Florence Developments

Spartan

Does Florence have a Downtown Development Authority or something?

Many other cities equal to its size has benifited from revitalizing its downtown area with different venues to attract more people back into its downtown.

Savannah

West Palm Beach

Columbia

are just a few cities that have done this....

FLORENCE - Florence County has retained the services of a consultant to conduct a roads study and prepare a presentation for the State Infrastructure Bank Board.

Moderators Note: Please do not post articles in their entriety. Post some of the main facts, key information or key paragraphs with a link to the entire article.

Full Article

Edited by Spartan

Does Florence have a Downtown Development Authority or something?

Many other cities equal to its size has benifited from revitalizing its downtown area with different venues to attract more people back into its downtown.

Savannah

West Palm Beach

Columbia

are just a few cities that have done this....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those cities are much larger than Florence. Florence has an Urban Area of 67,000 vs Columbias 423,000. That still doesn't excuse Florence from anything. There are many smaller towns in SC that have vibrant downtowns.

In defense of the Florence Civic Center location, it would have been difficult to site it downtown. The current site is 25 acres and was DONATED for free, despite being very valuable land. A single city block is like 4 acres. It would have taken 4-6 city blocks to build downtown. That would not be very feasible. Plus, that would have added significantly to the cost. It was already a stretch for the city & county to fund the project as it was.

Also, the project was very controversial and there would have been even more opposition if it had been sited downtown. No one goes downtown and the PERCEPTION of crime, is that it's high.

Also, there is some logic to the fact that an easy on/easy off from the interstate would attract more concerts. It has been difficult to attract concerts even were it is, it would be even worse without the easily accessible location.

I understand that other forumers think the location shows the city didn't consider itself "worthy" of a nice downtown. But given the fact that urban renewal pretty much vanquished downtown, and the aforementioned issues, I really don't see how they had much choice. It is sort of a chicken and egg situation.

Still think it was a bad idea. That huge parking lot along the Lucas St viaduct would have been the perfect place for it downtown.

Hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps they could have gotten the state to cough up some money and use it for Francis Marion's basketball games (like NCSU did with the RBC Centura Center in Raleigh).

As a side note, does anyone remember when the City-County tower was uplit at night? I haven't lived in Florence since 1986, but seems like they turned the lights off about that time.

Edited by Miesian Corners

The parking lot you are referring to is nowhere near big enough. That area is very unsightly and not many people would be willing to park their car there at night.

FMU, formerly FMC, does play some of it's games at the center. Also, the state donated $5million to the construction of it. Even with $5mm in state money and a 25 acre land donationn to soften the financial impact, there was still very strong opposition to the center, which nearly succeeded in killing it. A couple of the councilmen that voted for it lost their next election.

I remember when the complex was lit at night. I wish they would return to that, but then again almost nobody would see it at night anyway.

Believe it or not, Florence was a progressive little city not so long ago, but the leadership changed and the local mindset did too.

In defense of the Florence Civic Center location, it would have been difficult to site it downtown.  The current site is 25 acres and was DONATED for free, despite being very valuable land.  A single city block is like 4 acres.  It would have taken 4-6 city blocks to build downtown.  That would not be very feasible.  Plus, that would have added significantly to the cost.  It was already a stretch for the city & county to fund the project as it was. 

Also, the project was very controversial and there would have been even more opposition if it had been sited downtown.  No one goes downtown and the PERCEPTION of crime, is that it's high. 

Also, there is some logic to the fact that an easy on/easy off from the interstate would attract more concerts.  It has been difficult to attract concerts even were it is, it would be even worse without the easily accessible location. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That perception is accurate. When I went there I saw what reminded me of the bad neighborhoods from my hometown, so I associate it with crime.

Locating the civic center further from the interstate would not be to the benefit of the concerts, but to the city. They should build to suit the town, and not the people who entertain for 1 evening. Florence is a smaller city, but it isnt insignificant.

I base that on Spartanburg, which has a smaller auditorium capacity than the Florence Civic Center's, and has managed to attract some significant acts like Jerry Seinfeld and 'A Prarie Home Comanion' or whatever that radion show is called. I think its one of those situations to where if they build it, they will come.

I do understand that a free 25acre plot would be hard to turn down though.

the civic center may be too large for this community. we rarely have situations where it is filled to capacity. fyi, i believe the hockey team played its last game in florence tonight. attendance has been down again this year and i heard that the team did not spend the $ on the players this year, thus contributing to a bad season. they needed 3,500 avg attendance and ended up w/ around 2,500 avg. tv said that the team was likely heading to myrtle beach. i had fun at hockey games its just hard to justify $11 for A-league hockey .. most people just do not have the $ to consistently go to hockey games with their kids and all, in defense of the team though, i thought they played hard and that management tried creative promotions to bring in crowds. this is just too small a market i suppose. league-wide though attendance is down. charleston stingrays doesnt draw the crowds it used to either.

there were two articles in the paper today.. one mentioned the sales tax/road project referendum. major projects listed were pineneedles rd. 301 bypass, pamplico hwy. hwy 378

the other article mentioned a townhouse development planned for 16 acres near hoffmeyer and ebenezer rd. w/ 160 units. its a single family residence area and the citizens are disgruntled of course.

This is an excerpt from an article in the P & C about a project in Florence. Also, when I visited my fiancee down there this weekend, as we drove north on I-95, we saw two big buildings being constructed right off the interstate. Are these what this excerpt is talking about, or is that another project? You should see it, it is going to be a big office complex. If anybody could information on this, that would be cool.

BUILD TO SUIT

Choate Construction Co.'s Mount Pleasant office has been picked to build the first phase of the planned 400,000-square-foot Southeastern Institute of Manufacturing & Technology campus in Florence.

The purpose of the $44 million education complex is to train students and workers from around the country, with an emphasis on Southeastern states, for cutting-edge manufacturing jobs.

Choate's project totals 222,943 square feet.

Choate is based in Atlanta.

It's official...

Pride to cease play in Florence, move to beach

By DOUG REESE

Morning News

FLORENCE - The ECHL's board of governors has unanimously approved the Pee Dee Pride request for Voluntary Suspension for 2005-06.

The Board also approved the request for a Transfer of Home Territory from Florence, South Carolina to Conway/Myrtle Beach, South Carolina where the Pride will begin play in 2006-07 in a new arena that will begin construction in the summer of 2005 on the campus of Coastal Carolina University.

Anyone have a pic of the McLeod's main building since they added floors to it?  I always liked that building and fear they ef'd it up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The original building, which is 7 stories and was built in '79 is what I refer to as the Main building. That is not that the building getting the additional floors. A newer building (built in the '90s) and once called the Women's Pavilion is the one getting the new floors. www.mcleodhealth.org has a rendering from the back of that building.

The original building, which is 7 stories and was built in '79 is what I refer to as the Main building.  That is not that the building getting the additional floors.  A newer building (built in the '90s) and once called the Women's Pavilion is the one getting the new floors.  www.mcleodhealth.org has a rendering from the back of that building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Thanks vic.

• 3 weeks later...

As I frequently travel to Florence to see my fiancee, I am noticing more construction in this city, and I have found another big project. If you come in to town on I-20, you will notice an 8-story building being constructed. This is going to be a big Hilton Garden Inn, and in its vicinity, different restaurants are planned to be built. I guess this is supposed to supplement Magnolia Mall and the Florence Civic Center.

Heh, maybe they should just call this area of Florence downtown, and call the old area around McLeod hospital and the city/county building "uptown". :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know the construction of the McLeod Tower Downtown is moving along fairly well.  It is supposed to be at least 12 stories and there are 2 massive cranes that were constructed for the project. 

By the way, the tomorrow is the 1st annual pecan festival downtown.  Hopefully, it'll become something good, I don't expect much this year though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the exact location of this tower? Is it a done deal?