Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emerging.me

Bombers to G'ville?

From wistv.com...

Cap City Bombers Plan Move to Greenville

(Greenville) Sept. 28, 2004 - The Bombers have reached an agreement to move to Greenville and that's not all.

The Bombers will pay for the financing, design and construction of a new stadium in Greenville, according to the Greenville City Council. The reason the Bombers want to leave Columbia is because they couldn't work out a deal for the city to build the team a new stadium.

Greenville Mayor Knox White, "We've been dealing with a number of teams. We insisted the team do its part in making a contribution to the stadium. Many teams were interested in doing that, but the Bombers made us an offer to hard to resist."

So why wouldn't the Bombers pay for a new stadium in Columbia? Mayor Bob Coble believes it's because the Bombers feel the Gamecocks baseball team presents too much competition for them to make it worth their while.

The Bombers have not offered a comment to News 10.

There is one thing that could stop the move. Mauldin, also in Greenville County, is trying to lure a Double-A team. League rules do not allow two teams to be in the same county and higher-level teams have priority over lower-level teams.

If the Bombers do leave Columbia, Mayor Coble tells WIS he will work to get another minor league baseball team to the Capital City.

The Greenville Bombers huh?

That is an interesting twist... kind funny :)

I think its good that Columbia loose the Bombers. Columbia has all sports taken care of with the Gamecocks and the Inferno.

From The Free Times...

The fate of professional baseball in Columbia is changing as fast as the score of a Yankees-Red Sox playoff game. In the latest twist, after City Council showed no interest in serving up a cash subsidy for a new ballpark for the minor league Capital City Bombers, Mayor Bob Coble has indicated that the team can have city-owned land for a new home if the Bombers shoulder the cost of a new ballpark themselves. Coble says council probably would support a land donation. The city owns the Bombers' current location on Assembly Street. The team says the ballpark there has drainage and other problems and, absent a new facility, the Bombers might move to another city.

WHAT?! lol The drama continues...

does anyone actually think that the bombers will stay?

maybe if the Greenville deal falls thourgh they will recondiser Columbia? the Mauldin team (Diamon Jaxx?) has precedence over the other two teams. So its entirely posisble.

There are three teams fighting for the Greenville Market and at this time it is my opinion that the Bombers are least likely to land in Greenville. So you may still have you team.

My opinion is that the Mandalay team in Greer has teh best chance. They are willing to buy a new team if that is what it takes to get in to Greenville. They are talking about bringing the single A Hagerstown Suns, but with the AA Diamond Jax looking at Mauldin, Mandaly may need to buy a AA team to get into the market.

I posted the Bombers stadium design proposal in another thread. I love the idea of being downtown, and I like that they are going to pay for it all. But I just don't see it happening.

But I could be wrong, you may loose your bombers

Brad

Again, I say the if the bombers get turned down by Greenville good riddance! I know I wouldn't want them back, especially now since they had the finances to pay for there own stadium all along. It's kinda like a girl youv'e been dating for awhile that want's to explore other options and then says your the one I really want. Yeah right, see ya!

What makes me mad is that Greenville County wouldn't give the BRaves money for a new stadium downtown and then said they would give $6 million to either the Diamond Jax or the Mandalay Team if they came to Greenville.

Brad

Again, I say the if the bombers get turned down by Greenville good riddance! I know I wouldn't want them back, especially now since they had the finances to pay for there own stadium all along. It's kinda like a girl youv'e been dating for awhile that want's to explore other options and then says your the one I really want. Yeah right, see ya!

Ha! yeah, I agree. And the owner has kinda acted like a jackass in the press. I say: See ya!

What makes me mad is that Greenville County  wouldn't give the BRaves money for a new stadium downtown and then said they would give $6 million to either the Diamond Jax or the Mandalay Team if they came to Greenville.

Brad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Weird. I might could understanf just the Jaxx as they are an AA team, but why Mandalay and not the bombers? There has to be some policial undert the table stuff goingon there.

The bombers have overplayed the hand they were dealt. How can they come back to Columbia with a straight face after bringing a $15 million dollar offer to Greenville. It makes the city look stupid now to have bought in to the idea that we must save the Bombers. I love this letter to the editor from Sunday

am just so disappointed that my 2-year-old son may not grow up going to Bombers