JAGS

Fruit Cove

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Considering it was the FIRST GAME of the PRESEASON, I think things will get better.

Come on, guys.

Why not look at the bright spots... Matt Jones played well. The 1st-string D dominated. Chad Owens looks like a suprise steal. The special teams were greatly improved. The Jags were winning 27-3 in the 4th.

A little perspective goes a long way, I think.

I never worry too much about the preseason. I just hope that we can finally learn how to close this season. I was almost more confident last season when we were trailing going into the 4th quarter, we just blew so many leads and it was so rough to watch because even when the Jags were up by like 10 going into the 4th, I'd just know we would find a way to blow the lead and it usually happened. I'm definitely confident in a playoff appearance this season though.

The third preseason is the key - this is the most like regular game. The starters will play for a full half, and the game plan will be the most like a real game.

This year, our third game is against Atlanta, televised nationally on ESPN (hopefully locally as well). In addtion, if any of you have watched ESPN's SportsCenter lately, you know they are doing their 50 States in 50 Days tour, where they go to each state, and discuss sports in that state. Well for Florida, they are coming to Jacksonville, so we will get some national attention in a couple of weeks - It would be nice to have a good showing, in more ways than one.

I was at the game last Saturday,

From what I see from the Jaguars (being a former QB myself),

Offence: I'd say the Dolphins pass rush was a lil more amp to apply more pressure to the QB than they did on Monday night (Chicago). Nevertheless, that offencive line cannot leave open as many wholes as they did against a team that just changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and had Jason Taylor drop back into coverage.

Also not having the presents of NO#28 in the backfield reasured that the Dolphins would put more emphasis on the passing game and occationally blitz from the LB's.

Defence: Well, one thing is for certain, they're game is in the defence. Containing the run is going to be important again, allthough there in a more pass oriented division (i.e. Manning). So far from what I saw on Saturday night, the defence is hard hitting and plays well in 3rd and short situations.

Nice game,.. but what the hell was that at halftime,

Im offended by what was protrayed as T.D. (Miami Dolphins mascot) getting beat down by an inflatable Kitten.

We'll see more of that receiver rotation this week and next.

Garrard is a good QB but exactly as we saw last year, Letwhich did very little in preseason and was shown up by both Garrard and Gray but Leftwhich proved he was the starter during the regular season....where it counts.

Frankly, I'm OK with Leftwich's performance - as long as he improves against Atlanta. He didn't look very good against Miami, and I said the same thing - and he improved. This is training camp - teams don't game plan; they see what works and what doesn't.

As far as the receivers go, I think that Smith and Williams should be the #1 and #2 receivers. Reggie Williams has been the best "true" receiver in Training Camp, and I believe that he should have the position, until he does something to lose it.

I think that Chad Owens and Matt Jones have both looked great in camp, but I don't believe that they are good candidates to be #1 or #2 receivers. Jones because he has been a receiver for a month and still needs route running work, and Owens because he is not a fast receiver. He is quick, but not fast (4.67 40 yard dash is not great). I see him as a good slot receiver, and also because he probably will be doing some special teams work.

As far as Wilford, Hankton, and Edwards are concerned, Wilford can make a play when you need him to, and Hankton has done everything he has been asked to do. Personally, I cut Edwards. They bring about the same to the field, and you don't typically bench veterans, especially in the salary cap era, and Hankton is young.

Finally, Del Rio will put the people who give the team the best chance to win - now and in the future - on the field. Remember, if the team doesn't perform, he gets canned. Do you think he cares who makes more money? Would you, if your ass was on the line?

What I was told, by the hosts of the Jaguars post game call in show, is that Reggie plays because he makes more money. Whether that's their position or Jack's, I don't know.

As far as training camp goes, Alvis Whitted used to shine there. His performance during game time was a different story.

I'm thrilled Reggie Williams had a good training camp. But frankly, that means even less than preseason games themselves. Admittedly, I didn't see the Tampa Bay game, so I can't judge his performance. But against the Dolphins, he looked like the same Reggie we saw last year. I'm told he's got a new touchdown dance.

Right now, Matt is making more progress than Reggie is. I do understand that Matt needs to do a better job of running his routes. There's no better place to learn than on the field, under game conditions. Especially when the games don't count.

The Jags offense is so woeful that as this point, the potential gain of making the switch outweighs the risks of failure.

There is a really awful/hilarious letter to the editor today. Quasi-related to the Jaguars. It's about public docking fees at the Met-park marina for the Jags games. I hope I'm not the only one who noticed the massive irony ...

CITY MARINA

Fees are offensive

I would like to briefly express my displeasure with the proposed fee for boaters during Jacksonville Jaguars games.

Aren't those boat slips public property, bought for and paid for by the citizens of Jacksonville?

Over the years, everyone has had an equal opportunity to enjoy the marina. I find any fees, much less the sums that the city is proposing, to be offensive.

The expense of going to a Jaguars game is already staggering for a family of six. I would never pay a minimum of $75 to dock a boat, in addition to the cost of tickets and concessions.

I have been a season ticket holder since the beginning. I have enjoyed the whole experience of boating and going to the game with my family.

However, if the proposed fees are passed, my days as a season ticket holder are over. I have a feeling that I'm not alone!

DOUG ROBBINS, Orange Park

Also, just as another aside ... I think some people need to retake Civics 101. Somehow people think the word "Public" means "free," however that has never been the case. "Public" simply means that anyone has the right to use a service, as long as they are willing to pay for it. Contrasted with "private" services, which can be refused to someone for nearly any reason, even if they have the money.

However, if the proposed fees are passed, my days as a season ticket holder are over. I have a feeling that I'm not alone!

DOUG ROBBINS, Orange Park

Some thoughts on this letter: First, why would he punish the Jags because the city imposed a parking fee on him? Second, if he can afford a boat and season tickets, surely this clown can drop an extra $20 to park his boat (just buy 2 less beers at the game). And, third, why should the boaters get to park their boats for free while everyone who drives has to pay to park their cars? I am not a big fan of city fees (which Peyton has relentlessly raised along with property taxes through increased assessed property values despite his promise to not raise taxes), but this doesnt seem that onerous.

Archived