Durham city scenes

cityboi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cityboi, great thread. Durham deserves some more presentation and I think you did the city some justice :) Durham has a great future, and even though I believe that height may not become one of its downtown's greatest virtues, I am confident that Durham will create the urbanity that will make it a destination for many people in this area. I'd much rather see someone leaving the suburban Raleigh for Durham's inner city than the other way around. I can see high-rises between 10-15 stories being built rather than really tall ones, but this is appropriate for Durham. Don't get me wrong, Durham will eventually get the 20+ story buildings, but as the city tries to lower the vacancy rate and bring more businesses and residents to its center, it may be a better strategy to shoot for several small high-rises than a couple of skyscrapers that will take forever to fill. I certainly welcome any fast pace growth to Durham's center, and I am glad to see the city government doing something about it, but I would settle for anything that improves the image of Durham, however small it may seem initially. It is mostly about perception, so the battle may be a tough one for another 3-5 years.

Wow. I had no idea about Durham's downtown. I was expecting the entire city to be sprawl. I guess I was wrong on that one! True, it might not be huge, & it may be lacking height, but it sounds like the downtown area is growing. Thanks for posting!

I like Durham because it has that old urban feeling. Over time, Durham's skyline will grow but you don't even need to have a skyline at all to have a vibrant downtown. I see maybe and 18-story tower being built next. I don't think we'll see a tower over 25-stories being built anytime soon, even though I wish Durham were building one. Durham, Raleigh and Greensboro all have slow growing skylines. Raleigh and Greensboro had an office tower construction boom back in the early 1990's though.

Yes it is Lakelander. Durham envisions a major entertainment and retail development that will compliment the ballpark across the street. I'm not sure if vonstruction has started yet but you can bet it will be an interesting development. The parking lots on the left are designated to become condos.

bpdurham2.jpg

Archived