Florence Developments

Spartan

They face an impossible challenge. Similar to many small Southern towns, the best, brightest, and most ambitious young people are forced to leave, simply to make a living. This is what really kills these places. FMU, being remotely located in the countryside, on the "wrong" side of town, is disconnected from the rest of the city. There are no attendent businesses such as bookstores, cafes, retailers, etc. that one finds in every other college town. No definable college "district". Only a convenience store, trailer parks, and some sub-standard slum apartments that would have been condemned and demolished long ago in any other city. Add to this a huge (and growing) unassimilable welfare population, and you have a recipe for inevitable decline.

I agree with mcashlv on FMU being way too far out in the sticks for it's associated college life to have much effect on the culture of the town. I don't see any merging happening in our lifetime. I also agree that downtown redevelopment will be tough considering that it borders the slums of east and north Florence. I have to ride down Dargan and Evans St often after work, and I can only shake my head, as it's the same every day: rundown storefronts, hip hop blaring from boomboxes, groups hanging out in front of businesses, etc. etc. Who is going pay to clean up the storesfronts? The business owners? The building owners? Is the city going to put pressure on the owners to clean up the filth? Until that happens, no popular retailer/restaurant will locate there, and downtown will continue to close down after 6PM (except for the vagrants, crack addicts, and prostitutes).

While I don't agree it's an impossible challenge, it is going to be tough. I hope it does, though, as a city without a vibrant downtown is no city at all, it's just a....place.

In which city is it NOT the case that the CBD borders some less-than-desirable part of town, particularly just north of downtown on the city's main street. Maybe Florence has more work cut out for it than any other city its size, but if the city is TRULY committed to having a thriving downtown area, it can be done.

Concerning downtown ballparks (mentioned earlier in the thread), I think Florence city leaders would do well to take a trip over to Greenville tonight for the season opener of the Greenville Drive at the new West End Stadium and follow the success and revitalization of that area of downtown over the next few years, as it will surely come.

Hmm, Florence is in decline?

If florence is in decline, How come so many residental homes are being built priced well above 150K

If Florence is in Decline, How come so many resteraunts are moving here. (wouldnt they know economic trends better than our meager perspective)

If Florence is in decline, why are a number of larger retail stores moving there (Same logic as above)

If florence is in decline, why are financial instituates poping up, and surviving

If florence is in decline, why are sigificant investments taking place in the arts

Why are there promising revitalization progams being put forth for downtwon.

Is Florence Grenville, Charlsetown, Charlotte? Absolutly not. You seem to be condeming not just florence but all smaller cities to ruin. In case you havent noticed, and it seems you have, florence is undergoing a quite but noticible cunstruction boom in the housing, retail and office markets.

As a note, Ive heard rumours of a Carrabas going up near Cicuit City, any one else heard this?

Cheers

Edited by jjoshjl

Hmm, Florence is in decline?

If florence is in decline, How come so many residental homes are being built priced well above 150K

If Florence is in Decline, How come so many resteraunts are moving here. (wouldnt they know economic trends better than our meager perspective)

If Florence is in decline, why are a number of larger retail stores moving there (Same logic as above)

If florence is in decline, why are financial instituates poping up, and surviving

If florence is in decline, why are sigificant investments taking place in the arts

Why are there promising revitalization progams being put forth for downtwon.

Is Florence Grenville, Charlsetown, Charlotte? Absolutly not. You seem to be condeming not just florence but all smaller cities to ruin. In case you havent noticed, and it seems you have, florence is undergoing a quite but noticible cunstruction boom in the housing, retail and office markets.

As a note, Ive heard rumours of a Carrabas going up near Cicuit City, any one else heard this?

Cheers

Way to go Florence! I applaud your enthusiasm for your great city.

You make some good points Josh. I think its easy for all of us to overlook a place like Florence when it is percieved in a certain light- which is often based on what is goin gon downtown. However, being the heart of the Pee Dee, which has not been the most economically prosperous region of SC as of late, it is easy to make certain assumtptions.... of course, you know what happens when you assume....

what up guys. I decided to come look since i knew the FRB would get some attention here. They are a progressive company that decided to hit the local market hard b/c people here wanted to get away from "big boy banking" like wachovia, b of a, etc. the founders came from the pee dee state bank which sold out to centura and centura quickly lost all of the customer base w/ its rediculous fees. so to promote the growth, FRB has decided to go after growing high income markets, lexington, and mt. pleasant. in addition to florence.

florence needs to retain some of the locals here who are educated and not lose them to bigger cities. i recently turned down a job in wilmington nc b/c i could not afford the rent up there on my salary i would've gotten. therefore, looks like im gonna stick in flo and go live in my grandma's old house for free. but what do ya do. i have an mba and i think that someone w/ associate's in nursing makes a good bit more than i'll make here in flo. oh well haha

anyway, downtown will get there, i think they will force the urban blight out to the north of DT and put in a border of green space especially on those sides of town. inevitably as DT improves , rent will go up. this will force the undesireables out of there we hope.

^But I'm sure there are more hard-working, law-abiding folks trying to make an honest living who will also be "forced out" along with the "undesirables." Furthermore, all this is doing is shifting the problem to another part of town. Granted, you want a strong core, but at the same time, you've also got to actually make strides to solve problems, instead of just relocating them.

We hope to hear more good news coming out of Flo-town. :thumbsup:

Well, jobs for higher education do exist. I am getting ready to move back in two weeks to a job that requires higher education (and getting paid more than I am here in JAX). I've noticed a trend. Florence is a great market for low education people (as is every market in the US) its a so-so market for educated individuals with limited experience, but an even better market for educated individuals WITH experience. Why? Because it is far more difficult to find a job strait out of college in florence primarily because FMU/Coker produce a disproportionant amount of educated individuals for the area. The result, people move away to other markets. What ends up happening is thre is a sorta vacume for people who have 5 or more years of experience because they all moved away after college. So, companies that need the higher educated people end up having to import outside talent. The makes it then appear to college grads and lower educated individuals that there are no positions for Higher educated because the need is for 5+ years experience and not 0-3. Dont know if it makes sense or not, but it does in my head. hoepfully i got it out clear enough to atelast get the basic of it...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some interesting economic news for Florence. I certainly don't see the Fortune 500 company moving to Florence, but it makes me wonder where they may be looking. Could any SC city be on the short list?

There are rumors that Home Depot is looking to leave Atlanta, possibly to FL. The FL legislature just approved a law regarding possible incentives. Jacksonville may be in the intention. Still just rumors at this point.

Florence Economic Developer sees rosey future

Some other good news regarding the Energy plant that was recently announced. Schedule is moving up. Environmentalists may have some problems though.

Santee Cooper moving up plant schedule

Some good news for nearby Timmonsville too..

New Timmonsville plant to hire 20-50 initially

Good to know things are still looking up for the Pee Dee. Project Cardinal looks like it could be huge. If Home Depot leaves Atlanta, the citizens may break down and start crying; the city has been taking a few hits lately.

Wow, could Home Depot actually consider Florence for its new HQ? The article stated that this Fortune 500 company would bring 3,000 jobs. This number would be inaccurate if Home Depot is the company looking at the city. The company would bring 5,500 jobs to the Florence area...2,500 more jobs is a big difference! :thumbsup:

Florence does have great appeal with access to two (eventually three with I-73) interstates, low cost of living, and lower taxes than the expensive Atlanta. Also, locating the HQ in DT Florence would be fairly easy with cheap land to build on. Couple these advantages with much quicker access to the Port of Chas and two of the Southeast's top tourist destinations (MB and Chas), Home Depot could consider coming to Flo-town. Needless to say, this would be huge for Florence and the Pee Dee region. It would spur other large economic developments such as shopping centers, neighborhoods, and other businesses. It is a tremendous opportunity for the city, if it is true.

Jax may have the edge, however, primarily because HD's distribution center in Savannah would be closer there than Florence. Heck, we'll just have to wait and see.

Keep in mind that the F500 company being mentioned may NOT be Home Depot at all, but another F500. Also, Home Depot could move it's HQ elsewhere, but still keep some of it's operatins in ATL. Plus, Home Depot is not leanding credence to these rumors.

Frankly, it would be very difficult to imagine ANY F500 company settling in a city with such a small airport, not to mention lacking the big city quality of life that such companies need to attract employees.