Dead Malls

Spartan

I found this site about Dead Malls. It is quite interesting.

http://www.deadmalls.com/

It is incomplete though. There are a couple of malls that I am aware of that aren't on the list. You can actually give them info- but I dont know enough about the malls that I am aware of.

What they need to do is make a malls history list. It would probably be very large, as almost every trown in America has one.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No malls in Michigan are on the list, but I will say that Northland Center is pretty much dead. It's just one mile down the road from here. It was the nation's first shopping mall, but it has fallen on hard times. Wonderland mall in Livonia is dead. It has completely shut down, and is being demolished.

Venture Mall near Atlanta is another dead mall. The four businesses keeping it from closing down are Q-Zar, Burlington Coat Factory, a discount movie theater and a pool hall. All four get pretty brisk business, though, especially on the weekends. But the rest of the mall is a bunch of small stores that I've never heard of. This mall sits in the shadow of Gwinnett Place Mall, which is just across Pleasant Hill Road from it.

Venture Mall near Atlanta is another dead mall. The four businesses keeping it from closing down are Q-Zar, Burlington Coat Factory, a discount movie theater and a pool hall. All four get pretty brisk business, though, especially on the weekends. But the rest of the mall is a bunch of small stores that I've never heard of. This mall sits in the shadow of Gwinnett Place Mall, which is just across Pleasant Hill Road from it.

There is an amazing amount of dead retail in the area around Gwinnett Place. Some of it is just now being reused, although a number of stores have gone out of business in the last year that have basically given everything back that was taken.

We had two "dead malls" in this area, the Camp Hill mall and the Carlisle Plaza mall. Both had a hard time competing with all the big-box shopping centers that have been exploding in this area....Recently a developer bought both, tore down the malls and made them into big-box shopping centers. :angry:

• 5 months later...

nice website, they forgot Landover Mall right off of Captial beltway near Fedex Feild, and odd enough, they built a new shopping plaza/mall across the beltway called Boulvard at the Cap Centere. on the now demolished Captial Center (home of the Captials/bullets) where they are now based in dowtown DC at the MCI center. let me think of more malls in MD

• 1 month later...

Valley Fair Mall of Southside APpleton. In the 1950's it was name the largest shopping mall in the area but now it's just a parking of pot holes. There's a pharmacy, nail salon, pet store , one book store, one computer arcade, and cheap seat theater.

ON the other hand there's area 51 indoor skate park and paintball field.

Did i forget to mention Kohl's used to have their department store and grocery store on one wing of the mall. Looks like financial left some people slippen on banana peels.

Interesting...it lists 3 in Tennessee. I agree with 100 Oaks, but he's wrong about Bellevue. It ain't what it used to be, but it is still a good shopping destination...now Harding Mall, on the other hand, has been struggling for years...I have no idea why it hasn't completely failed.

Archived