Pearl River Delta

manfred

Hello,

First time posting. Not sure how to post pics directly into message.

These pictures were taken this summer on a trip to Hong Kong and the adjacent Chinese Province of Guangdong.

The Pearl River Delta is an uninterrupted urban region stretching from Hong Kong to Guangzhou (two hours by freeway) that is home to at least 52 million people. Its already the world's largest manufacturing cluster. By some measures I would think this is also the largest urban area in the world, although I would love to hear more viewpoints on that topic.

Hong Kong's tallest building (1,362 ft) International Finance Center 2

My Webpage

Victoria Peak, Hong Kong

My Webpage

Shenzhen, China (Grew from a small village in 1980 to 6.5 million people today)

My Webpage

Shenzhen's Happy Valley Theme Park

My Webpage

Dongguan, China (Where they make pretty much everything)

My Webpage

Mixed-Use Development in Dongguan (Residential above shops Chinese style!)

My Webpage

Dongguan at Night

My Webpage

Guangzhou Shopping Street

My Webpage

Guangzhou Street Fountain

My Webpage

Wal-mart is Officially Everywhere

My Webpage

Guangzhou (aka Canton)

My Webpage

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny with KFC, they are huge in China. Although when they first entered the market, their slogan "Finger-licking Good" translated into "You will eat your fingers off" in Chinese, which wasn't quite as catchy!

They are rapidly deregulating the retail market in China, so pretty soon Wal-mart and KFC will be joined by the likes of the Gap, Home Depot and Williams Sonoma. Kind of sad in a way, but thats what they want.

Amazing.

It's hard to imagine a Wal-mart anywhere besides American suburbs.

Also I've noticed a lot of KFC's in foreign cities.  Yet, the chain seems to be losing popularity stateside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived