The 1000+ (highrise) club

I agree that Sao Paulo does have an exponential amount of existing and under construction high-rises, but 48,000. That's a little much. I'd bargain 15,000 at the highest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hm, but I don't think that your bargain is better than city hall knowledge... ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, right, but I still think they exaggerated. It's like most guys exaggerate the size of their penis. A crude example, but it gets the point across.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what reason should they have to do so? City government is more against high-rise that's why height limits are very strict in Sao Paulo! That#s why many Supertowers were planned but never built. :blink:

But what reason should they have to do so? City government is more against high-rise that's why height limits are very strict in Sao Paulo! That#s why many Supertowers were planned but never built.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So since they don't have height to brag about like many international cities (New York, Dubai, Hong Kong, etc.) they can brag about how many they have.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, they want Sydney broken up into different zones according to its metro skylines.

If you simply type in Sydney the number 954 comes up (like for all cities, that includes never builts, demolished etc).

If you also enter the other areas that ARE Sydney, the current figure is well over 1,000.

It's only reliable as the people putting in the information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sao Paulo is the biggest in SA, I always had the perception HK, Tokyo, NYC, Chicago, London were the big boys with Taipai, Shanghai, Singapore nipping on their heals.

If it is true Sao Paulo has the most 12+ in the world thats amazing but looks like something very STRANGE is happening down there . . . usually cities with building booms correlates to peace and prosperity, in the absence of that the city decays and loses investment, why isn't SP experiencing an exodus of people rather they are building up and out . . . very strange. My own city lures development and investment in towers by providing jobs, prosperity and order, things a city should stand for, it is for that reason after all we admire skylines--a reflection of that city's accomplishment and opportunity, not as self enclosed fortifications locking the world out. I'm happy for Sao Paulo but very strange.

Question, if these towers are being built mainly as ways to remove you from the street level, and the middle class was "brazilified" as you put it how is it that 600 new towers x oh say 500 new occupants how is it that 300,000 wealthy Brazilians need a place to stay when the nation is becoming more poor vs. rich, where are all these new rich coming from?

Finally, there was a thread on the board about the ugliest skyscraper, if the point in SP is to enclose onself in safety then the exterior of these buildings (while the interior might be very nice and homely) are probably afterthoughts and probably the ugliest in the world . . . since if the theories are correct the street level is nothing but the undesireables so who cares what they have to look up to in these buildings. If thats the case I would think quality is over cookie-cutter highrise reverse prisions that SP is pumping out.

Let me know what the story is down there very interested in it, don't want the wrong impression of the city so definetly let me know if some of my conclusions aren't on the mark. Thanks for sharing SP with us ;)

Sao Paulo is the biggest in SA, I always had the perception HK, Tokyo, NYC, Chicago, London were the big boys with Taipai, Shanghai, Singapore nipping on their heals. 

If it is true Sao Paulo has the most 12+ in the world thats amazing but looks like something very STRANGE is happening down there . . . usually cities with building booms correlates to peace and prosperity, in the absence of that the city decays and loses investment, why isn't SP experiencing an exodus of people rather they are building up and out . . . very strange.  My own city lures development and investment in towers by providing jobs, prosperity and order, things a city should stand for, it is for that reason after all we admire skylines--a reflection of that city's accomplishment and opportunity, not as self enclosed fortifications locking the world out.  I'm happy for Sao Paulo but very strange. 

Question, if these towers are being built mainly as ways to remove you from the street level, and the middle class was "brazilified" as you put it how is it that 600 new towers x oh say 500 new occupants how is it that 300,000 wealthy Brazilians need a place to stay when the nation is becoming more poor vs. rich, where are all these new rich coming from?

Finally, there was a thread on the board about the ugliest skyscraper, if the point in SP is to enclose onself in safety then the exterior of these buildings (while the interior might be very nice and homely) are probably afterthoughts and probably the ugliest in the world . . . since if the theories are correct the street level is nothing but the undesireables so who cares what they have to look up to in these buildings.  If thats the case I would think quality is over cookie-cutter highrise reverse prisions that SP is pumping out. 

Let me know what the story is down there very interested in it, don't want the wrong impression of the city so definetly let me know if some of my conclusions aren't on the mark.  Thanks for sharing SP with us ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At first, ground in SP is very expensive. One-family-housing is something for the really rich people. Sao Paulo has a huge number of rich people. Don't forget, that an apartment you can buy for even 30,000 dollars. Okay, there are such 2 million+ dollar apartments, but most of them aren't. The boom in constructions has always been a point typical for Brazil. Imagine that Rio has 5,000 high-rises, Belo Horizonte approaches 5,000, Curitiba in Paran

I wonder what critical masses would have to be in place for a city to emulate a SP or Recife, great info by the way on some of the dynamics at play. Those are impressive skylines but looks like many of them are cookie cutters when taken individually. just my two cents.

yeah, emporis got so caught up in thrying to become professional that they forgot their roots. I'm not sure who they accumulated all of their data.

I think that website has grown too big to be properly maintained by a small group of people, so their data is all screwed up. Plus, they have a professional website that you can subscribe for $120 a month, and hell no, I'm not signing up for some false information for that price! And WHO WOULD??? That's like paying good money to view someone's BS!! :wacko::sick: Ugh, I hate that site. Also, I tried to contribute to the site by sending pictures to their database and they rejected me like 25 TIMES!!! :angry::wacko: Oh my god; I was like fine, I offered to help your site, but you had to be stubborn enough to reject it. I hope no one else contributes to that stupid site, and their data stays wrong. If their site fails, GOOD! -_- I saw a motto that they want to become the #1 site about skyscrapers, but I don't think so, with their messed up database and rejecting offers, stupid Emporis. :angry: Don't even go to that site.... for Christ's sake! They mess up eveything! :wacko::unsure::angry:

Anyway, Sao Paulo is a very nice city, big skyline and it looks good! :rolleyes:

I think that website has grown too big to be properly maintained by a small group of people, so their data is all screwed up. Plus, they have a professional website that you can subscribe for $120 a month, and hell no, I'm not signing up for some false information for that price! And WHO WOULD??? That's like paying good money to view someone's BS!! :wacko:  :sick:  Ugh, I hate that site. Also, I tried to contribute to the site by sending pictures to their database and they rejected me like 25 TIMES!!!  :angry:  :wacko:  Oh my god; I was like fine, I offered to help your site, but you had to be stubborn enough to reject it. I hope no one else contributes to that stupid site, and their data stays wrong. If their site fails, GOOD!  -_- I saw a motto that they want to become the #1 site about skyscrapers, but I don't think so, with their messed up database and rejecting offers, stupid Emporis.  :angry:  Don't even go to that site.... for Christ's sake! They mess up eveything! :wacko:  :unsure:  :angry:

Anyway, Sao Paulo is a very nice city, big skyline and it looks good!  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes. It seems they just don't want help or feedback. Ridiculous! :angry:

Oh yes. It seems they just don't want help or feedback. Ridiculous! 
Emporis could yell at itself for being so retarded by rejecting everyone's offers for contribution. They think that they are superior to all other sites, but NOOOOOO!! It seems to be that they are a site that expands outward and never looks back inside. On the outside it looks as if they are sucessful, but they are failing inside with all this BS, and selfishness. I hope this undermines their piece of sh*t website. :)

^^ yes it does, from what I heard the Fire Insurance is different for structures above 11 floors.

I have seen how Skyscrapers.com will include non-12 floor buildings if they are over 100ft. in height, just that checking the heights on many 10 or 8 floor structures is kind of hard (only the owners and ins. companies are privvy to that)

I too have tried to add to the site, and it depends which "editor" you get as far as being taken seriously, the data side was fine but when I tried to submit pics they refused. Seems kinda of crappy to say NO to your customer base when they are trying to HELP you for free.

Also most of the PITTSBURGH editors are based in CLEVELAND, great! No wonder we get a bad rap. :P

Archived