Florence Developments

Spartan

• 3 weeks later...

Flornce attempting Revitalization Plan for Downtown

http://www.cityofflorence.com/news/index_news.html

The downtown area will be revitalized by focusing on three districts including the downtown center (14 blocks), the arts and cultural district (12 blocks) and the historical district,

Hopefully some movement will come of this and Downtown can get cleaned up a little

Cheers

morning news reported 2 potential new projects in the work for florence, one employer has the potential to bring 700 new jobs initially. this is very exciting news for the area. there is also a new economic development director for the region that came in from statesville, nc. if anybody has heard any specifics about companies looking to relocate here that would be cool. just thought throw this line out as to the news that just got released.

I wonder if this is the Washington Mutual deal. A few months back, Jacksoville's Times Union ran an article about WaMo looking at adding about 600 employees to the pay roles. Jacksonville was one fo the Locations. It also mentioned the Florence was one of the places it was considering for this expansion as well.

700 jobs may be headed to Florence.

This is great news if it happens. The area has long suffered from high levels of unemployment. Hopefully one or both with pan out. Gov. Sanford could use some of this type news as well.

:yahoo:

I really hope this pans out for the Pee Dee, which is unarguably the largest economically depressed region of the state. And this WILL be a shot in the arm for the governor. It seems as though he's beginning to pull it in in the home stretch.

I wonder if this is the Washington Mutual deal. A few months back, Jacksoville's Times Union ran an article about WaMo looking at adding about 600 employees to the pay roles. Jacksonville was one fo the Locations. It also mentioned the Florence was one of the places it was considering for this expansion as well.

Interesting thought Josh, I had forgotten about that. I assumed the expansion was going to Jax given the recent vote on incentives. The article says the deal died and then reivived. You may be right. Or maybe they are expanding in both places??

This is possible because companies like WaMu like to come in to take advantage of the low cost labor (honda employees make 1/3 to 1/2 of the amts made at the same plant that was in ohio).

With WaMu, they have recently moved some jobs in Florida to consolidate similar activities. I have heard no news of anything coming but they were several site closings and Florence survived so it might possible that a similar event may occur here. I don't expect it to be anything more than servicing mortgages or credit cards.

However, the disturbing trend is there are a lot of talented people who are educated in SC and leave because there are not enough opportunities here. We need to get more corporate type places here and not cubicle farms and call centers. Florence has Francis Marion University which has educated many locals but they almost certainly leave b/c of the lack of opportunity.

Edited by thebarb20

^ Sadly, I fit into your catagory. Born and Raised in florence. Went to College at FMU. Ended up in Jax as a Computer Programer. However, My wife and I are thinking about moving back in July. Dont know How easy t will be to find a programing Job in Florence, but we'll see

Cheers

^ Sadly, I fit into your catagory. Born and Raised in florence. Went to College at FMU. Ended up in Jax as a Computer Programer. However, My wife and I are thinking about moving back in July. Dont know How easy t will be to find a programing Job in Florence, but we'll see

Cheers

I have an MBA from FMU but I'm going to have to leave Florence to make a living.

Cheers

I have an MBA from FMU but I'm going to have to leave Florence to make a living.

Add me to the list as well. I wanted to stay in Florence when I graduated, but ended up in MB, Columbia and now Greenville. Frankly, I'm really glad I did leave. I can't imagine living there now.

whats sad about of that is Florence really has potential to be a great place and there are hints every now and then that things can happen. however, the only real jobs we ever get from the outside are always ones that are taking advantage low cost labor and not here for the educational level of its citizens. this continued will only cause more of the same to occur and not force real change. we will always have a year over year mass exodus of young people leaving so they can make decent money and the pee dee will continue to be armpit.

Not if I have anything to say about it

(sadly, i have no say in it, but one day... MAYBE!!! Just MAYBE!!!!)

I know it isnt Jacksonville, or Columbia, or any other city, but it is a nice place. I think the biggest problem there is that it does produce a lot of well educated people in Florence, more so than it can handle. It is trying to shake its image as a low class farming town... And people are slowly starting to see that, but it takes time. Personally, i think florence is a great investment opportunity. Things are turning around. Its slow. but its happening.

My Hope is, if My wive decides to do the move, that the idea of someone in my field looking to move TO florence will help...

Cheers

While we're waiting for the "big" announcement in Florence, here's something to whet our appetites in the meantime:

Cable network QVC to employ 400 at Florence distribution center

GREAT news for that area. :thumbsup:

Also, here's an article about downtown Florence serving as an alternative to malls as a shopping destination this holiday season.

Some news from Darlington. The city of Darlington has received a $500,000 Community Development Block Grant to fund a project to build housing in the downtown area. The grant will go toward a $5.5 million plan to rehabilitate six historic buildings in downtown Darlington. The redevelopment of the buildings will create up to 35 rental housing units. The buildings will contain some commercial space and a community center as well.

Kinda twitch a little that its QVC, but 400 jobs isnt anything to be laughing at. Its good to hear soemthing like this for the region. A little disappointed in the salary ranges ($10-$12/hr) but other than that its great to add to the job diversity. Persoanlly, I thik thats more important than anything else. I think its cool they are atleast throwing it out there that it could result in a total of 800 jobs in the coming years.

Cheers

While we're waiting for the "big" announcement in Florence, here's something to whet our appetites in the meantime:

Cable network QVC to employ 400 at Florence distribution center

GREAT news for that area. :thumbsup:

How do we know that this isn't the "big" announcement? It was due before the end of the year, and was a nationally recognized company. This is probably it. Not much business news comes out around the holidays.

glad to have QVC b/c like u said adds job diversity. They located in Florence for following reasons

1. low cost labor

2. I-95 and I-20

3. economic incentives

I fear it is more of the same, more jobs that dont require any real educational level to increase the knowledge-based workforce here. glad to have them either way though of course.

Josh. wamu is kinda the same way. for every 15 $10/hr jobs there is one decent one. most people that work here mail envelopes. write a check or check over loan data or enter it. the corporate HQ is in Seattle and the other significant locations are San Antonio and Chicago I believe. Thats where a bulk of the better jobs are, again you see why they located here and may expand here :)

How do we know that this isn't the "big" announcement? It was due before the end of the year, and was a nationally recognized company. This is probably it. Not much business news comes out around the holidays.

Oh, well....I guess it COULD be the big thing. We only have 10 days left in the year, so I guess it is. Good news either way.