Pittsburgh Invented Coffee?!

PghUSA

http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/archive....mplete&ref=2823

John Arbuckle who was a Scottish Immigrant basically invented coffee for mass consumption in Pittsburgh! Before he came along coffee was a rarity given that after roasting the coffee beans they would spoil within hours if not ground into coffee. So to have any practical way of serving coffee you would have to have access to fresh beans be able to roast and serve within 24 hours. Arbuckle was the Henry Ford of beverages!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was at the Scottish Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain this summer, several drunken Scottsmen told me the Scottish invented the world.  (and they were serious too)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

. . . Arbuckle was from Scotland . . . so was Pittsburgh's other "great" man Andrew Carnegie maybe we are just a scottish outpost lol. Anyay I'll get back to my McDonald's sandwich now . . . OMG THE SCOTS ARE TAKING OVER! wonder if wendy's is a scottish name :D

. . . Arbuckle was from Scotland . . . so was Pittsburgh's other "great" man Andrew Carnegie  maybe we are just a scottish outpost lol.  Anyay I'll get back to my McDonald's sandwich now . . . OMG THE SCOTS ARE TAKING OVER!  wonder if wendy's is a scottish name :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would that McDonald's sandwich be a Big Mac by chance? Because that was invented in Pittsburgh :D

BTW, the Scottish did invent the world :P

• 1 month later...

When I was at the Scottish Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain this summer, several drunken Scottsmen told me the Scottish invented the world.  (and they were serious too)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Scots did invent the Modern world....there is even a book written all about it. Its called..

How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It

by ARTHUR HERMAN

Go to

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...769629?v=glance

The Scots did invent the Modern world....there is even a book written all about it. Its called..

How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It

by ARTHUR HERMAN

Go to

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...769629?v=glance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the tip i'll check it out, very intriguing ;)

Carnegie was after all Scottish, and a Pittsburgher too. Maybe thats the link to world dominance :P

Actually Arbuckle is considered by purists to have destroyed good coffee in America.  Coffee is best if produced from beans roasted within 12 hours to two weeks.  Ground coffee breaks down and turns rancid within two hours of being ground.  This unfortunately is the coffee that most American's are familiar with today which comes out of a can of Maxwell House, Folgers, etc;  all decendants of Arbuckle's coffee. 

. . . As a result there has been a revival in home roasting which was made possible by the Internet. 

Arbuckle's invention was bad for the community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Up until the close of the Civil War, coffee was sold green. It had to be roasted on a wood stove or in a skillet over a campfire before it could be ground and brewed. One burned bean ruined all; there was no consistency. In 1865, John Arbuckle and his brother Charles, partners in a Pittsburgh grocery business, changed all this by patenting a process for roasting and coating coffee beans with an egg and sugar glaze to seal in the flavor and aroma. Marketed under the name ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEE, in patented, airtight, one pound packages, the new coffee was an instant success with chuck wagon cooks in the west faced with the task of keeping Cowboys supplied with plenty of hot coffee out on the range."

also: http://www.utep.edu/twp/arbuck.htm

Never was a huge coffee fan so you might be right, from what I'm reading its kinda like the Ford Model T compared to the Rolls Royce any car fanatic will tell you that the hand crafted unsurpassed mechanics of a Rolls Royce is the best, but if you in the Arizona Territory in 1900 you'll settle on a model-T. Today with next day air and online "just-in-time" ordering Arbuckle's process is a unpure modification, but coffee might have gone the way of the malt shop if it wasn't for his inventions making it accesible to the average joe or cowboy and hardy enough to keep on the trail for months. ;)

Archived