The 1000+ (highrise) club

Although skyscraper.com's highrise counts for some cities are highly incomplete (Sao Paulo almost certainly has the most highrises in the world, for example), I still find this interesing.

Cities with 1000 or more 12+ story completed buildings as per count at skyscrapers.com. In brackets I've put the number of highrises under construction in that city:

Hong Kong - 7259 (280)

New York - 5344 (67)

Singapore - 3500 (244)

Sao Paulo - 2542 (657)

Istanbul - 2091 (66)

Rio -1869 (71)

Tokyo - 1707 (438)

Toronto - 1597 (58)

Buenos Aires - 1410 (3)

London - 1278 (32)

Chicago - 1032 (24)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only one that stands out to me is Istanbul. They must be alot of 12 and 13's. Turkey in genereal just isnt a place where you think of skyscrapers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting comment. I've seen aerials of Istanbul and was blown away by the number of highrises. Most of them looked to be over 20 stories, but I could be wrong.

Interesting comment. I've seen aerials of Istanbul and was blown away by the number of highrises. Most of them looked to be over 20 stories, but I could be wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I've never seen any aerials of all of Instanbul. I've seen various land marks and their immediate surrounds though. The Bosporus and such.

I'm sorry, which Hong Kong are you referring to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL :rofl:

657 under construction for sao paulo?

that's unbelievable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sao Paulo is massive, and extremely dense. I don't have any pics of it, but it resembles HK in density. The only problem is that there isn't really a discernable core of bulidings.... it gets kind of monotonous. Still, its huge.

To be honest, I've never seen any aerials of all of Instanbul. I've seen various land marks and their immediate surrounds though. The Bosporus and such.

LOL :rofl:

Sao Paulo is massive, and extremely dense. I don't have any pics of it, but it resembles HK in density. The only problem is that there isn't really a discernable core of bulidings.... it gets kind of monotonous. Still, its huge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sao Paulo is incredible. I went there when I was eleven and there were skyscrapers as far as the eye could see. Most of them were about twenty stories though.

Sao Paulo is incredible. I went there when I was eleven and there were skyscrapers as far as the eye could see. Most of them were about twenty stories though.

60&70s blocks were 10-15 stories high, 80s&90s blocks 15-20 stories and now they are averaging 25 stories. I come from London and I lived four years in a towerblock but there aren't many and they are/were fairly poor. Here they are a refuge from gunfear and there is mad building - I can see 6 startups from my window. BUT 625 is far fetched. Including 6 storey govt cohabs I reckon it can't currently top 100. Here is a snap from the (light industrial) edge of the band of blocks and looking west towards the city centre 5 kms away. You can see four blocks under construction if you look carefully. The area to the left was fairly flat 6 years ago just after the ceramics and textile industries took a big hit.

spanoramatn.jpg

Click the thumb for a 800kb blow-up.

DK (in Sao Paulo)

Welcome to the forum davekebab! Its good to have someone to represent Sao Paulo. You should go to your controls at the top and add Sao Paulo to you location :)

not to sound stupid, but what is gunfear? It seems like there might be more to it than being afraid of guns.

Welcome to the forum davekebab! Its good to have someone to represent Sao Paulo. You should go to your controls at the top and add Sao Paulo to you location :)

Thanks I will

not to sound stupid, but what is gunfear? It seems like there might be more to it than being afraid of guns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is fear of guns .... and violence. 11 homicides a day, 4 shot by police each day. (nearly the same figures for cars incidentally) Mainly drugs and drunkenness in the favelas but in the 80s burglaries and violence spiralled together and into middle class areas (as the middle classes actually disappeared - Brazilification). It makes for a hardy kind of housedweller who lives behind bars with a big dog or in a condo. Either that or a predio/towerblock.

It also feeds off fear picked up from tv hype, seeing the neighbour's defences installed, rumour and a lot of guarddogs (with piles of guard dog poop).

I had another thought. I would say maybe 100 buildings are completed per year giving a 5 year completions figure of 400-600 towerblocks Maybe that is the basis of the data. It takes around 18 months from the beginning of selling (hoardings, dummy apartment etc) to the delivery of a building.

Lets hope the power stays on! The climb is getting longer.

DK

• 3 weeks later...

. . . Its Brazil's AND South America's (if you exclude Mexico as part of Central America) LARGEST CITY.

I see we all payed REAL close attention in geography class :D

Sao Paulo gets overlooked alot being more the industrial and financial center of Brazil whereas Rio is the tourist and pleasure center of the nation. Similar to Italy Rome gets all the PR but Milan is the the powerhouse of the country.

• 4 weeks later...

Har, it is funny to see emporis data being taken serious. They still have a lot to do! Sao Paulo city hall published on 450th anniversary that our city has almost 48,000 buildings >12 storeys and they grow a t a rate of 420 per year what meansthat statistically their number grows by one in every 20 hours!!! :thumbsup::)

Sao%20Paulo%20du%20Ciel.jpg

Hre are lot of Sampa pics!

Archived