

You sure? I would've thought the rendering on the CDC's website was the more up-to-date one, since it seems the site has been updated recently. Too bad, because I like that design better. Plus, all the brick in the current rendering makes it look too much like the Hampton Inn located in the Vista.

I'm assuming the rendering I posted and the one Spartan provided earlier in the thread are basically the same:

cityColumbiaSC_hilton_rendering.jpg

The one Spartan Provided is the one that went before the architectural review board. One of the board members commented that he was worried about a clash with the State House because of the red brick and the height of the building, but one thing that has driven up the builder's costs is pushing back the start date to tweak the design to suit the review board, so they let it slide. I am definitely in favor of the use of brick in a mostly brick warehouse district as opposed to other types of siding. I just hope the finished product doesn't look stark.

I think it needs to be noted that the city's (ie Bob Coble's) 'tilting at windmills' idea to build a public funded hotel has added at least $1.5 mm to the cost, and delayed the opening of this hotel by at least two years. Add on top of that $1.5mm, the cost of lost convention business and the consulting fees, etc, spent on the proposal. Then, on top of THAT amount, add the litigation costs that the city will have to pay to defend itself, and the damages if they lose in court.

If a CEO of a company made this costly of a mistake, they would be out on there a$$. Think about that when the next city elections roll around.

I think it needs to be noted that the city's (ie Bob Coble's) 'tilting at windmills' idea to build a public funded hotel has added at least $1.5 mm to the cost, and delayed the opening of this hotel by at least two years. Add on top of that $1.5mm, the cost of lost convention business and the consulting fees, etc, spent on the proposal. Then, on top of THAT amount, add the litigation costs that the city will have to pay to defend itself, and the damages if they lose in court.

If a CEO of a company made this costly of a mistake, they would be out on there a$$. Think about that when the next city elections roll around.

Vic, you worry about Greenville politics and those of us in Columbia will worry about ours. It is easy to take potshots at the mayor, but you are way off-base. If anyone is to blame it is city council and not the mayor. Bob Coble has presided over the greatest economic growth the city has seen.

Vic, you worry about Greenville politics and those of us in Columbia will worry about ours. It is easy to take potshots at the mayor, but you are way off-base. If anyone is to blame it is city council and not the mayor. Bob Coble has presided over the greatest economic growth the city has seen.

Bob Coble recently said he's glad to see Columbia's business leaders finally pushing the development snowball (to paraphrase), but that if it had not been for the city's efforts for the last decade or more, the City Center would have crumbled by now. I agree with him. In Greenville, business leaders stepped up a long time ago. Now that Columbia's business leaders have stepped up to the plate to compliment the city's efforts (which include over $40 million in new streetscaping completed or under construction in the City Center), look out!

HHMMMMM, it's city council's fault, even though by all accounts Coble was the one who pushed the (city owned) convention center hotel idea from the start? Interesting logic there.

I guess you could say Coble has presided over the greatest economic growth the city has seen, given the fact he has been mayor longer than anyone in modern times. The question is, has the city fulfilled it's potential?

It does appear the city is on the verge of a brighter future, but it has taken decades to get to this point, and in my opinion it shouldn't have taken so long. Also, the 'brightness' of that future will depend on the city's leadership.

I would submit that USC has been the driving force, not the city. USC is the force behind Innovista, just as they were with the Koger Center, Colonial Center, etc. You know, the projects that actually happened the same decade they were envisioned.

The long delayed, start and stop projects, like CCI redevelopment, Olympia Mills redevelopment, the Three Rivers Greenway, the Convention Center, were driven by the city. Do you realize that the Greenway project was suppose to be FULLY completed several years ago? They completed one phase (Granby park)many years ago and have not made any progress since. I still have a news clipping from '94 when the River Alliance was formed. In 11 years, Cayce and West Columbia have (finally) completed their portion and Columbia is still left with just an isolated Granby Park. The convention center had been on the drawing board since at least the '70's. Did it really have to take that long to build it? Even now, it is hamstrung by not having a hotel that everyone knew would be needed day one.

Columbia has tremendous potential but for it to be realized in my lifetime, bolder leadership (including the mayor AND city council) is needed. Obviously, The State agrees with me on that, even if we differ on the reasons for this situation and the remedy to change it.

I'm sorry if I don't project 100% boosterism, but I think a forum such as this is the most beneficial when contributors are actually free to speak their minds, and share their experiences and opinions regardless of how 'positive' or 'negative' they may sound.

Having lived in Columbia and dealt with city governement during that time, and now having lived elsewhere, I feel I have a legitimate perspective to offer.

I do not rejoice in Columbia's shortcomings, I merely call'em like I see'em. I don't pull any punches with my own hometown of Florence, or with Greenville where I live now, nor with Jacksonville where I have business interests.

If the Columbia room would prefer I keep my opinions to myself, I will do so.

They completed one phase (Granby park)many years ago and have not made any progress since.

Hi vicupstate,

This statement is not accurate. There are 2.5-3 miles of additional paved and lighted trail in Columbia proper that starts at the Gervais St bridge and follows the Broad river north under I-126 and Broad River Road until its end at the diversion dam. A map is here: http://www.riveralliance.org/3RG_2004.pdf

The greenway, be it behind schedule or not, is a great asset to Columbia (well, at least my wife and I really love it!). Even though the paths appear to be quite popular however, my guess is that the greenway is underappreciated by most of the residents of the greater Columbia area. In any case I'm anxiously awaiting the full 12 miles of trails.

More info can be found at the greenway website: http://www.riveralliance.org/3rg.htm

Archived