Gateway Building in Greenville

motonenterprises

I hate to hear this. As far as the site not being a good site, lets keep in mind that the Memorial Auditorium used to be there and did well. And also, are the buildings at Liberty Square not on a one way street also? They seem to do ok. I want badly to see a building taller than the 24 storys Landmark building, but I guess I will have to wait.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Memorial Auditorium was a public, single-source, city-wide usage. In other words, the location had no competitor. An office building has a multitude of competitors. The Liberty Square building has had significant vacancy in recent years, and one of their current tenants is moving to Riverplace. However, with that building, the masses are coming in off of 385, and can easily turn right into their garage. There is no easy way into the Gateway site because College Street has no entrance to it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with that comment! :D

Actually, as far as parking for a building goes, the garage across the street will be where most of the tenants will park. It is not very hard to enter because you only have to make a right onto Church Street and you're there. :)

This site does pose a problem or two regarding public access, however remember what great things have been done in other cities around the world on sites much more difficult than this one. ;)

If you needed more parking you could do it onsite, underground. You could dig it down and then enter on the left side of E. Norht St. or what ever street that is that the Bilo Center is on. You could put entrances to the underground garage where the big wall is.

If you needed more parking you could do it onsite, underground.  You could dig it down and then enter on the left side of E. Norht St. or what ever street that is that the Bilo Center is on.  You could put entrances to the underground garage where the big wall is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a nice idea. :) It would be no more difficult to enter thsn the Hyatt entrance. I also agree that an underground garage would best utilize the property, and definitely support parking for a much larger/taller structure. :thumbsup:

There is an article in this week's Greenville Journal about the "Gateway" site. Of course, as we've already learned, it states that the current deal is set to expire on Monday (tomorrow) without anything happening. The writer also gives a rundown on the history of potential developments that haven't happened since the former Memorial Auditorium was imploded in 1998. Of the ones mentioned, I believe that the first development would have been the most promising, had it been built as planned. If you recall, it was a 15-story/250,000sf structure by Highwoods Properties. The proposals since then have been very inferior, but now that the latest developer has failed to achieve a successful plan, a glimmer of hope remains that we may still witness the construction of the most dramatic structure in the history of the city (and hopefully the STATE, except for the Ravenel Bridge). :)

Hey guys, just found out that the candy group llc got a thirty day addition to their lease on the greenville memorial auditorium (gateway sight). This project might not be dead after all. Why else would the group request thirty more days if they didnt need it.

This is absolutely great news!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a article about the Gateway sight.

GREENVILLE -- In another month, the city of Greenville says it will either have a developer for the former Memorial Auditorium site, or it will have to start looking all over again.

The Greenville City Council agreed in December to grant an unnamed development firm 60 days to present a plan for developing the site, which has been empty since the auditorium was destroyed to be replaced by the BI-LO Center seven years ago.

"It's used as a parking lot where there are events at the BI-LO Center, and that's pretty much it, and no attention is paid to it any other time," Debbie Jennings, of the Discover Upcountry Association, told WYFF News 4's Gordon Dill.

But the 60 days have passed, and no agreement has been reached between the development group and the city.

"They're really a great group, and we really would love to see something work with them. So far, we haven't been close necessarily on a proposal," City Manager Jim Bourey said.

The group has been granted an additional 30 days to come to an agreement with the city.

If no agreement is reached, Bourey said that they will talk with several other groups that have expressed an interest in the site.

Three previous proposals have failed to come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

The extended deadline is looming in a couple of weeks. What will be the outcome of this developer's ambitions? I haven't heard.

A good idea would be to look for a master-architect in another location to present him or her with a list of flexible objectives for the site, and then turn the site over to him or her to complete a unique design concept. As was mentioned in an article I read awhile back, sometimes a city will build an icon before they may actually need it, just knowing that now is the time and that it will be filled (basically, "if you build it, they will come"). :) Not a bad idea IMO.

Something along this line would be wonderful!  This is the 35-story RSA Battle House Tower, under construction in Mobile, Alabama.  A really nice design... :thumbsup:

2127rsatower.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow!! Imagine a building like that to add to my hometown's skyline! That's the kind of building that would really be beautiful there...one that looks like the Empire State building, but shorter.

Whats the probability of G-ville building something that big? I agree I would love to see it at the Gateway site, but just seeing one over 12 seems like a to few a far between. Not trying to be pessamistic, I love the idea of tall buildings in G-ville, just seems like pulling teeth trying to get one over 12 or 13 nowadays. Tallest in SC anyone, I would love it.

Archived