Gateway Building in Greenville

motonenterprises

Speaking of Greenville, i remember readin  an article in the Greenville news about annexation on the northwest side, i believe.  It was supposed to include about 30,000+ people.  Is this still in the works?  What is the 2004 estimate of the city population of Greenville?  I know Charleston is annexing like crazy.  2000 census hads its city population at 96,000, but now the estimate from the city permits department puts it almost at 110,000+ for 2005.  North Charleston is looking at possibly 85,000+ and Mount Pleasant close to 65,000.  I'm not sure about Columbia, I think they're still hovering around 117,000+.  It would be nice to see Greenville break the 100,000 mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, especially because its realistacally a city already over 100,000+.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Greenville, i remember readin  an article in the Greenville news about annexation on the northwest side, i believe.  It was supposed to include about 30,000+ people.  Is this still in the works?  What is the 2004 estimate of the city population of Greenville?  I know Charleston is annexing like crazy.  2000 census hads its city population at 96,000, but now the estimate from the city permits department puts it almost at 110,000+ for 2005.  North Charleston is looking at possibly 85,000+ and Mount Pleasant close to 65,000.  I'm not sure about Columbia, I think they're still hovering around 117,000+.  It would be nice to see Greenville break the 100,000 mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have neither seen nor heard anything about any Greenville annexation. That must have been Greenville NC or some other city. I know Fayetteville had discussed an annexation of that size, but backed off. Also, Charlotte routinely annexes populations of that size. Maybe it was the Observer you were reading.

There has never been an annexation that large (in population) in the history of South Carolina to my knowledge. Least of all in tax-averse Greenville. Since Greenville is still basically the same population now as it was 40-50 years ago, it is extremely unlikely to reach 100,000 in less time than that, without a significant revision in state annexation laws.

I have neither seen nor heard anything about any Greenville annexation.  That must have been Greenville NC or some other city.  I know Fayetteville had discussed an annexation of that size, but backed off.  Also, Charlotte routinely annexes populations of that size.  Maybe it was the Observer you were reading.

There has never been an annexation that large (in population) in the history of South Carolina to my knowledge.  Least of all in tax-averse Greenville.  Since Greenville is still basically the same population now as it was 40-50 years ago, it is extremely unlikely to reach 100,000 in less time than that, without a significant revision in state annexation laws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be vitually imposisble to annex that many people at once in South Carolina.

Randy1 check your PM please.

Feb. 28 can't get here fast enough. I'm like a kid waiting for christmas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget, three or four deals have already fallen through on this site. It is a challenging location because of the one way streets and even the two-way Church Street isn't ideal for access either.

I know 3 to 4 deals have fell through i just hope this one isn't another failed attempt. This site should be the "Crown Jewell" of Greenville I hope these developers understand the great potential this site has . This should be something spectacular like the Chrysler building.

I certainly hope that this will be the case. But I have this bad feeling deep inside that, until we actually see a grand plan unveiled, the chances remain pretty high that we may be dissappointed. Lets just hope and pray that any possible dissapointment will be destroyed by the greatest plan ever announced in Greenville history. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly hope that this will be the case.  But I have this bad feeling deep inside that, until we actually see a grand plan unveiled, the chances remain pretty high that we may be dissappointed.  Lets just hope and pray that any possible dissapointment will be destroyed by the greatest plan ever announced in Greenville history. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely someone has heard something about this new construction site. Please tell!

That's true! However, I'm somewhat inclined to believe that his other building will be located on a very small piece of land "similar" to the Pinnacle on Main, as stated in the article. You may be right, though. :) I would prefer to see a smaller 14-story building developed on the Gateway site anyday over the atrocious concepts I've already seen. :thumbsup:

I haven't picked up my copy of this week's GSABusiness Journal, but I hear that there is an article in it titled, "Memorial Auditorium site suffers setback." If anyone knows anything about the contents of this story, please post them as soon as possible. I'll be in class until 11pm, so there's no way I can get a copy before tomorrow. Thank you! :)

Found it! :thumbsup: Here is what was posted on their website...

memaud.jpg

Mark Jones, Senior Reporter

An agreement to bring minor league baseball to Greenville's West End answered one of the city's largest development questions. But it appears the city has again struck out when it comes to development plans for the former Memorial Auditorium property at the other end of downtown.

Over the past four years, Greenville city officials have entered into three preliminary development agreements for the property at the corner of East North and Church streets. None of the projects came to fruition.

Greenville City Manager Jim Bourey says the latest deadline for a proposal on a mixed-use development will expire without a plan. The city and unnamed developers had extended an option on the site, and the city gave 120 days for a more formal proposal with details regarding general uses, size, parking, circulation and other requirements, he says.

Other parties who have expressed interest in the site will be contacted, says Bourey, and he believes the city can expect more proposals to follow.

"This is a real key site for us for a number of reasons," says Bourey. "It's really a terrific site that will have plenty of interest. I think it's just a matter of finding the right developer and having the timing right."

Wow. What sad news! :cry: I hope they will be contacting only the most ambitious developers in the future.

I haven't read the GSABusiness articles, except what is posted here. However, the site has obvious problems. It is isolated from the rest of downtown by the high traffic arteries that surround it. E. North and College Street are both one-way streets. Access from College St. is impossible under the current configuration. East North isn't a lot better. That block of Church Street stays filled with cars in both directions for the entire block. Can you imagine trying to turn Left from Church Street into the property?

Why would an office tenant go there, when they can just as easily go to the Main @ McBee building, or the NationsBank builing, or the Landmark building?

This is now the fourth developer that has looked at it, and backed off. Nothing is going there until the traffic patterns change. A condo building is the only reasonable possibility until that happens, and even that is unlikely.

Found it! :thumbsup:  Here is what was posted on their website...

memaud.jpg

Mark Jones, Senior Reporter

An agreement to bring minor league baseball to Greenville's West End answered one of the city's largest development questions. But it appears the city has again struck out when it comes to development plans for the former Memorial Auditorium property at the other end of downtown.

Over the past four years, Greenville city officials have entered into three preliminary development agreements for the property at the corner of East North and Church streets. None of the projects came to fruition.

Greenville City Manager Jim Bourey says the latest deadline for a proposal on a mixed-use development will expire without a plan. The city and unnamed developers had extended an option on the site, and the city gave 120 days for a more formal proposal with details regarding general uses, size, parking, circulation and other requirements, he says.

Other parties who have expressed interest in the site will be contacted, says Bourey, and he believes the city can expect more proposals to follow.

"This is a real key site for us for a number of reasons," says Bourey. "It's really a terrific site that will have plenty of interest. I think it's just a matter of finding the right developer and having the timing right."

Wow.  What sad news! :cry:  I hope they will be contacting only the most ambitious developers in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the rest of the article. BTW, if you want to know how crazy my life has been lately, I had already bought this edition of GSABusiness Journal last Friday, but forgotten about it!!! :w00t:

Picking up from where it left off...

He [bourey] says the prominent location, along with the main entryway into the city from Interstate 385 offers a unique opportunity for developers to make a mark. From the city

I hate to hear this. As far as the site not being a good site, lets keep in mind that the Memorial Auditorium used to be there and did well. And also, are the buildings at Liberty Square not on a one way street also? They seem to do ok. I want badly to see a building taller than the 24 storys Landmark building, but I guess I will have to wait.

Archived