Florence Developments

Spartan

The mayor of Florence, Frank Willis lost his bid for re-electon yesterday by 1 vote. There are challenged ballots, and there will be a recount obviously. Turnout was very low. Just goes to show you that every vote counts.

The apparent (for the moment) winner, Steve Wukela is a political novice.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Florence today. The public library dowtown is gorgeous. So is Central United Methodist Church (not sure if that's the whole name), and the courthouse or city hall or something on the main retail street. Downtown has a lot of potential. There are many empty storefronts, but at least there are no boarded up windows, or at least none that I saw.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I was in Florence today. The public library dowtown is gorgeous. So is Central United Methodist Church (not sure if that's the whole name), and the courthouse or city hall or something on the main retail street.

I think you're talking about the old post office. Here it is in the early 20th century:

723.jpg

I agree, it is a beautiful building.

Big news. The Commerce Park has certainly proven to be a valuable investment. First QVC, then Heinz (350 jobs announced a month ago) and now Monster with 750 jobs.

I hope the pay will be good.

Might be time to consider how the traffic will be impacted from all this, before it starts to be a problem.

Might be time to consider how the traffic will be impacted from all this, before it starts to be a problem.

SCDOT requires traffic studies for industrial parks of this size. They way I've usually seen it work, DOT will allow as much square footage to be built as a traffic study for the current roads allow. Additional square footage will not be allowed until the require roadway improvements are implemented (i.e widening, new interchanges, etc.).

I'm not saying there's not some political pressure put on DOT to hurry up and allow this, but DOT usually really tries to enforce their regs.

This is great news for Florence.

Wukela seemed to have pandered to certain demographic groups. His claims are that downtown redevelopment only focuses on the south side of downtown and they should have projects on the north side as well. Coincidentally, his family's law firm is on the south side of town. Maybe he could move the firm to help spur growth up there.

the majority of the voters did not support him but the primaries republican/democrat split the vote up b/c the majority of the republican voters would have voted for willis. i want to see real change on that side of town in wukela's administration, which is what he primarily ran on.

• 1 month later...

Incumbent Mayor Frank Willis has exhausted his appeal process. The State Supreme Court refused to hear the case. As such, he will concede the Democratic nomination to Steve Wukela, a 32 year old with no prior political experience (except a a losing primary challenge to Senator Hugh Leatherman) by ONE vote.

There is no Republican candidate in the race and it is too late for one to join. HOWEVER, former Mayor Joe W. "Rocky" Pearce has filed sufficient signatures to run as an independent. Pearce served from '83 to '91. He won a landslide for his first term against incumbent C. Cooper Tedder, but nearly lost to Tedder for his second term. He did not run for a third term.

Pearce was controversial, but IMO was progressive, in that he pushed the Civic Center and the Freedom Florence recreation project to completion despite controversy over the costs.

This race has the potential to get REAL interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been here in a while. I thought I'd post some recent pics from around Florence.

Here's an artists rendering of a "potential" future Dargan Street Corridor

2795094646_75c5c74a33_o.jpg

Here's a pan of that corridor today

2794190443_ba16f2c062_o.jpg

The Florence Downtown Development Corporation is trying to transfer buildings along this strip to the corporation, including 117, 119 and 129 (old Carolina Theatre). It already owns the old Royal Knight building on the corner. Good to see some progress is being made. The pic and info courtesy of the News Journal.

The eyesore House of Louie, at the corner of Palmetto & Irby, was torn down in May. No plans for the site as yet. This particular photo downplays the busy intersection it really is.

2794979266_7b6920905d_o.jpg

The intersection of Palmetto & Coit. The historic old gas station, which was most recently a restaurant, was the victim of arson in the spring, and has not reopened. The threat of arson is one of many reasons businesses have been reluctant to locate downtown. The historic Hamilton House on Dargan, which was partially burned down last year, IS being restored.

2794977744_91fd5ecc2a_o.jpg

The abandoned, decrepit Heritage, motel was finally demolished in July. Good riddance.

2794129497_b6c32b58ee_o.jpg

Here's the motel where it bordered Coit St

2794114951_db4374eb34_o.jpg

The Little Theatre is almost completed, and looks great. The first production will be "Jesus Christ Superstar".

2794962752_57a98cf9e1_o.jpg

2794127313_95a3687801_o.jpg

2794975594_e20e74e560_o.jpg

Cheves & McQueen

2794120393_a3dfe47a82_o.jpg

The Village at Coit low rent housing development is coming along

From Darlington Street, looking west

2794973250_75f2be5fb2_o.jpg

Looking east

2794124265_95937c04f4_o.jpg

2794122825_e4f7d2d713_o.jpg

2794125091_891101f0f9_o.jpg

Looking north

2794121105_9d239348ac_o.jpg

Coit Street, looking south. Still not the most desirable part of town. There's a run down Sav-Way across Coit

2794121963_32a27e8e81_o.jpg

....and the infamous Hubcap Shack on the corner across the street. Rumor is they're selling more than hubcaps

2794971120_ecc2dc71a3_o.jpg

Development on Beltline Drive across from West Florence. The controversial Super Wal-Mart, which was delayed due to lawsuits, is almost completed.

2794962856_45058ab3af_o.jpg

2794965308_ebafd7dfe5_o.jpg

Oh no! They tore down the House of Louie? That was one of my favorite places to eat when I was so poor but still wanted good Chinese. It was an eyesore, though, and on such a prominent corner, it had to go I guess . . . hope Florence's Downtown Association will succeed in transforming downtown. It's such a ghost town today, and could/should be so much more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...