Orlando or Jacksonville

Fruit Cove's friend

Which City do you like better?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which City do you like better?

• Orlando
    • Jacksonville
    • Both

I think Jax and Orlando are two very different cities. Orlando is much more cosmopolitan - not just b/c of tourists, but also its ethnic makeup. Orlando started booming in the 1970s so a lot of the locals you see (Whites, blacks, latinos, Asians) are from various regions of the country and the world. Jacksonville, on the other hand, being at the northern tip of the state, close to Georgia, has a much more traditional Southern mix of people. The majority of whites, as is the case with most places in the South, can trace their ancestries to England, Scotland, Ireland, or Germany. Orlando's ethnic makeup is more like that of South FL - lots of whites from up north, which means a lot more people with Italian and East European ancestries mixed in. Orlando's also got a thriving Hispanic population, especially Puerto Ricans, but also Cubans, Colombians, etc. The black population also hails from different parts of the country, as well as the islands.

It's really only in recent years that the population of Jax has started to diversify, and experience a more rapid type of growth. Due to Jax being one of Florida's biggest cities, it hasnt viewed too much as a Southern town, or if it is than it would be considered less conservative than similar sized cities in the South, and more in line with Houston and Atlanta. It's also perceived as much more of a blue collar town when compared to Miami, Orlando, or Tampa, but it's also more affordable. The city's got a lot of potential as it is after all a coastal town, with a lot of room to grow.

If one just looks at population figures you'd think Jax was this bustling city of 800,000 people whereas Miami barely has 400,000. Yet that 800 K figure comprises the entire county of Duval, which is the same as saying Miami has a population of 2.5 million people (Dade County).

Orlando's progress has been so explosive at times that the city hasn't always been able to keep up with the changes. For example, the way its international airport is set up should have been changed years ago. Also, aside from I-4 all you seem to have are toll roads, unlike Tampa with I-75, I-275, I-4, and several toll roads all passing through the city (St. Petersburg is a different story). Part of Orlando's traffic problem arises not just from the toll roads, but by the fact that aside from the 2 million people living in its metro area there's another million or so tourists on any given week. So you've got heavy traffic till 9 from the locals, then as the tourists wake up they take to the roads as well. This is especially prevalent on Fridays, where it seems like there's always an accident and heavy traffic around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I think if we we bringing up all 4 of Florida's major metro areas (Jax, Tampa-St. Pete, Orlando, and South FL) I'd pick South Florida. I mean, this is a site called Urban Planet, and South Florida has always been light years ahead of the rest of FL, or even most of the country, in that sense. It's not just that it's densely populated, but also there's a lot of great places to walk around, especially in Dade County. You've got South Beach with Washington Ave, Lincoln Road, Colllins, and Ocean Drive. Over in downtown Miami you have Flagler an Brickell, and the kind of plans they got going on over there are even more ambitious than what they have planned for Atlanta (Atlanta's Midtown will evantually resemble the magnificent mile, AKA Michigan Ave. in Chicago. There's also the streets of Buckhead project opening in less than a year, and something similar in the suburb of Alpharetta). Another part of Miami is Coconut Grove, which is extremely walkable. Same is true for Coral Gables and even parts of Kendall. All these areas offer numerous stores, restaurants, galleries, and more. I'm not just talking about chain stores or cookie cutter restaurants, but a true variety of retail.

Head north of Miami and you can do more walking in Hollywood, and in Ft. Lauderdale you can walk around the streets along the beach, and continue on Las Olas Boulevard. Personally though I prefer to head even further up north to Palm Beach, which is extremely walkable and a very clean and pretty city. They've also done a great job reviving downtown West Palm Beach as you've got both Clematis, and nearby City Place.

As far as shopping malls go, Orlando has Millenia and Tampa has International Plaza, but South Florida has had those kind of malls long before that. Aventura Mall and the Shops at Bal Harbor in the north Miami Beach area, there's also the Village of Merrick Park in Coral Gables with Dadeland Mall and the Shops at Sunset Place nearby, Town Center in Boca Raton, The Gardens Mall in West Palm Beach, etc. Orlando also has some amazing outlet malls with Premium Outlets (one of the best Premium Outlets in the country no less) and Belz, but South Florida has Sawgrass Mills, which is HUGE.

• 9 years later...

When your entire Jax metro hasn't had a post in 2+ years, I think this poll is skewed heavily in participants.

In the immortal words of Vanilla Ice:

Kept on pursuing to the next stop.  I busted a left and I'm heading to the next block.  That block was dead.  Yo!  So I continued to A1A: Beachfront Ave!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, HankStrong said:

When your entire Jax metro hasn't had a post in 2+ years, I think this poll is skewed heavily in participants.

In the immortal words of Vanilla Ice:

Kept on pursuing to the next stop.  I busted a left and I'm heading to the next block.  That block was dead.  Yo!  So I continued to A1A: Beachfront Ave!

OK, we’re gonna give this a whirl and see if we can bring UP Jacksonville back to life. Since a few of the Orlando members are headed to The Bold New City of the South, maybe it will work.

@HankStrong, even you may have to visit. I think there’s one Harris Teeter left up here, which is owned by Kroger these days. Maybe it will be the beachhead for Kroger to finally stick in Florida!

• Like 2