Florence Developments

Spartan

there is a new "something" going up behind the civic center , called Arbor One Center. I havent had good interaction w/ that company however i hope they do well i guess. They are formally known as Pee Dee Farm Credit.

Also I'd be willing to bet the corner of Pine/Gaillard is owned by McLeod , they like buying that area up it seems. You can verify for yourselves at florenceco.org on the property tax section, just put in the street name and see what comes up.

there is a new "something" going up behind the civic center , called Arbor One Center. I havent had good interaction w/ that company however i hope they do well i guess. They are formally known as Pee Dee Farm Credit.

Also I'd be willing to bet the corner of Pine/Gaillard is owned by McLeod , they like buying that area up it seems. You can verify for yourselves at florenceco.org on the property tax section, just put in the street name and see what comes up.

What is the size of this Arbor One Center going to be? Are there going to be more office in the center, or just Arbor One?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

word on the street is the new Home Depot has not done well so far. Could be that its very difficult to get to at this point with the butchered up roads and no stop light yet. Florence did drop the ball on this project years ago by not improving radio road when the civic center was built.

word on the street is the new Home Depot has not done well so far. Could be that its very difficult to get to at this point with the butchered up roads and no stop light yet. Florence did drop the ball on this project years ago by not improving radio road when the civic center was built.

Here's what Radio Road looks like now, single laned with a raised median. Why this road wasn't widened to two lanes both ways is beyond me. And even this temporary fix should been done a year ago before Home Depot opened.

408981229_a4400615b2_o.jpg

408981230_0ac5f6a87c_o.jpg

Arbor One will not be all that significant from what I hear. Also , I'm getting word that a large announcement may be soon. Thers also a new hotel under construction @ I 95 and Hwy 52. Didnt know we needed another one up there eh. It will be at the north end of the interchange near the Ramada.

According to the paper this morning. The mixed-used office building on the corner of Dargan & Cheves (Old McLeod site) is about to get off the ground. The city council voted to sell 1 acre of property to the investment group and I'm assuming this rumor will finally come to reality. It did mention that there was 2+ acres in the entire Old McLeod site. so maybe the other part can be used for... a parking garage? who knows. but that would be cool.

• 1 month later...

Dick's Sporting goods just opened on the back of the mall. Also there is a new restaurant coming called Indigo Joe's. anyone familiar with it?

Yes. It is very similiar to Applebee's. The Greenville News reported yesterday that one is being built in Greenville too. According to the locations on Indigo Joe's website, the only two being built in the state right now are in Greenville and Florence.

• 4 weeks later...

i read in the paper that the economic development board stated that they were courting 13 or so companies and florence was the leader for 4 of them. any clue who that might be? also , they stated that economic conditions in florida are forcing companies to move up 95 for lower cost areas mainly b/c of health insurance costs and probably taxes and or real estate costs i think. so interestingly, florence seems to gain big-time by leveraging our low cost region. over time though as growth occurs we will lose some of those characteristics that made us attractive in the first place to these companies.

seems kinda quiet lately w/ lack of news out there

Though I don't criticize any increase in Jobs, hopefully, they will not simply be service based jobs like shipping and receiving. These are good and noble industries, but they tend to also have a lower average pay. Also, as companies move here, more companies will move here. Even if a large number do move up here from Fl, which would be nice, Florence won't need to worry about the land value problem for a LONG time.

Personally, what I want to see is a 15 story Glass Mid rise housing financial and business types going up along 52 and DT. (sorta where the Department of Health is) Lets not put these companies that want to move here out on the outskirts if they can...

Ahh.... but I'm just dreaming i think...

I don't know what that link was for, but here is one from the same day, talking about the brewpub in downtown.

Brew Pub

Hopefully, it WILL open and help revive that area of downtown. Currently, North Dargan and the 100 block of Evans Street is a filthy eyesore. So what is the city doing about it? Opening up a public "square" between two of the dilapidated buildings, in the hopes that it will become a community meeting spot for public concerts etc. Given what currently surrounds it, this is a great waste of public funds, a la Harllee Square back in the '70's. When is the city going to start pressuring land owners to fix up their crumbling, boarded up buildings? Is there no codes enforcement? Are there any codes?

If I was a CEO looking to locate in Florence, one ride through this slum in the heart of downtown would cause me to look elsewhere (that and the silly Sunday alcohol blue laws). The theatre and performing arts center will help to bring people downtown. But like the library has done nothing to promote foot traffic on South Dargan, these alone will not bring foot traffic a little furthur north. People will park as close as possible, then get in their cars as fast as possible to avoid getting robbed. Whether that's a fair perception of the area is irrelevant; that's what it is. Would anyone want to walk in that area at night to get a beer at a brewpub? There are at least 2 entrepreneurs who are taking a risk in this, the seediest part of town. Will the city do their part to help this venture to succeed?

Edited by flotown

Personally, what I want to see is a 15 story Glass Mid rise housing financial and business types going up along 52 and DT. (sorta where the Department of Health is) Lets not put these companies that want to move here out on the outskirts if they can...

I too would love to see a mid rise go up in downtown. Something about a few tall buildings (15+ stories) that gives a community some pride about their downtown. But the last I heard, the office complex going up on the old McLeod site is only going to be 3 stories...yawn. It's better than a grass field, but definitely a big disappointment to many. Not that there would be any tenants to fill a 15 story building. Or a 10. Or a 5, for that matter. Sadly, the I-20 mall to mall strip and 52/95 area are where it's happening in Florence, and likely where any non-McLeod building over 5 stories will be built (and they're likely to be hotels).

On the plus side, QVC does have a corporate presence in downtown in the old Peoples Federal building. I'll snap a pic and post it in a few days.