Florence Developments

Spartan

Yeah, I was very impressed.  Last time through Florence, I noticed some work, but nothing as nice as this.  Actually, this new tower may be the state's most attractive hospital building (from the outside anyway). :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is going to be a nice building. The rendering is actually the rear view, BTW. The original McLeod building (next to the one in the rendering)is the best looking hospital building I have ever seen anywhere. It was built in 1979 and still looks brand new and distinctive. This summer I hope to post some shoots of it. Hospitals everywhere are notoriously bland in architecture. Florence is lucky to have one of the rare exceptions. There is another hospital there, and it looks pretty good too. We will see how well it looks over time.

• 2 weeks later...

the latest stuff i've heard regarding downtown is that Florence Little Theater and Fine Arts Center could quite possibly become separate buildings. From what I heard there would be significant stumbling blocks in combining the two buildings w/ scheduling and whatnot. I guess the point of it being is there may end up two separate arts centers in downtown - located near the library of course. Also, the prospective investors for a new mixed use office building at the old mcleod hospital sight (demolished several years ago) are a group of local doctors.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been several articles recently about the new development going on in Florence and how it does not conform to existing neighborhoods. For Instance, next door to the Whitehall neighborhood (2000+ sq. ft homes 2+ acre lots, a new development is going in that will contain 180+ homes on around 48 acres. There is also a 200 duplex triplex development planned in another single family area of Florence. What seems to be the cause of this is the lack of zoning or stricter zoning is these preexisting neighborhood areas. There is significant lack of infrastructure in some of these areas to absorb the additional traffic. The new Super Wal-Mart is also closer to being built next to an upper class residential area, raising the ire of the residents. There is needs to be changes quick before the integrity of our nicer neighborhoods is lost completely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Downtown Florence doesn't really look dangerous in those pics...I mean it doesn't look healthy either, just looks like your typical downtown that has yet to rebound....

Maybe it doesn't look dangerous to me b/c I grew up a few miles from downtown Durham, which unfortunately also has a really bad reputation for crime. Most of the time these perceptions end up being false, crime in some areas tend to be over publicized compared to crimes in other areas...

Downtown Florence doesn't really look dangerous in those pics...I mean it doesn't look healthy either, just looks like your typical downtown that has yet to rebound....

Maybe it doesn't look dangerous to me b/c I grew up a few miles from downtown Durham, which unfortunately also has a really bad reputation for crime. Most of the time these perceptions end up being false, crime in some areas tend to be over publicized compared to crimes in other areas...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Traveling on US 76 from the east heading into Florence has to be a prime example of a dilapidated and crime-ridden gateway. It looks good when passing Francis Marion University and the airport, but after that, the east entryway has never looked good. This removal of the airplane-eyesore is a great step in helping to transform that area. The redevelopment is only in the beginning stages, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must admit, Durham DOES get a bad rep. The only time I actually visited the city was in '94, and I really can't remember anything about the city.

an article was written, focusing on the gridlock beach traffic causes in florence, interestingly enough it is true that all internet directions for midwesterns take them directly through the middle of town instead of utilizing the i 95, 327 bypass route. i was in the traffic saturday and it was rediculous. I 20 spur and palmetto st were a traffic jam

www.morningnewsonline.com

Edited by thebarb20

• 3 weeks later...

This post is about Darlington. Since it is in Florence's MSA, I thought it would be most appropriate here.

Darlington City Council recently held a meeting to hear from downtown planning experts about the state of the city's downtown. A survey was conducted among residents which stated that the downtown parking situation is poor and the area suffers from the perception that it

They still have races at the track, but they lost their Winston Cup (Nextel now) race that was held on Labor day. It is in California now. In the Nascar world, that is like taking away major league baseball and replacing it with the minor leagues. The major drivers, television exposure, and the massive crowds are all gone now.