Florence Developments

Spartan

One of them is, yes. I think its the one for Math & Science. The Governor's School for the Arts is in Greenville. There might be one other, but I am not sure. They also have Coker College and SONOCO. Sonoco basicly is the town. If they left, Hartsville would die.

• 3 weeks later...

Hartsville is the world headquarters of Sonoco Packaging Products. They are huge (also a big contributor to NPR :)).

Darlington's worst mistake was bulldozing the old courthouse and building that hideous thing that took its place.

The old courthouse

sc_darlington01.jpg

The new courthouse

darlingct.JPG

Funny, the new courthouse looks like a short, brick version of the old Wachovia Center in Charlotte

400-photo.jpg

Wow, that WAS an atrocious mistake. The old courthouse had charm. Oh well, the mistakes cities have made in order to make room for the "new" have sometimes had some ugly consequences.

And the new courthouse does resemble the old Wachovia on Tryon, even down to the semi-circular arches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone in Darlington County laments that mistake. Recently a local dov't bureaucrat with an architecture background drew a "revision" for the courthouse. He put a sloped roof on it and columns around it. It wasn't put online, but it was in the print edition of the Morning News.

To me they ought to just demolish the existing building and start over with a historical replica.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to think that each city that demolished something historic for that moderist crap should be foreced to keep it as a reminder of the mistakes of the past. Also, regardless of our dislike of these buildings, they are a part of our history too, so why not keep a few?

I'm not saying this particular one should be kept- that was just an idea I had marinating in the back :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehting to consider for a cool october night...

City to have Pumpkin Patch at Magnolia Mall

FLORENCE - The public is invited to celebrate fall with a visit to the Pumpkin Patch at Magnolia Mall.

The City of Florence Parks and Leisure Services will sponsor the event Wednesday and Thursday at the center court fountain. The Pumpkin Patch will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 2 to 5 p.m. both days. The Pumpkin Patch is geared for children 6 and younger.

On Wednesday, there will be a costume contest. Registration will be from 5 to 5:45 p.m. The contest will start at 6 p.m.

Entry to the Pumpkin Patch and costume contests is free. For group registration, call (843) 665-3253.

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/servlet/S...d=1128767739599

Fate of old high school site still uncertain

TIMMONSVILLE - Florence School District 4 officials discussed Tuesday the future of the former Timmonsville High School site ....

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/servlet/S...&path=!news

Personally, I think this is a perfect chance for things to start to turn around in Timmonsville. It is currently beingovertaken by florence, so, this would eb a perfect site to build some kind of office complex or something there abouts at a much cheaper rate than in florence. It would give the local economy a shot in the arm as well. One day, Ild love to see them revitalize there downtown though and this would be a good jumpstart. it has the perfect sorta small town downtown charm about it, but since there are so few tenants, it jsut looks beat (my dad is one of the few tenants there) Anyway, if they use that land wisely, they might be able to start to revitalize it some as Florence starts to over take it.

Just my thought though

Cheers

If you jsut include timmonsville, no more than 2000 ild say. Florence has been steadily growing in that direction along highway 76 that you dont realy notice youve left florence. Its been run down for many years, but its starting to come out of it. I keep hearing romours about FLorence incorporating it into their school system, which would be a very good idea, but Its jsut been rumor as far as Im concerned. My mom and dad grew up there and they botht hink they should just go on and consolidate T-ville into Florence. If they can get some real moeny flowing in there, t-ville could be a very pretty area...

From erpsonal refrence, If they ever got the Downtwon cleaned up, it would look alot like San Marco in Jax Fl. There are so many large, and old (in a good way) houses in timmonsville, that if they ever incoorporate timmosnville, landvalue would sky rocket there. There is a subdivesion of florence not 3-4 miles away called Oakdale. Its one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Florence. The only diferance who 'owns' the town

Anyway, i ramble...

I miss Florence and jsut want to see her start to grow up a little.

Cheers

Alrigt Guys..

So, if youve ever been to florence, you knwo ts not a bad city, just sorta hanging out though.

So, What do you think would be some good ideas to spur some real developement in Florence. I mean, if you think bou it, its the only city of any size in the NE portion of the state (dont includ the beaches because thats mostly tourism), Its got a vast medical complex, it has acces to major highways and rails. So, What can be down to give florence a good kick

Cheers

Note: The following recommendations are not from me. A friend of mine who has involvement with the Florence Development commission asked me to post his thoughts. He wishes to remain anonymous.

Phase One- The complete restoration of downtown streets with Palmetto tree-lined streets, brick sidewalks. Replacement of street lamps with ones that mimic ones from the 20's.

Phase Two- Speeding up construction of the new 9 story judicial center with a public plaza and water features and the Florence county seal imbedded in brick in the large public plaza.

Phase Three- Construction of a new 8 to possible 10 story office building to help hold the overwhelming doctors' offices that are scattered around McLeod Hospital. Building also has a parking deck attached to it to help hold the cars visiting and working in the building from clogging the downtown streets. Downtown Performing arts center is tied into this new tower with a wonderful pedestrian friendly plaza and many well known plays performed within this center.

Phase Four-Construction of a downtown ballpark, ballpark use to replace Freedom Florence as location for youth and adult baseball tournaments. Funds are paid for by local university baseball teams, Francis Marion, Florence-Darlington Tech and minor league Florence Red Wolves. Ballpark to be made of brick and have the history of Florence built into its fa

Edited by waccamatt

If you jsut include timmonsville, no more than 2000 ild say. Florence has been steadily growing in that direction along highway 76 that you dont realy notice youve left florence. Its been run down for many years, but its starting to come out of it. I keep hearing romours about FLorence incorporating it into their school system, which would be a very good idea, but Its jsut been rumor as far as Im concerned. My mom and dad grew up there and they botht hink they should just go on and consolidate T-ville into Florence. If they can get some real moeny flowing in there, t-ville could be a very pretty area...

From erpsonal refrence, If they ever got the Downtwon cleaned up, it would look alot like San Marco in Jax Fl. There are so many large, and old (in a good way) houses in timmonsville, that if they ever incoorporate timmosnville, landvalue would sky rocket there. There is a subdivesion of florence not 3-4 miles away called Oakdale. Its one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Florence. The only diferance who 'owns' the town

Anyway, i ramble...

I miss Florence and jsut want to see her start to grow up a little.

Cheers

Actually, Timmonsville is already incorporated. It has always struggled for economic prosperity and is easily the poorest area of Florence County.

However, things have been looking up the last few years. All of the schools were replaced with new facilities. Unfortunately, the poor test scores, etc. still are a drag on the area's prospects. Timmonsvillle has it's own school district separate from Florence's

The best thing to happen to Timmonsville in decades was when the Honda plant opened a few years ago. It has brought around 1,500 decent paying jobs to that area. These were much needed, and gave a very substantial boost to the tax base.

Josh, you make a very good point about the victorian houses in Timmonsville. There are some nice ones and the DT Main Street could be made nice as well. Antique shops, restaurants, etc. could do well there, if it was done right. This is where I think Timmonsville should invest in itself. A strong merchant's association that could promote a an advertising campaign for such a district would be a great first step. The next time I am visiting home, I might run over there and see how it is looking these days.

I'll post later on the prospects for Florence.

Florence County to review Judicial Center options

I think the County should purchase the city's share (29%) of the city-county complex instead of building new. The city should then move it's city offices to the old Post Office.

If the county still needs more room, it should buy one of the vacant buildings downtown and rehab it for county offices. The Florence Trust Building would be a good candidate. Also, the old Libary might work as well.

Edited by vicupstate

Florence County to review Judicial Center options

I think the County should purchase the city's share (29%) of the city-county complex instead of building new. The city should then move it's city offices to the old Post Office.

If the county still needs more room, it should buy one of the vacant buildings downtown and rehab it for county offices. The Florence Trust Building would be a good candidate. Also, the old Libary might work as well.

Here are some pictures of the Old Post Office and the Florence Trust Building. The Old Post Office is the three story beige building, The Trust Building is the red brick 7 story one.

post-511-1131200504_thumb.jpg

post-511-1131200579_thumb.jpg

Edited by vicupstate