Adams Street Station Update

93sportie

Adams Street Station sells 10 of 25 rail cars

Stewart Verney

The developer of a Downtown project featuring 25 restored railroad cars said he has 10 reservations and has ended pre-construction pricing. Adams Street Station is scheduled to be completed by January 2005.

The development is on Adams Street, about 300 yards from Alltel Stadium. The rail cars are being sold as condominiums, complete with a condominium association, and are being marketed as entertainment suites within walking distance of the stadium, the baseball park, the new arena and Metropolitan Park.

Randy Evans, the former CSX executive who is the development manager, said he is suspending sales until the end of the month. At that point he will have a sales center open on the site in time for the Florida-Georgia football game and will have a better idea of the cost of renovating the rail cars, which started to arrive Thursday. The adjusted prices will probably be higher than the $195,000 to $360,000 that were set originally.

"We'll see," said Evans. "We've had strong demand so far. We knew people would be enthusiastic about this project, but the railcars are going even more quickly than we realized."

Buyers can choose from three models of rail cars that range in size from 40 to 85 feet in length. They all come with a kitchen, bathroom, central heat and air and a wet bar.

This came from the Jax Business Journal...Wait till the Dawgs see these,they may snap a few of these up themselves.

Guess I should have put this in the projects area?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ok to start a new topic. I'm sure I've had my fair share of misplaced posts, lol. But now we can discuss this project in one convenient place. I think this is such an interesting project, and it's unique, considering not too many cities have rail car condos. I don't know where exactly the location is. From what I've heard, it's on Adams, under the Hart Expressway. Is the property adjacent to the Riverwalk?

It's ok to start a new topic.  I'm sure I've had my fair share of misplaced posts, lol.  But now we can discuss this project in one convenient place.  I think this is such an interesting project, and it's unique, considering not too many cities have rail car condos.  I don't know where exactly the location is.  From what I've heard, it's on Adams, under the Hart Expressway.  Is the property adjacent to the Riverwalk?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks as though they will be under the Hart Bridge ramps,surounded by Adams,the surface lot along Bay & wjct's lake/retention pond.BTW,I saw a few of the rail cars today from the ramp & the look very nice & very RED.Not sure if they were still in primer or not.It would be a short walk to Metro Park.

Call me crazy but if someone is willing to pay $360,000 for a tiny RAIL CAR near the stadium, then condos ought to be coming up like mushrooms down there! Just let someone tell me there isn't demand for housing downtown! In particular, what happened to Easton Sanderson's proprosed project for the Old St. Luke's property.

Having remembered the success of the developer's project in Columbia SC, I expected these things to do well, but this is beyond even my optimistic expectations.

Basically, what the developer is selling is a privately owned corporate suite similiar to the what is offered for lease in the stadium itself. These will be used as entertainment/tailgating facilities. A typical unit would have a half/bath and a wet bar with seating. The ones in Columbia are professionally decorated by the owners. There is no full bath, bedroom or kitchen.

My point was that if someone is willing to pay that much for one of these things, surely for the same $, if not much less, a condo could be built. A condo would have a full kitchen as well as bedrooms for the owner and/or guests to stay in, while still having more space for entertaining than a rail car.

While a condo wouldn't have quite the novelty factor of a rail car, the other advantages mentioned above more than outweigh that aspect.

Archived