Florence Developments

Spartan

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your question: absolutely Florence can have its own subforum at some point. What we need is for people like you and anyone else who's interested in talking about what's happening in Florence to 1) sign up (ITS FREE) and 2) keep the discussions alive. We base which subforums we create largely on the amount of participation we are getting from any certain place. Thats why there isn't one already. We have a few people who talk about Florence, and quite a few threads actually, but not enough to warrant a forum- yet.

i think there are plenty of people passionate about our economic development that would post into its own forum, it seemed like MB's activity was quite low until they got their own forum. i keep an eye out here once a week to see if theres something going on that i missed.

in regards to traffic i've started taking 340 to work to avoid pineneedles rd. its quite awful right now which further magnifies the need for the 2 lane rd. i have consistently ran into traffic @ 7:45 AM when turning onto the bridge from southborough rd. stoplight, thats a solid mile of traffic backing up

i think there are plenty of people passionate about our economic development that would post into its own forum, it seemed like MB's activity was quite low until they got their own forum. i keep an eye out here once a week to see if theres something going on that i missed.

Myrtle Beach is an example of a mistake because we made that forum thinking it would jumpstart discussions. Now it sits pretty much unused. We don't want to repeat that.

Myrtle Beach is an example of a mistake because we made that forum thinking it would jumpstart discussions. Now it sits pretty much unused. We don't want to repeat that.
I agree Spartan. 20 or so posts in 2 months is not worthy of a subforum. We're lucky enough to have a pinned thread at the top, (and I'm wondering if we're even worthy of that).

I've been slack myself lately with posting. Partly due to work conflicts, partly due to laziness, and partly due to the inactivity on the board. I'll try to post a little more often in the coming months and hopefully others will do likewise. But truth be told, there needs to be topics to talk about and a significant number of UP members who are interested in adding to the Florence thread. Currently their are neither.

Maybe by next year, we'll be as active as the Grand Rapids MI thread :rolleyes:

I take that back....their are a few things going on. This is a few months old, but it is a positive article regarding what's going on in the downtown area.

http://www.scbiznews.com/content/view/19752/1/.

Should the link expire, I'm posting the text below.

Do not paste articles. Please familiarize yourelf with the rules of UrbanPlanet.

Edited by Spartan

The plans for the Performing Arts Center downtown are being fine tuned and I would guess we should see the completed architects renderings soon.

According to this article in the Morning News, the center will include a 900 seat auditorium, a black box theatre (no seating capacity given), classroom space, and a 500 seat outdoor amphitheater.

The Florence/MB market will be getting an NBC affiliate soon. It will likely take the place of WIS and WECT. Read more about it in this thread...

WMBF

That's good news for Florence-Myrtle Beach. I can remember growing up there when there was only CBS--WBTW TV-13 for many years. No wonder CBS dominated the broadcast ratings for decades...TV-13 would later become mostly CBS and little bit of ABC shows...before the area got its first true-ABC affilate WPDE TV-15. I was in college in Charleston, SC, by then...

Also, I like the downtown performing arts center rendering...I know the city wasn't named after Florence, Italy, but wouldn't it be nice if it looked somewhat like bigger/internationally known Florence, or was even a sister-city? Florence, Italy, is one of the most beautiful cities/places I've ever seen...Then, Italy with such beautiful cities like Rome, Naples, Milan, Venice..., is a hard place to not fall in love...

Edited by Zahc

If we can pull it off and get the performing arts district up and running like the rendering shows, it will go a long way to boosting the DT area. Looks like it is trying to start getting some street level interaction going on.. critical requirement if you ask me.

Also good to hear about NBC affiliate...

Here's to Hoping

terrible that it burned down, a true landmark. there was news today on the job front about adp annoucing an expansion in their cubicle farm. this should help soften the blow of impending job cuts from wamu's and bank of america's mortgage operations. it'd be nice to get more tech stuff instead of service jobs to help further diversify the workforce

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...09-25-0024.html

Its stuff like this that makes my blood boil.. NIMBYs!...

Some people really have NO clue what it means to be a city. While the area in question is out near TV Road, and not quite as developed, the logic behind these people is absolutely egregious. What in the world is Urban Sprawl anyway... Let me see, this means higher density population, things closer together, street interaction becomes possible if done right.Increased cultural diversity, REDUCTION in traffic due to less SUB-urban sprawl...

Yea, I can see how this is a bad thing...

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing houses going up as well, but incorporate that into the plan if you want single family properties as well.. Have a mixed use environment...

If anyone is interested in trying to make Florence a better place... here is your chance... email those involved. Tell them to move forward with multi family properties. Tell them the benefits, and the disadvantages of succumbing to low density, suburban sprawl.

Take a stand people... it needs to start somewhere...

Cheers

Some may have already heard that the local institution, the Skyview Drive-In restaurant burned down recently. Here's the article from the morning news. I used to eat there all the time as a teenager (and adult).

Skyview Burns Down

14183305_f69ef53785_b.jpg

14183304_36d9f7f631_b.jpg

Terrible news!! :( The link does not work, and I cannot find any mention of it on the FMN website (pretty useless). Did the sign and car port survive? If so, they can rebuild with the original sign and car port intact!

Urban Planet was recently mentioned in the local Florence paper, and Digital Sandlapper was mentioned by name in the Thom Anderson paragraph. It talked about Florence's poor history of preservation efforts. I'd post the actual item here, but I don't think that is allowed at UP.

Wow, I made the paper? I gotta see this . . I'll search on the Florence Morning News website, although it seems to delete most older stories since I couldn't find anything about the SkyView Drive-in.

Hope my little 2 cents got a few people riled up (for better or worse) to talk about this important issue, or at least added some fuel to that fire!