Male prostitution ring "busted" in Nashville

BrandonTO416

These issues affect cities around the world, but the question is how to deal with it. As you guys know I'm a very liberally minded person, at the same time I believe in the right of a business to have the freedom to be as productive as they can be without this type of activity going on around them.

So instead of trying to deny something that can't be controlled by making it outright illegal, I think there is a great idea: of course focus on sex education in schools that teach safe sex, against prostitution, and etc. But on top of that - why not create a so-called "red light district" so that prostitutes can carry out their business and not be shuffled around from one district of a city to another? I think its a serious way to deal with a serious problem, at the same time being realistic about it.

Its some food for thought.

Here's the article, you can click on the link to watch a video clip from Ch. 4.

---

http://www.wsmv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2377586&nav=1TcTRYTp

Metro Police bust male prostitutes

Reported by Jeremy Finley

E-mail: [email protected]

October 1, 2004

Businesses in one part of downtown Nashville say they've had enough of prostitution. And you may be surprised to find out who is accused of offering sex for money.

This week, undercover officers in Metro

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think prostitution is disgusting, however the reality is that you can't just outlaw it and make it disappear.

The problem seems to be that it appears in areas where businesses don't want it - and instead of solving the problem, everytime police officers run people out - they setup shop in another area and the problem doesn't change really. It just makes yet another urban district seem seedy.

A "red light district" would at least confine and separate that activity from the rest of the city and be more of a real solution.

As it stands today - it seems as if seedy areas of town just spread from one place to another until the urban core becomes unattractive.

In realistic terms however, prostitution is never going away. It is called the world's oldest profession for a reason.

One of the options I mentioned above I think may be somewhat of a solution. It may be a good idea to have a district of town to be set aside for this activity to try and contain it rather then have it spread from neighborhood to neighborhood whenever they get run out of the original. You never know unless its tried.

Archived