DEAD: Belmonte Castello (Knight Street)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free rubble! As you can see, the site fence doensn't exactly keep people out. If you need some rubble...

2005-0703-Knight001.jpg

2005-0703-Knight002.jpg

2005-0703-Knight003.jpg

2005-0703-Knight004.jpg

2005-0703-Knight005.jpg

2005-0703-Knight006.jpg

2005-0703-Knight007.jpg

I gotta say, as big a fan of height as I am, it's going to be weird to have a 10-story building here. Maybe the parking lot next to Euro Bistro across the street could get an 8-story building to balance things out a bit.

I gotta say, as big a fan of height as I am, it's going to be weird to have a 10-story building here. Maybe the parking lot next to Euro Bistro across the street could get an 8-story building to balance things out a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's going to look great. As long at there is active ground level retail, the rest won't seem to monolithic.

What is the projected start and end date on this again?

- Garris

What is the projected start and end date on this again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, I haven't read anything official about this in some time. But it appears to be well underway, I would assume it should be coming online right around the time everything else does, early '07.

• 1 month later...

This was in this month's Federal Hill Gazette (which I never read but felt compeled to pick up at Dunkin Donuts the other day):

Rendering-KnightStreet.jpg

The part of the ad I cropped out said it was to open in "Spring 2007."

Belmonte Castello? Does that name have some sort of ancient Federal Hill significance I'm not aware of, or is it just stupid?

This was in this month's Federal Hill Gazette

Belmonte Castello? Does that name have some sort of ancient Federal Hill significance I'm not aware of, or is it just stupid?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that's one pretty stupid name... Belmont Castle? Ugh... I'd be embarrassed to say I lived in a place with that name... Did they focus group test that one?

Is it just me, or is there something I like less in this render than the first one... I can't put my finger on it, but the ground level doesn't look too pedestrian friendly. Look at how the first floor windows seem to be at head level... And the back half hints of Royale Plaza blandness...

- Garris

BTW: The Federal Hill gazette is a pretty bald advertising rag... Too bad. The city could use another funky, independent paper to complement the Projo and Phoenix.

Is it just me, or is there something I like less in this render than the first one...  I can't put my finger on it, but the ground level doesn't look too pedestrian friendly.  Look at how the first floor windows seem to be at head level...  And the back half hints of Royale Plaza blandness...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll post a blow up of the ground level later (I'm off to bed in a minute). I don't think it's really that bad.

BTW: The Federal Hill gazette is a pretty bald advertising rag...  Too bad.  The city could use another funky, independent paper to complement the Projo and Phoenix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I never read it. I've only ever read it once, and it was pretty much just an advertisement. But there were actually a couple articles that I read in this one.

I'll post a blow up of the ground level later (I'm off to bed in a minute). I don't think it's really that bad.

That's why I never read it. I've only ever read it once, and it was pretty much just an advertisement. But there were actually a couple articles that I read in this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually think it looks better, though still hideous. And I agree that the ground-level interaction with the street terrifies me. It is especially evident when compared with the design of the Rialto building.

I don't think I need to comment on the name. I will just leave it at :sick: .

This was in this month's Federal Hill Gazette (which I never read but felt compeled to pick up at Dunkin Donuts the other day):

Rendering-KnightStreet.jpg

The part of the ad I cropped out said it was to open in "Spring 2007."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Developer A: "We need a name for this thing."

Developer B: "Sounds Italian enough.. Lets go for it"

That thing looks HUGE.. The lot doesn't look big enough for it.. I hope the Rialto condo complex offsets the size of this... I wonder if the size of those two will set off people..

Although, its not TOO much bigger than the condo complex @ DePasquale...

That is a seriously stupid name- so stupid, I would be offended if I was Italian. It's not even grammatically correct. (That would be Castello Belmonte, which is still stupid. It's not a castle, it's a condo complex. And it ain't on a mountain)

Also, I think the street-level frontage is awful. Why can't architects/developers figure out how to build storefronts? it can't be that hard- They could start by taking a look at every other building on the street for ideas of what this thing called a "store" looks like.

And, I'm all for height, but I think that's REALLY tall for that site.

Arrrr. . .

Also, I think the street-level frontage is awful.  Why can't architects/developers figure out how to build storefronts? it can't be that hard- They could start by taking a look at every other building on the street for ideas of what this thing called a "store" looks like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I misreading this, or does this look like suburban "office building" style retail, where there is ground floor activity, but it is not accessable by urban style store frontage, but only through 1 or two main doorway entrances leading to a hallway or lobby? Please tell me I'm wrong here...

- Garris

• 5 months later...

From the legal notices in today's Journal for the February 21, 2006 Providence Zoning Board of Review Hearing:

Lantern Holdings, LLC and Premier Land Development, Applicant: proposed expansion of the number of residential dwelling units from 43 to 64 dwelling units. The applicant seeks a dimensional variance and seeks relief from regulations governing minimum lot area per dwelling unit.

(Cotuit, I couldn't find the thread for this project. Please merge it if it already exists - thanks!)

That's a significant boost in the number of units (especially with 333 Atwells recently announcing a reduction in their number of units). I wonder how this jump of 21 units is coming about. Smaller units in the existing structure, a bigger structure? I'd be shocked if they tried to build higher, the neighbourhood opposition would be deafening. I believe they have a surface lot as part of their current proposal though, so perhaps that's going to be built over...?

the neighborhood outcry to this original project was, in fact, deafening, and then it got frighteningly quiet as abutters and appealers were silenced for whatever reason. I was at the original zoning meeting and it was the most disgusting display of abuse of power within zoning that i had ever witnessed. Interestingly, when this goes before zoning AGAIN, there will only be an acting chair (my understanding) as the mayor's choice for chair of the zoning board was both recinded and shot down (all at the same city council meeting)

gotta love power struggles for the sake of power struggles

what does that mean? do you believe that the abutters are protesting it just for the sake of protesting it?

oh and i'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier but the name of the project is an homage to the developer's mother and the region in Italy from which she came.

• 2 weeks later...

This building is way too tall. If I lived closer to it, I would be making some noise too. The mayor probably wants it because it will gentrify an otherwise slumlord-ruled section of the Hill. It belongs somewhere else... along the Service Rd at the east end of the Hill, extending the skyline across 95. This type of thing is all we'll have to look forward to if the historic property tax credits are repealed. There won't be any incentive to rehabilitate any more old factories, and most developers put very little thought into the neighborhood architecture and character when they design these places. I'm just glad I don't live on Marcello St.

this project is going before the ZBR tonite and to ask for "increased density" but i haven't been able to find exactly what they are looking for. Does anyone know?

and for me, it isn't the tall that i have a big problem with--it is the fact that it will be an incredibly ugly and cheap looking building on a very important, historic street. And of course i have a problem with the entire path this building's developers took through the zbr, complete with having the mayor's office call all the members of the board to "ask" for their support, and the fact that the developers took the chair out to dinner to discuss the project and all the other ex-parti communications that went along with it. Sunshine is an excellent disinfectant--it would be nice if we used it now and then around here.

this project is going before the ZBR tonite and to ask for "increased density" but i haven't been able to find exactly what they are looking for. Does anyone know?

and for me, it isn't the tall that i have a big problem with--it is the fact that it will be an incredibly ugly and cheap looking building on a very important, historic street. And of course i have a problem with the entire path this building's developers took through the zbr, complete with having the mayor's office call all the members of the board to "ask" for their support, and the fact that the developers took the chair out to dinner to discuss the project and all the other ex-parti communications that went along with it. Sunshine is an excellent disinfectant--it would be nice if we used it now and then around here.

They are proposing to increase the number of dwelling units from 43 to 64. Here is a link to the agenda (dates seem to be off, but I believe this is tonight's):

http://www2.sec.state.ri.us/omfiling/pdffi.../2006/21131.pdf

I have heard this same rumor about the mayor calling ZBR members, and it is a real shame. I suspect that this will not be the only case in which this occurs. There are several important developments before the city, and it seems that the zoning ordinance and comp plan have been thrown out the window.

I don't think the building is ugly. It could fit into the streetscape a little better. However, it looks a lot like the Citizens Bank building in Capital Center and very similar to another building I saw in some city on UP. This building, along with the Rialto Furniture building, will enhance the Hill. When you pass through now, one asks the question, "This is it?" This is what all the hype is about. Federal Hill is rather bland if you ask me. There are too many vacant places and the residential on the side streets are run-down. If anyone on Marcello or Vinton St. is complaining, it is out of pure hypocrisy rather than architectural design. These 2 developments will help shape the Hill and bring it back to its former glory. :yahoo: IMO....Heritage Place doesn't stand a chance.

When you pass through now, one asks the question, "This is it?" This is what all the hype is about? Federal Hill is rather bland if you ask me...

If anyone on Marcello or Vinton St. is complaining, it is out of pure hypocrisy rather than architectural design

IMO....Heritage Place doesn't stand a chance.

I largely agree with you on your first two points. While I think the "Castle" could do better design-wise, I don't have a problem with these two developments on most fronts. I think it's long past due for Federal Hill to "bust out" development wise and inject some (any?) architectual diversity. The area also needs to be cleaned up a bit, literally and figuratively. I went out for Valentine's Day on the Hill the other night, and it's embarrassing to walk someone who doesn't know the area past all of the garbage on the streets, sidewalks, etc...

Regarding Heritage Place, well, I think that looks terrific and I'm rooting for it greatly.

- Garris

PS: I still think, family inspiration or no, Belmonte Castello is an incredibly stupid name from a marketing perspective. Even if I loved the design (which I don't), I'd be embarrassed to tell people I lived in a building that sounds like a South Florida retirement home...

I largely agree with you on your first two points. While I think the "Castle" could do better design-wise, I don't have a problem with these two developments on most fronts. I think it's long past due for Federal Hill to "bust out" development wise and inject some (any?) architectual diversity. The area also needs to be cleaned up a bit, literally and figuratively. I went out for Valentine's Day on the Hill the other night, and it's embarrassing to walk someone who doesn't know the area past all of the garbage on the streets, sidewalks, etc...

Regarding Heritage Place, well, I think that looks terrific and I'm rooting for it greatly.

- Garris

PS: I still think, family inspiration or no, Belmonte Castello is an incredibly stupid name from a marketing perspective. Even if I loved the design (which I don't), I'd be embarrassed to tell people I lived in a building that sounds like a South Florida retirement home...

I like Heritage Place too. I just don't think it stands a chance.

Frankly i think Belmont Castello sounds like a cheese. But whatever.

In other news, this project, which was asking for a viariance of a variance (oy) at zoning last night was continued on the docket til the next meeting ( i assume) Quite a few people spoke out against it, and more would have if Metro Lofts hadn't folded early in the evening by requesting a continuence. The planning department asked that it be denied, and if it was to be approved, approved with the delicious condition that 2/3 of the new units be "affordable."

needless to say, the developer (via his lawyer) wasn't thrilled with that idea at all. But i smell some compromise with the news that there was no decision on this thing last night.

Archived