2nd Most Important or Favorite city in Midwest

monsoon

What is the Second most city in Midwest (assume Chicago #1, Texas not included)  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Second most city in Midwest (assume Chicago #1, Texas not included)

• Kansas City
    • Minneapolis
    • Cleveland
    • Columbus
    • Cincinnati
    • St. Louis
    • Milwaukee
    • Des Moines
    • Indianapolis
    • Detroit
    • Other (explain)

The suburbs are a direct representation of the city.

When the Piston's play, they play in Auburn Hills, yet the announces always say, "Live back in Detroit" or "We're here in Motown". People outside Metro Detroit are going to associated The Palace, Pistons, even Auburn Hills as Detroit.

And while some can say there's a suburb v. city thing going on. I think it's on both parts. Some suburbanites might not find the city appealing, etc. But when they want to associate with the city, Many Detroiters look @ them as traitors. With the influx of redevelopment, gentrification, etc. People will, with less hesitance, associate themselves with Detroit. Which, from what I read and observe, is picking up momentum.

My aunt lives in Woodhaven. But everytime she comes to visit, she always tells people that she's from Detroit.

Eminem lived in Warren, but claims Detroit.

Kid Rock lived in some farm town way on the outskirts, but claims Detroit.

Re-Re Franklin has a house in Bloomfield Hills(?), but would most certainly tell someone she's from Detroit.

Now, I might be mistaken, but I think Detroit is one of the most pride-driven cities in the country. And that does nothing but help regional issue like these.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit:

International border- more crossings commercially than any other crossing. What is the definition of importance here? Chicago is top dog, Detroit and its suburbs have some substantial clout to this day, even though many of the industries that made it home have long gone but check both the commercial and individual statistics of economic trade across that major portion of North America.

Respectfully and with peace,

Will

The difference now is that Detroit is starting to fight back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fighting back indeed. Let's hope the auto industry has the courage to match the quality of the others. Most major industry has left, but "Automation Alley" and some of the newer projects coming from the city seem hopeful. Trade is the key economically. There is no doubt, Detroit is in a grand position.

Peace from Will, DetroitBazaar

Money.  There is a "full court press" among business and individual groups to revamp and enhance the image and reality of the region.  Money that is old and spends well.

Peace to you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That said I'd lower the darn taxes a bit. Everyone sees the new plants being built in the south. Why not compete for those job as well.

Between 2000 and 2004, the Detroit CSA saw a net gain of about 16,000 people each year. The Minneapolis CSA saw a net gain of about 38,000 people each year. If both cities continue as they have over the last four years, Minneapolis won't catch up to Detroit until the year 2099.

But even then, Detroit will probably expand the boundaries of its CSA in the next census or two. As soon as the Ann Arbor UA and the Detroit UA combine to form one larger UA, they'll become one MSA. This will in turn add both Jackson and Lenawee counties to the CSA. (That's an additional 300,000 people) Also, Sanilac county (50,000) will probably be added to the MSA as its commuter rate was less than 1% away from the 25% needed to be included in the last census.

Then there's Shiawassee county (80,000). Ironically, over 25% of the county does actually commute to Southeastern Michigan. However, that 25% is split between Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Flint, so it doesn't count for anything. Right now it's attached to the Lansing CSA because 21% of the county also commutes to the Lansing MSA. Already 11% of workers commute to what will become the Detroit-Ann Arbor MSA, and I'm guessing as Livingston county continues to grow at an explosive rate, more and more Shiawassee county workers will commute to that area for work. So, my guess is that by next census between 15% and 20% of the county will commute to the Detroit MSA, and even though more may commute to the Lansing MSA, I think that it will be given to Detroit due to the fact that Detroit and Flint would combine for around 35% of the workforce.

So basically, as early as 2010, the Detroit CSA could add as many as four new counties and have over 6 million people.

And then there's the whole Toledo issue. Toledo is already starting to take Monroe county from the Detroit CSA. If Monroe county does join the Toledo MSA, that means that the Toledo MSA could be even closer to joining the Detroit CSA. Assuming Monroe county was already a part of the Toledo MSA, the commuter rate between the future Detroit-Ann Arbor MSA and the Toledo MSA was already at 7% in 2000. As Monroe County grows and the ties between Toledo and Detroit continue to grow, that number could easily double to 15% in the next 10 to 15 years.

So by the 2020 census with the addition of Toledo, the Detroit CSA could be over 7 million.

At that time, Minneapolis' CSA will probably be in the range of 4 to 4.5 million.

Between 2000 and 2004, the Detroit CSA saw a net gain of about 16,000 people each year.  The Minneapolis CSA saw a net gain of about 38,000 people each year.  If both cities continue as they have over the last four years, Minneapolis won't catch up to Detroit until the year 2099.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's crazy.

I don't think the Superbowl's effect is as large as some might expect. I think the revitalization going on in different neighborhoods would be happening even if Detroit wasn't hosting the Superbowl. Downtown is really the only area seeing investment directly due to the Superbowl.

I don't think the Superbowl's effect is as large as some might expect.  I think the revitalization going on in different neighborhoods would be happening even if Detroit wasn't hosting the Superbowl.  Downtown is really the only area seeing investment directly due to the Superbowl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes indeed. How many of you remember the Superbowl in Minneapolis?

Hmmm. Thought not.

Yes, it's a great thing. But remember: IT'S TEMPORARY. No one (except football geeks) will remember it was in Detroit 10 years from now. More people remember Detroit for the incredible contributions it made to popular music over the years, or to it's automotive industry. The Superbowl is a throwaway celebration and is a throwaway memory. I'd rather have Detroit remembered for the great things it offers. Just like MSP or STL or CLE or ORD or MKE.

Yeah, the Super Bowl is throwaway. But what comes out of it does have a profound effect. I think having Detroit host the Super Bowl will help immensely with its image problem. Plus, one could say if the Super Bowl wasn't coming, a lot of the infrastructural projects, facade projects, etc. would be on the back burner. The Super Bowl is coming at a perfect time to Detroit and will give it a big push.

Yeah, the Super Bowl is throwaway. But what comes out of it does have a profound effect. I think having Detroit host the Super Bowl will help immensely with its image problem. Plus, one could say if the Super Bowl wasn't coming, a lot of the infrastructural projects, facade projects, etc. would be on the back burner. The Super Bowl is coming at a perfect time to Detroit and will give it a big push.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you are right about those intangibles that come with hosting a major event. But again, even those are temporary. However the improvements in infrastructure will be much more permanent and better for the city in the long run. I'm sure Ford Field will look good under the lights.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. Just came across this place.

From the comments and voting the #2 most important title is down to Detroit and Minneapolis, and I agree. Detroit has it over Minneapolis in all the raw numbers. But Minneapolis has the more favorable number trends right now. Detroit's the current #2, but I think it's a more a horse race than Detroiters will acknowledge. And if skylines equated to importance, well ... ;)

As for the Superbowl stuff... In a one year span Minneapolis had: (1) the Stanley Cup, (2) the World Series, (3) the Superbowl, and (4) the NCAA Final Four. 1991-92. It was good for image-building, but it was a very fleeting impact on the city's importance.

Definitely Detroit with Minneapolis in a distant third. I don't particularly care for the area (and I currently live in Ann Arbor and spend a lot of time throughtout the metro) but it's undeniably how much wealth and influence the metro has a whole.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank Hudkina for the detailed summary of the future growth of the Ann Arbor-Detroit MSA. It gave some numbers to some intuitions I have had about the metro region, especially wrt Toledo. And of course there will never be a US federal MSA that includes the Windsor region, separated from downtown Detroit by merely a river (which happens to be an internatonal border).

I think this poll should be two polls, 'favorite' and 'influencial'. Detroit ought to win hands down as the most important and influential after Chicago. The raw humans (officially 5.5 million), the raw dollars (Oakland County being almost the wealthiest county in the nation) allow Metro Detroit to win no matter how extremely inefficient they may be laid out. Detroit has the major sports teams too, a sign of its large media market.

Transit has been mentioned and Detroit is the largest American metro region without a regional rapid transit system. However, last week's transportation bill included a further $100 million towards an Ann Arbor to Detroit rapid transit system (commuter rail). Other systems that had been planned but stalled include the SpeedLink bus rapid transit corridors. Downtown Detroit also does have grade-separated rail transit, just a pitiful amount of mileage of it. At least Amtrak makes multiple daily stops in Pontiac, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Dearborn, and Ann Arbor, although they stopped official commuter rail years ago. But transit will continue to be the region's biggest problem, IMO. Meantime, you would be surprised by the number of households who live in Detroit without a car at all and manage to get around.

Ann Arbor/Detroit is a national second tier biotech city along with Chicago, and I think that will become more important for the region's economy in decades to come.

More people may consider Minneapolis their favorite though. But try comparing the "Minneapolis sound" to the Motown Sound.

Detroit has the major sports teams too, a sign of its large media market. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a friendly reminder. MSP has seven professional sports teams. The Vikings (NFL), Twins (AL), Wild (NHL), Timberwolves (NBA), Lynx (WNBA), Thunder (USISL), and Swarm (NLL).

Other than that, your comments are good. :thumbsup:

Archived