Sheriff: it

Urban_Legend

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad to see that the Sheriff is giving thought to this, even though it will be years down the road before anything happens. While they are at it. I hope the police office building is relocated as well. It wasn't clear in the article if he was including it or just the jail itself.

If the site were vacant, it would be ideal for a convention center. It's too bad that this area was used for such a non-productive purpose (in terms of urban development).

The city needs to buy or set aside land NOW, so that the cost of relocation will be smaller when the appropriate time comes. Perhaps a remote part of the Cecil Field property would work well. The city already owns the land after all.

I found it odd that it was the sheriff making these comments as well. Perhaps he has some political aspirations. If he's thinking this far ahead, sounds like a good candidate.

Anyway, considering the current use of the property, I think it should go to parkland. Maybe break the parcel up and develop half and park out the rest. Maybe we could even include a slavery musuem/memorial. Does Florida have one of those?

That may be stretching it a bit, but it's good news that they're looking to change it just the same.

The property abuts Hogan's Creek, so when it is vacated, that side of the property would most likely be devoted to park space. That's one reason why it would make a good convention center site IMO.

This Sheriff has impressed me so far. The police presence in Springfield has dramatically increased, with a corresponding drop in crime there. He definitely seems to "get it" as far as the importance of making the urban core a viable residential choice.

Maybe we could even include a slavery musuem/memorial. Does Florida have one of those?

I can't think of any in the State. There are a couple of Plantations across the Panhandle, including one here in Jax, where you can take tours.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jacksonville attempt to capitalize more on its rich black history. Being the first large city in Florida, it was the home to many "firsts" within the black community.

Things the city could market include the former Ashley Street Entertainment District and information about people who grew up here, like Ray Charles (musician), James Weldon Johnson (poet), and Philip Randolph (civil rights activist).

I can't think of any in the State. There are a couple of Plantations across the Panhandle, including one here in Jax, where you can take tours.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jacksonville attempt to capitalize more on its rich black history. Being the first large city in Florida, it was the home to many "firsts" within the black community.

Things the city could market include the former Ashley Street Entertainment District and information about people who grew up here, like Ray Charles (musician), James Weldon Johnson (poet), and Philip Randolph (civil rights activist).

What about Kingsley plantation? Isn't that a museum? As far as the jail goes, I am in favor of moving it if you could find the amount of space needed for a new jail.

I would love to see this building go! It's been a big turn-off for potential buyers in the Bay Street area. If they built a pre-trial facility near the new courthouse, I hope it looks nice. If I had it my way, I would stick them all underground, lol.

In a side note, I think Ft. Lauderdale has a downtown prison as well. It, too is near riverfront property. I wonder if they'll move that one...

Archived