• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike to build concept store in downtown Detroit loft building

Shop is to be open by Christmas

September 21, 2004

BY GRETA GUEST

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Nike Inc. plans to open a three-part concept store on Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit by Christmas, adding another national retailer to the area's revitalization efforts.

The store, at 9,209 square feet, would fill an empty storefront underneath the Lofts at Woodward Center, a 61-apartment building two blocks from Campus Martius park and the Compuware headquarters building. It is across Woodward from Merchants Row, a $30-million loft and retail project.

"Our ongoing vision has been to bring in the type of things you would find on Michigan Avenue in Chicago," said Cindy Ciura, vice president of marketing and retail for the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. "Nike is very excited about it and what has been happening downtown. They have been looking at Detroit for quite some time."

Ciura said the store will be about a third of the size of the Niketown in Chicago, but the concept will be similar.

"This is a great addition to the kind of retail we need on Woodward Avenue," she said.

Niketown would join Borders, Kinko's and the Hard Rock Caf

The second article sounds much more ensuring than the first. I'm sure you'll have pics for us when they arrive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Actually the sign announcing Athlete's Foot has been there for a while now. When I was downtown last night I didn't see a sign for Niketown. I did see ground floor retail being constructed on Griswold just north of the Farwell Building though. I wish I knew the name of the building, but I don't.

Going downtown has turned into a daily occurance. LOL. I have so many photos that I will never be able to post them all.

More importantly, national retailers will help draw more retailers. Quite honestly I don't care what people think of Detroit come 2006. It is a game...people are going to see the game, not to see Detroit. All this extra development will hopefully bring positive press, but I'm not betting on it. I find the national media always tends to be negative when it comes to the D.

Archived