Orlando or Jacksonville

Fruit Cove's friend

Which City do you like better?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which City do you like better?

• Orlando
    • Jacksonville
    • Both

^What type of business do you plan on opening?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still throwing ideas around, but right out of school I am joining the Teachers for America program which places teachers with competitive salaries in underprivileged neighborhoods. They allow you your top three choices, so I'll probably choose New Orleans as a first choice. That is a two year contract, so if afterward I decide its not for me, i'll consider my own business ventures. I'd like to open a lounge/club with live music, something certainly untapped in Central Florida. I'm into blues and would try incorporating that aspect into it, though I don't know if the Orlando market would take to that.

you said there are only 3 poisonous snakes in Florida? Just tell me where those 3 are and I'll avoid that area. :rofl: just kidding.

seriously though, I forgot to add this in my other comment. I am currently studying medicine, are there a lot of job opportunities there? How many hospitals are there in Jacksonville(the big full service hospitals)?

How do you keep pets safe? I love my dog, and don't want it to get attacked by an alligator or a snake in the backyard.

Melissa B)

you said there are only 3 poisonous snakes in Florida? Just tell me where those 3 are and I'll avoid that area. :rofl: just kidding.

seriously though, I forgot to add this in my other comment. I am currently studying medicine, are there a lot of job opportunities there? How many hospitals are there in Jacksonville(the big full service hospitals)?

How do you keep pets safe? I love my dog, and don't want it to get attacked by an alligator or a snake in the backyard.

Melissa B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your pets will be safe, as long as your backyard doesn't front a river, wetland, lake or marsh area.

The largest Shands Jacksonville (760 beds), Baptist Medical Center (583 beds), Northeast Florida State Hospital (553 beds), St. Vincent's (528 beds), Memorial Hospital (353 beds), St. Luke's (289 beds), Flagler Hospital (274 beds), & Orange Park Medical Center (219 beds).

GO JAGS!!!

Melissa,

I was going through some old copies of the Jax Business Journal and came across this listing of largest private sector employers in Jax. You will notice several are medical.

Rank Name # employees

1 Blue Cross & Blue Shield 7,812

2 Publix Supermarkets 6,767

3 Winn Dixie Stores 6,180 (Fortune 500 co. headquarters)

4 Baptist Health (hospital) 6,061

5 Wal-Mart stores 6,000

6 Mayo Clinic/St. Lukes hospital 4,969

7 CSX Transportation 4,800 (Fortune 500 co. headquarters)

8 Bank Of America 4,000

9 CitiBank 3,800

10 St. Vincent's Health System 3,650

11 Shands Jacksonville Hospital 3,300

12 Wachovia Bank 3,300

13 Convergys 3,000

14 Bell South 2,800

15 Vistakon 2,249

22 Memorial Hospital 1,798

24 Flagler Hospital (St. Augustine) 1,500

Other than NE, Indy is the cream of the crop, as far as the AFC goes. This year's Titans are an average run of the mill NFL team. Indy will present the Jags defense with an explosive offense they haven't witnessed yet. Sunday's game may be a situation where the Jags-O will have to score more than 20 points to come out on top. A victory against Indy will surely notify the league that the Jags are now one of the NFL's elite teams.

No doubt Indy will be a real test.  If the Jags win though, they will be in very good position in the AFC South.  I certainly hope they finally sell enough tickets to avoid a blackout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Jacksonville will avoid a blackout. The game will be really good if Jacksonville plays well.

we were indys only road loss last year.  if we beat them last year, we can beat them this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That rationalizing got my team in trouble last week when we lost to West Nassau. We figured we beat Hamilton County who lost to West Nassau, then we should be able to beat them. Not a good idea.

• 2 years later...
Hey Fruit Coves Friend! We were looking for a great place to live, and Jacksonville looks like the perfect place! The pictures are so beautiful! We were wondering if you could tell us a bit more about the area. What do people do for fun? How is the cost of living? Are job opportunities pretty good? Thank you for any information you are able to give us. B)

P.S. -we voted for Jacksonville in the poll

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...

Belk is on par with Dillard's and Macy's. Belk definitely does not compete agianst JCP, Khol's or Target.

They carry briands like Lacoste, Polo, Calvin Klien, Tommy Bahama, etc. as well as fine home furnishings. They ae not a discount retailer.

I personally prefer Belk to Dillards and I am happy to have them so strong in our market.

Yeah, Belk is definately not on JCPenny's level. They are Macy's without the name. It is hard to speak to the quality of the few in Orlando, but the one at the Avenues is very nice. They sell everything that Macy's does like Chip & Pepper, Kate Spade, 7 for all mankind, lacoste, and others. They are expanding into a new space to up their game. Since some of the brands they carry will have boutiques in the fall, such as Lacoste, they need to still remain competitive. They will also be competing with Avenues Walk, another upscale town center, when it opens across the highway next fall; not to mention phase III of the Town Center, which will include Macy's, Nordstrom & Neiman Marcus.