Green Line El Removal

Cotuit

Changes To Causeway Street - The Green Monster Is Coming Down!

By Jeff Twiss

Boston, MA - The green monster is no longer part of the picture! No, not the green monster located approximately 300' from home plate and occupying left field at Fenway Park, but the other famous green monster 'just above' Causeway Street in Boston's north station area. It is fast becoming obsolete to the neighborhood.

First it was the DNC, now the elevated train tracks.

Shortly after the Democratic National Convention concluded in early August, 2004, crews began the steps to remove the decade-old elevated train tracks and buildings that served as places for patrons to obtain their tokens or just to stay warm in the cold winter months.

What does all this mean?

First and foremost, a new look to the area. It provides the North Station surrounding area with a modern and more professional look and feel to it. Second, less noise. The screeching of the train wheels negotiating the tight corners high above Causeway and Lomansey Way will be submerged underground now. Third, sunlight. Mother Nature can now shine proudly down the street and into places it hadn't been able to for many years.

In time and in anticipation for the upcoming Celtics season, accessibility to the FleetCenter will begin to be an easier journey than before. Oh, and here's to many more 'wall balls' for years to come for the original green monster.

Causeway001.jpg

Construction workers have been working tirelessly to bring the enormous structure down.

Causeway002.jpg

An updated look at the work on Causeway St.

Causeway003.jpg

Causeway St. Updated, 9-20-04.

Causeway004.jpg

The Green Line is finally down; updated, 9-21-04.

From Celtics.com

• 1 year later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenline service between North Station and Lechmere resumes this Saturday at the start of service.

I'm probably a little too excited about this, since moving to Somerville I have been forced to take the Green Line shuttle from Lechmere and going down the section of 28 between lechmere and north station during rush hour is a pain in the arse during rush hour...

I'm probably a little too excited about this, since moving to Somerville I have been forced to take the Green Line shuttle from Lechmere and going down the section of 28 between lechmere and north station during rush hour is a pain in the arse during rush hour...

I don't really think you could be *too* excited, I can only imagine what a pain the bustitution has been.

Archived