2nd Most Important or Favorite city in Midwest

monsoon

What is the Second most city in Midwest (assume Chicago #1, Texas not included)  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Second most city in Midwest (assume Chicago #1, Texas not included)

• Kansas City
    • Minneapolis
    • Cleveland
    • Columbus
    • Cincinnati
    • St. Louis
    • Milwaukee
    • Des Moines
    • Indianapolis
    • Detroit
    • Other (explain)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I think Minneapolis will become the second most important city, but I choose Detriot. I think despite it's run down image, it's size (still almost twice Minneapolis) and it's large corporate base, and the of course the auto mfg. still keep Detriot second... for now. If they don't reverse some of their trends though, I have a feeling it won't be second for long.

• 1 year later...

I'd have to say Detroit but not the city of Detroit as much as Metro Detroit. Even if the city itself totally collapses there is still an incredible amount of wealth and industry in the suburbs. Also, the Big 3 have expanded their businesses beyond automobiles...doesn't GM make as much or more money from financial services than automobiles now? Not to mention that U of M is probably the top university in the Midwest overall and Wayne State in Detroit ain't too shabby either.

BTW, is Texas the Midwest? I always think of it as being Southern.

San Antonio and El Paso could be part of the Southwest, too, I guess.

This poll really isn't going anywhere. Half the people are voting for a city they like the best, other people are voting for a city who, in their mind, is the 2nd most important.

How can you have a poll that asks both questions? :blush:

I voted Minnepolis simply because it has a more stable metro are (stable city and suburbs), and has a more diverse economy and job market. Though, Metro Detroit probably shares the position with Minnepolis.

As for Chicago being assumed #1 in the Midwest....well it's pretty a fact.

City of Chicago and Metro Chicago is the largest, most diverse (jobs, business & race/culture), and desirable of any locality/metro between the Appalachains and the Rocky Mountains. It's pretty much a given. (though personal opinion may vary)

I know Chicago is an awesome city, but what is the point of a poll for the 2nd most important city. Detroit is the city that came out with cars. What did Chicago do? Detroit used to have more people than Chicago at 2.5 million. It was more than Chicago at the time.

I know Chicago is an awesome city, but what is the point of a poll for the 2nd most important city. Detroit is the city that came out with cars. What did Chicago do? Detroit used to have more people than Chicago at 2.5 million. It was more than Chicago at the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chicago is way bigger than Detroit. Detroit unofficially peaked at 2.1 million in 1956. It has been falling ever since, and is now something like 900,000. Chicago, on the other hand, peaked at 3,620,962 in 1950. It fell to 2,783,726 by 1990, but gained population during the 1990s, to reach 2,896,016 in 2000.

And what did Chicago do? They were a major center for the railroad. The city grew to be the last large city on the route westward. The city was also a major center for meat packing, as well as producing steel, clothing, agricultural implements, telephones and electrical equipment, iron and steel, and railroad cars.

Actually America's "Second City" is Los Angeles.  Chicago is a distant third.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, L.A. passed Chicago sometime in the 50s or 60s. There are 3,819,951 people living within the city of L.A. A lot of people still refer to Chicago as America's second city, even though it hasn't been true for 40 years. Go figure.

Actually America's "Second City" is Los Angeles.  Chicago is a distant third.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When people refer to Chicago as America's second city it's because Chicago is a city, unlike LA. I'm still interested in how "LA in many ways is more of a city then New York"? You did say that, right? I can't think of one way, let alone many. As I've said before, San Fran is by FAR the best California city.

Yeah, L.A. passed Chicago sometime in the 50s or 60s.  There are 3,819,951 people living within the city of L.A.  A lot of people still refer to Chicago as America's second city, even though it hasn't been true for 40 years.  Go figure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sometimes you need to look past the population charts. Agree or disagree?

Archived