MIAMI | Dadeland, Kendall area

Brickell

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Brickell,

Thanks for the update on the area. Downtown Dadeland will be one of S. FL's most interesting places in a few years. Just to let you know the Fairfield property now has a name, "Toscano", and you can see the website at www.toscanocondos.com.

Best wishes!

metropolis

Thanks. They appear to be working on the website. There's a rendering up though. Not as tall as I imagined, but an Ok looking building. Similar in style to Collonade and and Towers of Dadeland. I was looking forward to something a little more modern, but I should probably stop complaing now.

Good to see that their conversion is going forward. Any idea what kind of prices they're asking?

The banner on the Toscano condos says that they're starting in the low $200s. I would guess that means a studio apt, maybe around 700 sq ft, if that. They're setting up a list of interested parties now. They were smart to begin sales later in the construction, which allowed the prices to get nice and high while they worked on the building.

Metropolis

Nimbys have forced reductions in the Dadeland Breezes project. These are the cuts the developer has agreed to. Sounds less urban to me, but these are the suburbs after all.

Tucker Gibbs, a lawyer for the Kendall Glenn Homeowners' Association, said developer Harvey Hernandez has agreed to reduce the number of units, lower some building heights, close off access on one street and omit an eight-story building from the proposed project.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11931139.htm

Haven't heard it and can't confirm it.  Personally, I've never noticed a big problem trying to cross Kendall Dr.  We're having enough problems getting pedestrian bridges for US1.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your reply. I was more concerned with the pedestrian traffic after all of the projects in the triangle are completed and occupied. When you have a wide road like Kendall Drive between all of those buildings with live-in condos and a popular shopping mall across the street, the amount of pedestrian traffic confined to that one particular area will increase dramatically. Statistically, the chances of someone getting hit by a car will also increase dramatically. When I heard about the possibility of a pedestrian bridge going up in that area, I thought it to be a great idea. For now, I guess, it continues to remain a rumor.

They will also need to make improvements to the timing of the various traffic and pedestrian signals so that it is safer to cross the street... The area does have existing sidewalks and marked crosswalks, so that's one less step that's needed.

I agree with Brickell that it's far more dangerous to cross US1 than Kendall Drive (in the Dadeland area)... Kendall Dr has more gaps in traffic and it's a shorter segment, whereas US1 seems to never stop. Since it's a state highway, the county has to work with FDOT to get some bridges installed over US1.

Some new information has come out about the Toscano development. The complex consists of 3 buildings, including two 5-story buildings and a 25-story tower. The number of units has been revised to 396 and the website has been updated. It includes some videos:

http://www.toscanocondos.com

Completion expected by summer 2006. More info: Miami Today

Related UrbanPlanet.org topic: South Florida P&C: Toscano

The Miami Today article on Toscano in the previous post mentioned a previously unknown project to me, The Renaissance at Dadeland.

Among residential projects planned or under way in Dadeland are the335-unit Towers of Dadeland at Dadeland North Metrorail station; Downtown Dadeland, 416 units at Southwest 88th Street and Dadeland Boulevard; the Colonnade, 555 units at Southwest 82nd Street and Southwest 72nd Avenue; and Renaissance at Dadeland, 245 units at 8100 SW 72nd Ave.

After some research based on the address I'm pretty sure that's the Archstone project mentioned previously, a 10 story condo building. This area is developing some density and character of it's own north of the mall. Hopefully we'll see some eventually on the mall property but i'm not holding my breath. I propose we need a nickname for the area north of 88th. I'll use Dadeland North until someobdy comes up with something better. DaNo is a no.

Here's a google map I made up:

Red - Collonade - Lot cleared and construction should begin soon.

Yellow - Renaissance at Dadeland - proposed

Blue - Dadeland Park Village - proposed

Green - Towers of Dadeland - apartments, should be ready of occupancy by the end of summer

dadelandno.jpg

Hey Aessotariq,

You said that there is a "coming soon" sign on the apartments/condos in front of the canal in North Dadeland? I've seen that much of the area has been sold off, many of those complexes were rentals and they were sold to individuals as condo conversions, are those the same ones being knocked down? Does anyone know how that works? Can a developer buy out an entire complex of home owners? Do they need a majority vote or 100%? How's that work?

When I saw that these beat up, old rentals were becoming condo conversions I was very let down, because I figured that once these were in the hands of individuals, they would never get knocked down and re-developed.

-Metropolis

Now that I think about it, it's unclear... it hadn't dawned on me that they could be conversions. A buyout of the complex would require a vote and then the developer has to buy each individual unit. The percentage of votes required for a buyout would be stated in the condo association's by-laws.

I'll have to double check that next time I'm down there. I'm cringing at the thought.

They do look like conversions. :( It looks like they created little themed streets and painted each building a different color. A buyout will be harder if a new urban development is ever to be built there.

On the flipside, maybe it's a little too far west to be a good transit-oriented development (for now). Perhaps it's better to build the eastern areas close to the Metrorail stations and gradually head west.

I don't want to discourage your input, but this rant comes off as curmudgeonly at best. Is traffic bad in Kendall? Yes, but it has never taken me that long to traverse Kendall. What is your usual drive time? Do the bus routes need to be upgraded? Probably, but they're usually pretty full when I ride them. You claim that Miamians won't give up their cars, then go on to say that you hate Metrorail because it's packed. Which is it? Lastly, you propose to speak for residents of the Dadeland area while you live 20 blocks away. Do you have a better place to put these people or would you prefer to just complain?

I've never considered Dadeland station to be a architectural wonder, in fact I think it's rather ugly outside of the curved neon driveways. What it is, is a wonder of suburban density. 5 big box stores and shops on the footprint of what would normally be 1 Target. All that adjacent to a metrorail station. Complain all you want about big box stores, but if you have to have them, then this is the way of the future.

Do you have any positive comments?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't want to discourage your input, but this rant comes off as curmudgeonly at best.  Is traffic bad in Kendall? Yes, but it has never taken me that long to traverse Kendall.  What is your usual drive time?  Do the bus routes need to be upgraded?  Probably, but they're usually pretty full when I ride them.  You claim that Miamians won't give up their cars, then go on to say that you hate Metrorail because it's packed.  Which is it?  Lastly, you propose to speak for residents of the Dadeland area while you live 20 blocks away.  Do you have a better place to put these people or would you prefer to just complain?

I've never considered Dadeland station to be a architectural wonder, in fact I think it's rather ugly outside of the curved neon driveways.  What it is, is a wonder of suburban density.  5 big box stores and shops on the footprint of what would normally be 1 Target. All that adjacent to a metrorail station.  Complain all you want about big box stores, but if you have to have them, then this is the way of the future.

Do you have any positive comments? 

Welcome to the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well said Brickell I couldnt agree with you more on every point u just made. But i am going to add something to it. The fact remains that Miamians ARE trading their cars in for the public transportation. Gas prices and traffic are too expensive and bad respectively. My mother was adamant about driving to work, I forced her to take public transportation and she was sold. She now takes it every day to work. I have lived in kendall 23 years and i can assure you it has NEVER taken me that long to traverse the area u said.

Let's imagine for a moment that Miamians who will soon occupy (in large numbers) the Dadeland area decide to stick to their cars. Well, that means that a few thousand people, whom will be living within a few blocks of each other, will be driving their cars to work and back at the same time each day. This will cause a ridiculous amount of traffic. What's the solution? To force these folks to take the Metrorail.

<P>

The reason for placing all this housing next to the Metrorail stations is to do just that, force people to take public transportation. Because we live in a society where we all want our individual space, it's going to be tough to train people to take the Metro, but if it's a choice between a 20 minute train ride or an hour long traffic jam, I'll choose the first one, and so will the residents of this area.

<p>

The future residents of the Dadeland condos know what they're getting into and I'm sure they've contemplated the idea of taking public transportation before signing their half a million dollar sales contracts on those condos.

<p>

By the way, many couples that I met when I went to pick my carpet and tile and kitchen counters at the Metropolis condo that I bought, were older, retired folks. These people are not needing to go any where during rush hour except for the Krispy Kreme across the street (by foot).

<p>

Though I'm buying this condo as a rental, I plan on moving into it down the road and for me it's perfect because #1 I work from home and don't have to worry about traffic and at the same time can enjoy all the amenities of the towers as well as the retail & #2 my spouse is a nurse at a hospital that's about 10 blocks away! I'm sure we're not the only ones in similar situations.

Archived