1st Presidential Debate

josita

Bush didn't flip-flop

Lets just get one thing straight, whether you want to admit it or not. I'm not debating this topic anymore because its totally pointless.

The original reason for the Iraq war was because they had Weapons of Mass Destruction and they presented a clear and present danger to the United States of America.

This comes out to be blatantly false, and a new report today confirms it:

http://www.wsmv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2396023&nav=1TcRRhuq

The significance of this? Everyone else - Democrats, moderate Republicans, allied nations from Germany to France begged President Bush to wait and see through weapons inspections processes among other things to gather more information before starting war.

Bush ignored everyone and went his own way.

When Bush realized his error, the reason for war switched - in other words Bush FLIP FLOPPED - and the reason for the war in Iraq became a battle against terrorism because Iraq posed a terrorist threat to the United States through its "weapons of mass destruction related program activities" (whatever the hell that means) and how Saddam was sharing this with terrorists. No one disagrees with the fact that Saddam continually tried to create weapons, torture chambers, and what-not. That is not the point, its the threat he posed. It wasn't that great compared with the REAL TERRORISTS.

The terrorist threat Iraq posed, again, was proven wrong. The 9/11 commission found no major link between Saddam Hussein's efforts to keep control over his country and terrorist organizations targeting the USA - particularly Al Quaeda.

When Bush realized his error, he fessed up in fall of 2003 and admitted that there is no link between Saddam Hussein and 9/11. You can listen to an mp3 of him saying so in December 2003 that I have here:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~chiboyblue/bushadmits.mp3

Right click and save that as a file on your desktop if it doesn't work.

Now, after saying that, the reason for the war became an American mission to save the Iraqi people from a horrible dictator.

Oh, that, and Bush has flip-flopped yet again with his biggest flip-flop ever. The Bush campaign consistently confuses terrorism/9-11 and Iraq to this day. Every phrase they use is designed to enhance the idea that Saddam Hussein was connected with major terrorist cells trying to attack the USA and that it was our best course of action.

That's all I have to say about it. You either realize the facts, or you don't. Its that simple.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed - many politicians flip flop on certain issues given the circumstances.

That isn't a weakness, sometimes things need change. You find new information out, and you realize you are wrong, so you change and become better for it.

But since Republicans make the flip-flop argument against Kerry all day, every day for this campaign I wanted to point out Bush's own flip flops.

That isn't a weakness, sometimes things need change

I think your right that it isn't a guaranteed weakness. But it can be, depending on the issue, the change, and of course the reason for the change. Many times, changes aren't due to a change in circumstances other than political. Those changes I don't care for.

However, usually justified changes come with a reason, flip flops (as the term has become :lol: ) are unjustified IMHO.

The flip flop charge, just like attempting to smear Kerry's Vietnam record, is being brought to attention by the republicans, because they simply cannot run on the record of what they have managed to accomplish for the USA in the last 4 years.  So the only thing they have left are smear and slander tactics which hopefully for them will divert the people's attention away from their  very dismal record.

If they have actually done something positive for the common good for the people of the USA, then lets hear them talk about it......    The silence is deafening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other than Kerry volunteered to go to Vietnam and earned 3 purple hearts, we haven't heard much from the other side, except to remind us he isn't Bush either.

Which goes back to the point I was trying to make, which was that the concept of, even the term, flip-flops, isn't unique to any one party, candidate or group.

Archived