MIAMI | Dadeland, Kendall area

Brickell

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aessotariq,

Nice pics updating the construction at Downtown Dadeland! One thing, though, Building "A" is located on the Northeast corner of the property, not on the Northwest corner, as stated in your post. Building "B" would be the one located on the Northwest corner. I just thought you might want to change that for the sake of accuracy.

Also, according to the Downtown Dadeland website, there are only 48 units left, so if you're on the fence, you had better make up your mind quickly or your options will be limited, if at all available.

Again, nice construction pics! I anxiously await the day that someone is able to actually get inside the hot zone and take some close-ups.

Also, according to the Downtown Dadeland website, there are only 48 units left, so if you're on the fence, you had better make up your mind quickly or your options will be limited, if at all available.

You know, it's interesting that there are 48 units left! I went to Downtown Dadeland in December of 2003 as an interested buyer and I was completely ignored by the sales lady; I think she was an EWM real estate agent. She told me that they were days away from being 100% sold out and didn't help us at all; I know how people treat each other in Miami, but this was the "extra" cold shoulder.

Maybe I didn't meet the criteria that the salesperson had envisioned for the resident of a luxury condo complex, but too bad for her because she lost the sale. Or who knows, maybe they held off on releasing a few units till now so that they could sell them at current pricing (much higher), if that's the case then someone there was thinking!

You know, it's interesting that there are 48 units left! I went to Downtown Dadeland in December of 2003 as an interested buyer and I was completely ignored by the sales lady; I think she was an EWM real estate agent. She told me that they were days away from being 100% sold out and didn't help us at all; I know how people treat each other in Miami, but this was the "extra" cold shoulder.

Maybe I didn't meet the criteria that the salesperson had envisioned for the resident of a luxury condo complex, but too bad for her because she lost the sale. Or who knows, maybe they held off on releasing a few units till now so that they could sell them at current pricing (much higher), if that's the case then someone there was thinking!

As you pointed out, the sales team over there is actually a realty company. My dealings with them have been average at best. Unfortunately, I had the same experience across the street at Metropolis and behind the mall at Colonnade. Personally, I work in a service-oriented business and can't understand the lack of enthusiasm at these sales centers, but that's just my opinion. The same happens, for example, at your favorite restaurant. The food may be great every time, but the waiter's service will ultimately make you feel better or worse about that particular restaurant on that particular visit.

As for the final units that are available, you nailed their strategy on the head! I inquired as to why the first 350 units sold so quickly and why the sales have literally stopped after that. Their explanation, other than the obvious that most of the sought-after properties were reserved first, was that a certain part of the market segment of buyers will not buy property until it is completed. They are literally banking on this market segment by raising their pricing on the remaining units and profiting heavily on the final units that will (should) sell after the project is completed. If you notice, Downtown Dadeland does not advertise either. I thought that was odd, but this is all part of their pre-planned sales strategy. Will it work? I guess we'll find out next year!

Sigh... the easiest way to lose the sale is to be aloof from the start.

I could understand waiting off until near or full completion to start buying if the developer is new and capital is limited. Anyone know how much of a track record some of these guys have? A lot of these developments are being built under LLCs, so it takes a little more digging to find who the actual developer is.

I've found it frustrating with the lack of advertising on some of these properties, since it's that much harder to find out any info. With exception to a few, like Metropolis, Downtown Dadeland, Toscano, and Colonnade, I haven't found any websites.

Out of pure curiosity I went to the Dadeland Towers' rental office a couple of weeks ago...this is the tower on the Dadeland Station property; a rental community. The rents there are quite high for Kendall, well, for Kendall of a few years ago. An average sized 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment of about 1,100 square feet (say about 14th floor) is going for around $2,000/month.

I only got as far as the main lobby and it was very nice looking and as far as convenience, you can't beat it because it's next to the Dadeland Mall and Dadeland Station, plus the Metro Rail station. It was interesting to find that the sales office was busy too; while I was there I saw a couple signing a lease and someone else was waiting to meet with the leasing agent. I only dropped in quick and asked for the pricing on the remaining inventory. They read off the remaining inventory and gave me the prices, and there wasn't much left.

Do you guys think that this will be a trend in the Dadeland area? I mean, these kind of rents?

Do you guys think that this will be a trend in the Dadeland area? I mean, these kind of rents?

The relative scarcity of these properties doesn't help the situation. That's pretty pricey; on the other hand, you could say that's market forces at work, placing a premium on a prime location. The novelty of this type of living is still there, so the prices are in accordance. I'm hoping that once this area is "functional" and it has proved that it works, the surrounding areas will also start becoming zoned this way as well and things will level off to something more reasonable.

Nice, I just stayed at the Ramada Inn Dadeland last weekend and did notice all the construction going on. I have a few pics of the construction and the skyline, taken from my hotel window. Ill have to post those up soon. Good Work Miami!

Awesome! Can't wait to see them! Hope you enjoyed your stay...

I'd say those are probably going to be the new permanent rents in the Dadeland area, at least in the new buildings. That is about average or a little less than what you would expect for a new building in the Grove or Coral Gables or Brickell or Aventura. Dadeland has joined that company with its prices. Thats just a little more than the new project by the South Miami metrorail was charging and Dadeland Towers has much better location. X Aragon in Coral Gables when it opened as a rental was asking like $2500 to $3000 a month for a two bedroom. I don't know if I see Dadeland getting any super-highend stuff though.

Jeez... I lived in Dadeland just 4 years ago in a 2/2 apt for just $770/mo... It's insane how much rents have increased in the area... It looks like my unit is going for ~$1100 now. And that's in a complex just west of the Palmetto that floods every time it rains...

^Rents in general have been rising like crazy. Plus there have been a lot of condo conversions that have made rentals even that much more scarce.

Some of the places that developers were allowed to get away with building are maddening... in some places it seems like they built at the bottom of a lakebed... if you go along certain thoroughfares like Kendall Drive, especially in the far west, you'll see that the street is sometimes higher than the surrounding development. Kendall Drive itself has probably been raised in its most recent resurfacing/reconstruction projects (it's a state road), so while the road itself doesn't flood as much under normal rain conditions, the parking lots and the surrounding streets do, since all the runoff has to go somewhere. :) Thankfully now they have to raise lower-lying areas before building.

^Some of the places that developers were allowed to get away with building are maddening... in some places it seems like they built at the bottom of a lakebed... if you go along certain thoroughfares like Kendall Drive, especially in the far west, you'll see that the street is sometimes higher than the surrounding development.

I moved to South Florida from San Francisco and when I see some of the things that developers get away with here, I am shocked! The ultimate example, that I know of, where you see the road way higher than the development is at about 137th Ave and Kendall Drive. There's a Publix shopping center on the South side of Kendall Drive there and if anyone has seen this, you know what I'm talking about. To exit that shopping center and get onto Kendall Drive feels like you're climbing Mount Everest; the street is WAY higher than the shopping center parking lot. Not a good idea for a flood prone city to build this way, I don't think.

I moved to South Florida from San Francisco and when I see some of the things that developers get away with here, I am shocked! The ultimate example, that I know of, where you see the road way higher than the development is at about 137th Ave and Kendall Drive. There's a Publix shopping center on the South side of Kendall Drive there and if anyone has seen this, you know what I'm talking about. To exit that shopping center and get onto Kendall Drive feels like you're climbing Mount Everest; the street is WAY higher than the shopping center parking lot. Not a good idea for a flood prone city to build this way, I don't think.

Ill explain this one since I have lived in Kendall my whole life. Around the late 1980's Kendall drive was completely shut down in order ot make expansions and imporvements to the street. When this was completed the street was much higher than it used ot be because the old Kendall Drive used to flood. The idea here was if there were to be a flood people could leave on the street. Had the street level not been raised the street would flood along with the housing. Put simply the publix came first and then Kendall Drive. The original height of pre 90's Kendall drive was the same as the publix, The kmart and the home depot a little bit down the ways.

^Awesome pics!

To think that all that density came to that area out of seemingly nowhere... What used to be on that site, before Metropolis?

That is a great question, but I don't remember! I know that across the street at Downtown Dadeland (the block just east of Metropolis) was Williamson Cadillac, who sold the lot to the real estate developer for just over $30,000,000 and then just moved down the street on US1 and built a nicer dealership than they previously had.

I'd be curious to know what was there before Metropolis as well.

That is a great question, but I don't remember! I know that across the street at Downtown Dadeland (the block just east of Metropolis) was Williamson Cadillac, who sold the lot to the real estate developer for just over $30,000,000 and then just moved down the street on US1 and built a nicer dealership than they previously had.

I'd be curious to know what was there before Metropolis as well.

I found a 2001 areal photo of the area and back then Downtown Dadeland was still the Williamson Cadillac and Metropolis (and Toscano) were parking lots.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived