Gateway Building in Greenville

motonenterprises

FYI: The Greenville County Boards & Commissions website has listed that 3 vacancies exist on the Greenville Arena District board. Wouldn't it be great to be a member of that group when the plan is presented? They will be taking apps throughout the months of Jan and Feb, which means chances of being there for the big day would be highly unlikely.

I don't know about you all, but my real New Years celebration will happen when that plan is finally unveiled. This board will light up like an out-of-control wildfire during a 10-year drought when that news is released. :)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This link is to a PDF of a Flyer for Pre-Leasing of the Gateway Site. Gateway Site

It contains renderings and a site plan. If you notice the date of the flyer is May 03 and they had been expected to finish by late 2004 I think it is safe to assume that this is from one of the past faild attempts to develop the site. I hope that is the case, this building in my point of view is just to small for the site. Looks like only 4 floors.

Thank God this plan is not the latest! :rolleyes: Notice the date that this particular plan was drawn up and also the date that was proposed for occupancy. It is mighty scary though! :unsure: If anyone knows for sure whether this is the actual proposal, please state so, and we'll get down to more serious discussion. Thanks! :)

It just seems to me that considering the size of the Greenville & Spartanburg area, there should be more towers in both cities, especially Greenville. It doesn't need to look like Charlotte, but it has such potential to be bigger/taller and better than it is.

I also agree with that, Spartan. This area is already a major business market, and all you have to do is take a drive anywhere around the larger cities/suburbs to find out that it is only growing stronger. :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed, when looking at those renderings, was how this development didn't seem to be a good fit for the area around the Bi-Lo Center. I would rather see some kind of mixed-use facility with lots of creative retail and restaurant space, a hotel of sorts (for teams, performers, business people, and visitors), and definitely an impressive office tower to stand as a unique showpiece of the new life in Greenville. :)

Okay, we've seen some of the drawings that others have created for the site, but none have met our approval as of yet. I think we ought to give a few suggestions as to what we think would be best for that site in the long run. You never know who may be reading these... :D

My idea (which I began drawing a couple of years ago, but haven't finished) is, as I mentioned earlier, to incorporate both office and hotel space into a uniquely designed, pedestrian-focussed entertainment/retail/restaurant atmosphere. I envision a new large, enclosed bridge spanning over the traffic entering the CBD by I-385, creating an actual 'gateway' to the heart of the city. The bridge, which could serve as both a cross-over and include small shops/concessions, would be anchored on either end by fairly tall and thick towers (I had originally thought they should be old-world european in style, but something original could be much more stunning).

The lower levels of the complex would be totally focussed on atracting both locals and visitors alike, and would include clothing stores, specialty shops, and nice eateries, all flowing in and out of doors ( a kind of mall in downtown!).

The side of the property where traffic leaves downtown is the location of the hotel. This hotel is unique, because each floor contains a maximum of only two suites! The height of this building would be roughly 15 stories.

The office tower is one of the most awesome you'll see anywhere. I have always dreamt of a round restaurant in the sky on the top of a tall building, and I strongly believe that this would be an ideal location for that. Above the restaurant (which could be called 'Sky High' :lol: ) there is a towering spire that seems to dissappear into the atmosphere, commanding the awareness of all who pass city both near and far. My planned building height is anywhere from 15 to 30 or more stories tall, plus the spire above. :D

I could definitely go into more detail, but because of time and attention, I'll leave it there for your perusal. ;)

I will try to create some 3D renderings and post them, but I'm not sure how long it might be before you see them, because of full-time work and full-time school. :)

Here is what I have in mind, and it the site may not be big enough but bare with me.

First off there would be a massive underground parking deck.

Since the site is traingle i am imagining three gothic towers, one on each corner, each one a different hieght. As you enter the city the first tower would be say 12 stories, then the left rear corner like 22 and the right rear 30+.

The base of all three towers would be connected along the roads with street retail and maybe 2 or 3 stories above that with condos.

Inside these walls would be a court yard, either a plaza or garden.

All three towers would be mixed use, office rental, office condo, apartments and res. condos.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the site may be two small for something like that, but it would be cool.

Yeah, that would be really nice! :thumbsup: As far as fitting a development of that scale onto the site, it's amazing what has been built on properties of that size and shape. I think it would give some engineers and architects a real challenge/opportunity to raise their status and visibility. :)

but something original could be much more stunning).

Above the restaurant (which could be called 'Sky High' :lol: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bridge could be modeled after the liberty bridge.

I think every city needs a restaurant in the sky. It doesn't have to be 45 stories tall, just high enough to where you can sit and look out over everything. rotating is great, but not necessary.

Yes. I wish it were open more often though. Its more of a convention center type thing. Very frustrating. I think that its only open on Sundays for brunch. It was for a while last year if nothing else. It doesn't even need to rotate, it just needs to be open!

Thanks, Motonenterprises; I hadn't known that. :) It depends on the type of company that is designing the building. At one point, a Columbia company had plans for an simple five-story building which would have been a total waste of space, but obviously they have since scrapped that one (I am grateful for that!). The original Highwoods building was said to be 15 stories tall, with a unique conical appendage on top. Something of that nature would be far wiser use of the property, though not even as good as can be done. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Greenville, i remember readin an article in the Greenville news about annexation on the northwest side, i believe. It was supposed to include about 30,000+ people. Is this still in the works? What is the 2004 estimate of the city population of Greenville? I know Charleston is annexing like crazy. 2000 census hads its city population at 96,000, but now the estimate from the city permits department puts it almost at 110,000+ for 2005. North Charleston is looking at possibly 85,000+ and Mount Pleasant close to 65,000. I'm not sure about Columbia, I think they're still hovering around 117,000+. It would be nice to see Greenville break the 100,000 mark.

Archived