Historic Kress buildings of the South

cityboi

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you all liked that link. It's a great site for learning about Asheville's outstanding architecture.

But to get back on topic, I think downtown retail like the kind once offered by Kress and Woolworth is vital to central cities. It's a shame that both are out of business, but at least here in Asheville, their beautiful buildings have been comepletely restored and are serving their original commercial purposes again. Another big downtown Asheville department store, Ivey's, went out of business about 20 years ago and the buliding now houses an upscale boutique hotel and a mall. It's not as distinctive as Woolworth or Kress, but it's unmistakable because of a long tendril of oversized bronze ivy snaking along the Haywood Street facade.

I guess, if you can't keep the original business, having the building restored and at least serving the purpose it was meant to serve while helping the tax base and drawing in visitors is about as good as it gets. It's certainly about as good as one can hope for.

Oh, and cityboi, we here in Asheville have long thought ourselves on par with Charleston and Savannah... in our mind those two Southern belles are the stodgy old grandmothers, while Asheville is the vivacious young flapper who stays out late haunting the speakeasies and dancing, of all the things, the Charleston.

There are actually 4 store fronts to the old Kress Building in Mobile. One on Dauphin (which the picture shows), one on Royal, one on St. Emanuel, and one on Conti - so the building is actually shaped like a cross. The empty parts of the "cross" are filled in with other buildings. Unfortunately, most are vacant.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a very innovative use of one of these buildings. Can't say that I have ever heard of this being done before. At least Marriott didn't tear down the building to build a new ugly tower or something similar.

The building is on the National Register and they couldn't tear it down without some difficulty. In fact, I think it's because of that particular building that they're interested in a hotel.

• 4 years later...

This thread hasn't been touched in years, but I snapped a couple of pictures of the old Kress building in Selma, Alabama and wanted to add them to the collection.

KressBldg.jpg

Kress2.jpg

---

The Kress building in Montgomery was referenced in an earlier post, which included a photo of one of its two facades. The Montgomery Kress had an entrance on Dexter Avenue and another on Monroe Street.

Dexter Ave

Kress_Dexter1.jpg

Monroe St

Kress_Monroe1.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived