Is Charleston on the verge of a population boom?

Spartan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, that Charleston's overall metro growth will follow the same steps Jacksonville went through. I also disagree with the article comparing Charleston with Asheville and Jacksonville.

The Fact of the matter is, they all sprawl. The only difference is each of the metros are significantly larger than the next. Plus, comparing the core area of a large working class city, with the cores of two smaller tourist oriented cities is also a stretch. From my travels, in most working class cities (ex. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Birmingham, Louisville, Richmond, etc), the most vibrant places in the denser inner city happen to be the neighborhoods, instead of downtown. With Riverside, Avondale, Five Points and San Marco, Jacksonville is no exception.

Clemson bioengineering has also focused a lot of attention on developing research initiatives at MUSC. In fact, the new dental school building that will be built on Bee Street -- a portion of the building will be devoted to Clemson bioengineering. I'm hoping that eventually all of these research initiatives will spin off biotech companies. There are a few that have done that, but nothing high profile to date. I think Charleston has an opportunity to develop a strong biotech sector. However, I have also heard some criticisms as well. Unlike the Research Triangle there isn't a concentration of universities/research institutions here in Charleston. Critics say that although Charleston is a great place to live there isn't a large enough pool of skilled workers unlike Boston, San Francisco, and Research Triangle. However, I think as biotech companies start up it would be easy to attract people to Charleston. The state also tried to stimulate the biotech sector, but the problem is that most other states also have initiatives to attract or develop biotech companies, which makes it difficult. It will be interesting to see how things develop over the next 5-10 years.

Well, it looks like a biotechnology cluster might be in Charleston to continue its boom. B) I thought of posting the article link below in the developments thread, but since it was mentioned by you earlier, this news will be put here. In the Chas. Business Journal, the article reveals that part of the $26.6 million received by Clemson University from the S.C. Research University Infrastructure Bond Act may bring more hope for companies seeking to create a vibrant biotechnology cluster in the Charleston area. This amount included an additional $2 million Clemson had requested for the construction of an MUSC bioengineering innovation center in Charleston. This center is expected to attract new companies to the area which include research teams and large corporations.

Additionally, MUSC recently announced development of a drug discovery building which will be built behind the new Hollings Cancer Center. It will be 100,000-square-feet, located on the corner of Ashley Avenue and Sabin Street, and its main goals will be to developing new drugs mainly involving cancer treatment. There are also talks in the works to build a 100,000-square-foot patient research tower for other research projects. It is truly exciting to look at how MUSC is advancing growth in an industry that the city sorely needs. This could be the start of quickening the pace of Charleston's boom... :thumbsup:

Funding to grow biotechnology development

• 4 weeks later...

Wilkipedia states that as of 2005, the Census Bureau estimates Charleston proper having a population of 114,883. Anyone know how accurate this is?

Then census buereau doesnt have anything listed for 2005 yet...the latest i see is 2004 and it says 104,883....Looks like a typo...added a 1 instead of 0

• 1 month later...

I saw this information off of Wikipedia. Really good stuff.

As of 2005, the Census Bureau estimated the population of the city proper as 110,483, a 13.8% growth over the population as of the 2000 census. Current trends puts Charleston as the fastest growing city in South Carolina. Reports estimate that Charleston will probably overtake Columbia's small lead by no later than 2015. The metropolitan area of Charleston and North Charleston had a population of about 600,434, 72nd largest in the country.
Then, I read further and saw this: :w00t:

There are 110,483 people in the city, organized into 47,791 households and 24,149 families. The population density is 384.7/km

I'm wondering where that figure came from as far as the latest Census estimates are concerned. This link from the Census Bureau puts Charleston's 2004 estimated population at 104,883. The 2004 estimated metro population is 583,434 from what I've seen as well. It would have been nice had the sources been cited for projected population growth (e.g., Chamber of Commerce).

I'm wondering where that figure came from as far as the latest Census estimates are concerned. This link from the Census Bureau puts Charleston's 2004 estimated population at 104,883. The 2004 estimated metro population is 583,434 from what I've seen as well. It would have been nice had the sources been cited for projected population growth (e.g., Chamber of Commerce).

They did site sources in the final paragraph as noted:

Calculations in this story were based on statistics compiled from the U.S. Census Bureau, area utilities, the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments and other sources. These calculations are based on certain assumptions that could change as time goes by.

...edited to add....OK that is kind of vague. but the numbers quoted appear to be in line with census numbers.

I got a chuckle today reading the paper, I came across the Real Estate insert and saw that it was 64 pages long. It made me think of all the housing growth that's being talked about lately. Most of the stuff listed in there is 200k+ nearest to Charleston, you have to get out to Summerville and parts of N. Charleston to find the mid 100k properties. The developments in the neck area are needed, close to 20,000 dwellings are planned for the area encompasing Noisette and the Magnolia development. If done right the ingredients are there to create an amazing urban enviroment connected with downtown via mass transit and well connected roads.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting that, krazee. It is amazing that there is no bubble in Chas, but this should further confirm the boom beginning to happen in the metro area. City officials and other economic forecasters have said that the city could be as big as present day Charlotte by 2030. The city population should be over 300,000, according to several articles I've read. Is that possible? I honestly don't know. It would be fantastic if this became a reality, but I can't say if it will happen yet. Things are aligning together to make it possible, though.

Wow, an SC city at 300K+ in population...I hope I live to see the day. But in the meantime, I guess Riley is beginning to focus his energy on challenging that unconstitutional legislation that our governor foolishly signed into law recently regarding newly incorporated municipalities.

Nothing more frightening than having the future of a region in the hands of timber companies. In one of the most beautiful areas of the country, surrounding one of the most beautiful cities in the country, I would be watching every move and transaction being done. Keep the pressure on the politicians or they will be standing there with their hands out.

I found the Charleston region one of the most unique areas of the country and find it difficult to believe that this won't have a detrimental effect on the entire area.

Make sure there is a master plan done. Promote a mass transit system. Your city is under siege and it will be up to you to make sure the entire region can benefit from the growth and not just a hand full of developers. Be sure that it is set up that Charleston is the center of the region or you will have uncontrollable sprawl like Phoenix, :sick:

This will determine how your region will be shaped and how it will be perceived for decades to come. Learn from the mistakes of Atlanta and Charlotte, don't replicate them. Charleston can do better. Charleston deserves better! You must make sure the developers understand that they will be held to higher standards there. Now is the time to develop strict guidelines and make sure developers are held accountable.

Please don't allow them to turn this into "Anywhere USA"

Keep it GREEN!!!

From a fan of Charleston

Watch your backs!

Archived