Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

The best places to telecommute

14 posts in this topic

Telecommuting heavens are places where people can do their best thinking, but not become so isolated that they would go crazy. They are places that provide reliable high-band Internet connections, nice weather, infinite hiking trails and a small airport close by.

City /Metro population/ House price

burlington, vt has nice weather?

those house prices seem riddicolously high as well.

why are nature trails any more condusive to thinking than a good museum or neighborhood diner?

i'll take a big city of any of these anyday.

I don't see why you would need "infinite" hiking trails to do good work either. As far as I'm concerned, any place can be a telecommuting heaven, as long as it has wireless internet and a good place you can work.

Burlington has excellent summer weather, and as for winter, they got some damn fine skiing.

It seems to me to be a list of well-to-do places that are relatively isolated from larger cities. People who telecommute tend to be well paid.....

It seems to me to be a list of well-to-do places that are relatively isolated from larger cities. People who telecommute tend to be well paid.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my bad on the housing then. I thought I read in the article that they were relatively cheap. Guess i was on another category. I stand by my other comments.

My personal list of telecommuting havens...

Key West

South Beach

Las Vegas

NYC

burlington, vt has nice weather?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I question the "nice weather" in Burlington too.

Branson, Mo? :lol:

The only thing I would get out of Branson is a headache.

hilton head island should definately be on the list. i go there twice a year to our timeshare at marriot's grande ocean...check it out sometime...its a great vacation spot, waves suck though :(

Some of the listings were of city population, not metro. I just removed that annotation because I figured it wasn't an issue. A mistake on my part perhaps...

I would imagine Wi-Fi capability must be factored in here, what if you wanted a latee during midmorning snack? lol.

Well... I telecommute and I'm not paid well. :) It's cool to see Hilton Head on this list.

Well, I guess I telecommute since I teach some college courses online. I live in a small MN town because it's cheap and easy. The housing prices are about one-third what's listed in those other places.

I think the vast majority of people who telecommute don't pick a place to live for any particular lifestyle reasons as the article implies, but most likely do so from where they already live. Most people have other obligations--family, etc.--which keep them put.