Downtown Columbia Growing

emerging.me

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I saw that store one night...its "Wishing..." I dont remember the entire name. It was very colorful (neon green) and caught my attention very quickly. :shok: I'm glad people are helping to bring the area bak to life. I really wish someone would redo that entire mall. It could be like Charlston Place in downtown Charleston. :shades: Since they have a gucci maybe we can have a louis vuitton... :rofl:

Yeah I saw that store one night...its "Wishing..." I dont remember the entire name. It was very colorful (neon green) and caught my attention very quickly. :shok: I'm glad people are helping to bring the area bak to life. I really wish someone would redo that entire mall. It could be like Charlston Place in downtown Charleston. :shades: Since they have a gucci maybe we can have a louis vuitton... :rofl:

It's called Wish.

Maybe it will be there this Sunday when we meet for the forim meet in front of the museum. (oops, wrong website)

There's a forum meeting this Sunday in front of the museum? What time? I had read that the sculpture was to be put in place the last two days of October. I don't know what the hold-up is. They now have one of those orange mesh nets around the square hole in the cement where it's going. Down in the hole are some pipes where the water will come from.

There's a forum meeting this Sunday in front of the museum? What time? I had read that the sculpture was to be put in place the last two days of October. I don't know what the hold-up is. They now have one of those orange mesh nets around the square hole in the cement where it's going. Down in the hole are some pipes where the water will come from.

It was posted on another online forum for a forum meeting in the plaza in front of the art museum on Sunday the 12th at 1pm. I think most of you that post on here post on there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever gets a chance, check out how the Palmetto Building (future Sheraton Boutique) where they have finished refurbishing the windows, including the ones where the opulent architecture is. Not all of the windows are done yet; there is ply board in a lot of them still, but you can tell from the the ones they have completed that the building is going to be an absolute gem for the entire state. It is going to be beautiful!!

Whoever gets a chance, check out how the Palmetto Building (future Sheraton Boutique) looks where they have finished refurbishing the windows, including the ones where the opulent architecture is. Not all of the windows are done yet; there is ply board in a lot of them still, but you can tell from the the ones they have completed that the building is going to be an absolute gem for the entire state. It is going to be beautiful!!

Wow! I can't wait to see it, and experience it. :yahoo:

Was in town over Thanksgiving and went for a long run on Friday afternoon, and here's what I thought...

1. Convention Center looks great, really like the landscaping around there. Very nicely done and that little area will be very nice once the hotel is done.

2. Didn't realize the new convention hotel was red brick; dark red brick. That's a lot of red brick... Although it will be nice to have a building with some height in that spot.

3. Can't wait to see what happens with the old fire department headquarters. Love the balcony detailing on that building. Very cool potential there.

4. Lady Street looked great - really liked the huge planters on the railroad bridge. It will need a lot of infill work to really kick to life.

5. Publix and the new Trustus make a cool little nook in the Vista. Really like Trustus's marquee.

6. Have to say that the new bank building (First Citizens?) is a very handsome building that has nice presence. Like most of you I wish it were taller, but would rather have well done and not tall than just plain old tall...

7. Am very excited about the building that Tom Prioreschi is redoing on the other side of Sumter. This is an extremely cool project and very imaginative on his part.

8. Very excited about Bull Street - this has potential to really transform the city in such an important way. Can anyone tell me anything about the bakery back by the Hampton Preston House, Chocolate Nirvana? Looked really good, but was closed when I was out running.

9. The Riverwalk is so, so cool and was really busy on Friday with folks enjoying themselves. Must say that everyone in my group thought that the new housing development on the West Columbia side was abysmal. Horribile siting, bad design, yuckky fencing with super chintzy fake stone concrete pillars - nothing good about it at all. My condolences to anyone who has purchased a lot or house there...

10. Still not impressed with the Arnold School of Public Health building, but not as bad as I thought from the photos posted here. Maybe it will look better when the rest of its block is completed. Also thought the CVS under construction on Assembly wasn't nearly as bad as folks were making it out to be in earlier posts.

Also, concerning infill on Lady, you're right, but it's on the way. There's the hotel coming near the Lady Huger intersection, the Lofts at Printers Square condo/penthouse complex near Trustus, the planned condo-hotel complex closer to the other end of Lady, and the planned parking garage (I think that will go at the corner of Lady and Gadsden, if I'm not mistaken). Even then, there will still be some parking lots that will need to bite the dust.

Probably the only thing I don't like about Publix is the use of new brick for the part that isn't part of the original Confederate Printing Plant structure. They should have went with recycled brick on that one.

We've lamented the lost opportunity on the West Columbia side of the river with that awful gated housing development. How could they do something as great as the Riverwalk, then have that planning disaster right next to it? West Columbia ain't Charleston, and I think that's the feel they may have been going for.

Also, concerning infill on Lady, you're right, but it's on the way. There's the hotel coming near the Lady Huger intersection, the Lofts at Printers Square condo/penthouse complex near Trustus, the planned condo-hotel complex closer to the other end of Lady, and the planned parking garage (I think that will go at the corner of Lady and Gadsden, if I'm not mistaken). Even then, there will still be some parking lots that will need to bite the dust.

Probably the only thing I don't like about Publix is the use of new brick for the part that isn't part of the original Confederate Printing Plant structure. They should have went with recycled brick on that one.

We've lamented the lost opportunity on the West Columbia side of the river with that awful gated housing development. How could they do something as great as the Riverwalk, then have that planning disaster right next to it? West Columbia ain't Charleston, and I think that's the feel they may have been going for.

The faux stone wall on that development in WC is the worst thing I've seen in years. The whole thing looks like nouveau riche defined.

The faux stone wall on that development in WC is the worst thing I've seen in years. The whole thing looks like nouveau riche defined.

It IS simply terrible. I watched them build that nasty thing and kept thinking to myself, "If people saw this atrocity, why would they buy a house here?" I would love a house on the river, but not a McMansion, not in a gated community, and certainly not one surrounded by a plastic stone wall.

I watched the houses being built, and they didn't look like they were all that well put together, either. I wonder what the flood insurance runs on one of those houses....

Good to hear about the other developments in progress for Lady. Is the hotel you mention part of the Kline property?

My mind is still reeling from the awfulness of the West Columbia development...

Also forgot to mention that the Renaissance Plaza townhomes on Lady look so much better than I thought they would. What a nifty little project!

And Finlay Park was packed with people enjoying themselves in the beautiful Friday sunshine. Great to see folks enjoying this fantastic park.

• 1 year later...

I don't think the attached video has ever been posted on here. It is an up-to-date history and progress report from the Columbia Development Corporation's You Tube web page about Columbia progress from the Congaree River to Five Points. It has some great footage of the city's urban core.

• 4 months later...

The Columbia City Center Partnership. CCCP. Gotta love the irony there.

Its interesting that they are confining their efforts to the downtown Business Improvement District- the 36-block area bounded by Gervais, Elmwood, Assembly and Marion streets. Downtown includes so much more than that. I sincerely hope that they will have a broader scope than the CBD area.

The Columbia City Center Partnership. CCCP. Gotta love the irony there.

Its interesting that they are confining their efforts to the downtown Business Improvement District- the 36-block area bounded by Gervais, Elmwood, Assembly and Marion streets. Downtown includes so much more than that. I sincerely hope that they will have a broader scope than the CBD area.

CCP was originally formed to manage the BID district, but they appear to be expanding their operations. The Vista Guild contracted with CCP in October to provide cleaning services for 22 blocks encompassing Assembly to Huger between Lady and Senate streets. You can see the "Yellow Shirts" in the Vista everyday picking up litter and cleaning graffiti. Not sure how the barriers work with the city as other areas already have organizations including the 5 points association and Vista Guild. One of the barriers to CCP's expansion is the amount of revenue that would be provided by the added coverage. CCP earns its revenue based on a percentage of the property taxes levied on the businesses within its district. Property taxes in 5 points and the Vista may not be able to cover the expenses of providing services to those districts. Compare those areas to the Business Improvement District that maintains the largest buildings in the city with many corporate offices and headquarters. I think that with time, CCP will be able to expand its operation, but they are currently focused on bringing much needed retail and corporate business to the BID.

Archived