Spartan

Florence Developments

$12 mm will be invested into the Old Post Office at Evans and Irby (between new Judicial Center and the new Medical School building). FMU will be putting some medical related programs in that building.  

The city council will vote on Monday to annex about 240 acres at the I-95/ West Palmetto intersection. The city is building a major Soccer complex there and the adjoining acreage will have related developments like hotels and restaurants.   

I've attached 3 images of the building on the corner of Irby and Evans where Carolina Bank is restoring what was an originally a masonic temple for their new home office. The pictures are the building as it was originally, how it looks now with the 3rd floor removed, and the architects rendering of the restoration.

original.jpg

now.jpg

Rendering.jpg

I've been trying to get a definitive answer as to when and why the floor was removed, but no one seems to know. The date on the original photo is 1908, and I found the following photo which looks like the 1940s judging by the cars, and the floor had been removed by then.

Corner_Irby_and_Evans_F_W_Woolworth-46-800-600-80.jpg

City Council meets today to lay the groundwork for a major investment in DT. $17mm in public funds and $40 mm in private investment. 

It will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. 

I've heard rumor that FMU is wanting to redevelop the Florentine Apartments property - and by redevelop, I mean tear down and build new. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the topic of the city council meeting.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:44 AM, vicupstate said:

^^ Interesting.  DId the rumor specify if it was academic space or dormitories or something else?

The vote was approved but no new info. It gives the impression of a business opportunity vs. educational but maybe that is just my inference. 

Council approves $40 million investment  

The $57 mm project is for that block [Evans, McQueen, Baroody, Coit]. Not sure how much of the block is involved. A major eye clinic has just been built in that block (Stokes).   $17 mm in public money and $40 in private.