Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center

The_sandlapper

As a matter of fact, Vic, Columbia developed the first Riverfront Park 20 years ago and it stretches along about 5 miles of the Congaree and Broad Rivers. West Columbia and Cayce are "Johnny-Come-Lately's" when it comes to developing the riverfront and now they have that hideous gated community with the faux stone wall on the West Columbia side of the river. Much of the problem with the Columbia development of the greenway has been because of difficulty getting all of the land. What I meant in my previous comments is that the rest of South Carolina thinks they know what is best for Columbia, but those of us that live and work in Columbia know that we march to the beat of a different drummer (thank goodness) than the rest of the state and we don't need the rest of the state telling us who to elect to office.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But actually the Greenway i hear is near completion, I was watching the news mayor Coble and the mayor of west cola are suppose to promote the greenway by having a walk a thon for the next couple of weekends. The criticism i can stand, because you do have some valid points. But I do believe Columbia have step there game up because of all the criticism. And the citizens of the city being baffled how Atl and Char left us behind. But I'm not going to blame Mayor Coble!! Because the problem existed before the Mayor came. I see a lot of determination and a vision by mayor Coble. I can't see any other mayor in s.c. actually getting down(dancing) in the comercial trying to promote RTA(city bus). But i do agree some of these projects should've been completed. Like the old CCI building, for the Canal side, that looks like a open field. But before it's all said and done the city of Columbia will have a great name for itself!

I am quite aware that there were ALREADY EXISTING trails on the riverfront. Riverfront Park and most (all?) of the trail up to the dam had been in place before Coble took office or the River Alliance waqs formed. The River Alliance was to improve these, add in the missing links and connect them. Included in that were trails along the Saluda. It appears a second trail was added to from the Broad River dam and some parking was added. So, I guess they have done more than nothing since Granby Park. I still think my basic premise still holds. The entire project was suppose to be completed years ago, it is many years (decade?) yet from completion.

The Cayce/W. Cola trails were part of the original River Alliance plans.

As far as Columbians choosing their officials, that is rather difficult when only one person is running, or the only opponent is a loon like Joseph Azar.

I am quite aware that there were ALREADY EXISTING trails on the riverfront. Riverfront Park and most (all?) of the trail up to the dam had been in place before Coble took office or the River Alliance waqs formed. The River Alliance was to improve these, add in the missing links and connect them. Included in that were trails along the Saluda. It appears a second trail was added to from the Broad River dam and some parking was added. So, I guess they have done more than nothing since Granby Park. I still think my basic premise still holds. The entire project was suppose to be completed years ago, it is many years (decade?) yet from completion.

As far as Columbians choosing their officials, that is rather difficult when only one person is running, or the only opponent is a loon like Joseph Azar.

Okay, i took the first comments as constuctive cristism!! Now your are starting to sound like a hater man. True, columbia doesn't have the best government in the world. But we have done alright for ourselves. It seems you know a awful lot about Columbia to have never lived here a day in your life. And hate to be blunt, I never hear anything about Greenville in Columbia or it's history. Most people hear are famailar with Spartanbrug and its BMW plant. :sick:

While I agree that Azar was a little "out there" I don't know that I would call him a loon. He's actually a pretty cool guy. As far as no one running against Coble; if Columbians were unhappy with him as mayor, somebody else would run or be convinced to run. The way I see it, since neither myself nor most other Columbians agree with the rest of the state politically, if the rest of the state dislikes our mayor we have the right person in office. :yahoo:

Riverfront Park and the canal walk before and after the improvements are like night and day. The entire project originally was to be 12 miles. Six miles are complete and the section from Granby Park to the canal are scheduled to completed within a year. At least we have three rivers and not just a stream.

Okay, i took the first comments as constuctive cristism!! Now your are starting to sound like a hater man. True, columbia doesn't have the best government in the world. But we have done alright for ourselves. It seems you know a awful lot about Columbia to have never lived here a day in your life. And hate to be blunt, I never hear anything about Greenville in Columbia or it's history. Most people hear are famailar with Spartanbrug and its BMW plant. :sick:

I lived in Columbia for eight years. If you read my original post closely, I referred to having lived in Columbia previously.

Obviously, I have hit nerves with my posts. It is not my intention to offend anyone, but instead to provoke thought and discussion. I do think a lot of people give Mayor Coble a free pass because he is likeable and affable. Such qualities are great for any politician to have, but the end results matter too.

I have said all I'm going to say about Bob Coble and the city council. Peace Out.

:thumbsup:

I will say that from what I know of Coble, he certainly has a vision for the city. My main criticism of him, though, is that it seems as though he has failed to get all of the councilmembers on the same page, which, in my opinion, is what a mayor should do, regardless of the form of government. Also, it seems as though the city loves generating studies, many times with no apparent tangible results produced afterwards. Not placing blame there particularly, just an observation.

But the city definitely needs to make the mayor's office a full-time position. It seems that this critical piece of info in the strong mayor/council-manager debate often gets lost in the shuffle.

According to The State, the official groundbreaking ceremony for the convention center hotel is set for 2 p.m. Nov. 22 at Park and Senate streets. Construction will last anywhere from 15 to 18 months.

I wonder if a skywalk is planned? This is very common for hotels that are located adjacent to a convention center.

According to The State, the official groundbreaking ceremony for the convention center hotel is set for 2 p.m. Nov. 22 at Park and Senate streets. Construction will last anywhere from 15 to 18 months.

I wonder if a skywalk is planned? This is very common for hotels that are located adjacent to a convention center.

No skywalk is planned, but it could happen. However, I would prefer to see a canopy along Senate Street from the hotel to the convention that compliments the long train station canopy along Lincoln and the one attached to the convention center. Another possiblity I learned of yesterday is to use an existing tunnel that runs underneath Lincoln. But the skywalk or the tunnel would take bodies off the sidewalk at street level, and bodies make a city vibrant, so I vote for the canopy and will push for it.

• 1 month later...

Archived