Gateway Building in Greenville

motonenterprises

I was downtown today. When heading out I noticed that the area where I believe they were going to build the Gateway Building had construction boards around it. It is at the corner of Church St. and E. North St. close to where it begins to turn to 385. Lots of stuff going on downtown. Could it be that they have decided to build it! I hope so.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Are you certain that its not part of the 385 expansion? Keep an eye on the papers. I would think that something like that would be plastered all over the front page :) I hope it is what you think it is. Greenville needs some more towers !

Those boards have been there since they imploded the old mem. auditorium. When the hurricanes came through, they got blown down, and you could see into the pit...I'd say its about 15-20 feet deep, and full of weeds. But yeah, the boards have been there since 97.

No worries. I wish that they would do something with that property. I'd like to see it become more a pedestrian zone from Bilo Ctr to Main, and down college Street to Richardson St/Townes St. But you're right, putting a building there would be a great boom to downtown, not mention trying to sell it as a regional headquarter for a major company, such as IBM or Microsuck, which are both going to have offices at the ICAR site. Like in Field of Dreams, "if you build it, they will come"

Was downtown again today. They are setting up for the Fall for Greenville festival this coming weekend. Stopped by City Hall while I was down there to ask questions. The lady at the counter said that the city still owns the property and that there are 2 possibilities left for it. She said those who were behind the Gateway Building proposal are still considering building it. Also, another developer is looking at the property also to build office space and shops. So we could still get that skyscraper! I hope so.

It would be good to have something more than 30 stories, but any more than 40 would be dwarfing everything around. I like 30 - 40 simply because it'd be noticed, but not stick out like a sore thumb. I'm actually going to take my digital camera, and get some pics of Greenville, and post them here. I need to get a decent host or find if someone will host them for me. email me if any of you have idea's.

michael.jarvis(at)gmx(dot)net

Check out this thread for some image hosting suggestions.

Greenville just needs some taller buildings for the sake of visibility. You can't really see downtown from very far off. The farthest spot that I've ever seen it from is on Laurens Rd. But I've never driven all around to look for the best spots:) I bet there would be a decent view from Paris Mountain.

• 1 month later...

Poisett Homes is building (two are built) condos next to the new Publix on Pelham Rd. near were Pelham meets E. North St. They are called The Summit and they are supposed to have an amazing view of downtown.

Summit-new-sm2.jpg

The Summit

Also, off of Pelham Rd. Between Villagio Verde and Pelham Rd. is The Plantation on Pelham and it is supposed to have a great view of downtown as well. Here is a shot from this new development.

POP%20VIEW.jpg

Plantation on Pelham

Website for Plantation on Pelham

Village Verde Should have a great view as well, actually by the time it is done, the Plantation maynot have a view anymore.

www.villagio-verde.com

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

There is a nice article in the Greenville Journal this week about the Gateway proposal, and a nice history and some info on the property. Check it out on page 51. You can get the Journal for free at several restaurants, including Stax's Omega @ Orchard Park, and at Carolina Fine Foods on Augusta @ Potomac Ave.

• 2 weeks later...

WYFF Channel 4 had a story about new plans for the Gateway site. Here is the story as it is posted on their web site.

Story

Another Developer Makes Plans For Former Auditorium Site

Three Previous Plans Have Fallen Through

POSTED: 4:25 pm EST December 13, 2004

GREENVILLE -- After a series of loud bangs in September 1997, the Memorial Auditorium at the corner of Church Street and East North Street was cleared away to make room for whatever would come next to replace it.

Seven years later, the site still stands empty.

"I think most people really just want to see the hole filled," Economic Development Director Nancy Witworth said. "Sizewise, it's not the biggest site, obviously, but it's key because of its prominence in downtown."

Three previous plans to turn the area into office have been proposed since 1997, and all three have failed to come to fruition.

But now, an unnamed developer says it's willing to give it a shot, and city officials are thrilled at the prospect.

"We think this developer has done a lot of the homework ahead of time now, and we think the market is right to go forward with this development and we're very excited about it," City Manager Jim Bourey said.

Officials said the developers will conduct a market study before deciding what to build at the site. They'll also put down a $10,000 deposit to buy the land from the two current owners of the site.

"I think that kind of taking a look at something beyond just offices is going to be important," Whitworth said.

The Greenville City Council could vote Monday on whether to approve the plan. If they do, the plan would go before the Greenville Arena District, which must also sign off on the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

The view from the ridge directly in front of Greenville Tech on Pleasantburg is really nice. You can also get an even better view by going up the hill onto the Easlan Baptist Church property (also across the street from G'ville Tech).

Another of the more impressive entrances into the city is from the Poe Mill area, coming into downtown on the new Western Corridor. The upcoming buildings will be great additions to this perspective.

The best approach in recent years, besides the Wade Hampton one, is coming into downtown on Highway 123 over the vista just after Highway 124. This one will definitely give you a view of every large project going on in the CBD.

:)

Has anyone seen ANY pics/conceptual drwings/etc. of the Gateway site's future? I saw the one included in the Vision 2025 insert a couple of months ago, but I think that was just someone's attempt to maybe get things moving. What have you heard as a possibility for the site? Is it going to be big, or do you think it might be a disappointment? :(

Anyone have any ideas that would be good for the site? I have one that I really think would work well with the city as a whole. :)

I don't think any plans have been made public yet, but the Option expire at the end of Feb. so the developers are required by then to make their plans public or decide to not go ahead witht he project. So I think in the next 2 months we will here of something.

Archived