Birminham loses Corporate HQ to Charlotte

monsoon

I haven't been on urbanplanet long, but one thing I have notice is alot of "city hating" and personally I find it to be very childish.  Every week there is a different post asking people to vote on which city is best.  I was born and raised in Birmingham.  I love Birmingham.  I know it's not Atlanta and it's not Charlotte, but that doesn't bother me in the least  There are still great things about it.  I don't understand why people just can't be proud of where they are from without having to put down other cities.  And all of these people on here from Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami or where ever, that are pushing up their cities had nothing to do with how well their cities are doing now.  And if you are from a smaller city, don't try to make your city out to be more than it really is.  Seriously, how old are you guys?  Be proud of where you are from and let that be the end of it.

I'm J and I'm proud to say I'm from Birmingham.

-J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am John from Charlotte, and our cities arrogance sickens me at times !!! Why bash a city when, hello, its still part of the USA... it's not like the people enlisting in the service are enlisting for specific regions "While I was in the military I defended Atlanta" So why in the world are you going to babble about some other cities job losses, or gains that are slower than yours, etc... This is why skyscraperpage.com is stupid, and I hoped UrbanPlanet.org would be a little classier... Birmingham has had to overcome a lot, and the fact that they did should make every resident proud. The fact of the matter is that most people in the Charlotte forum are not originally from Charlotte, so please don't let them make an impression of a Charlottean on you. I am a true Charlottean, and most of us believe the way this city is going up right now is crappy... It's the Northern transplants that are rejoicing in the fact that their little slice of New York is coming with them... ugh

Hooray for Birmingham!! :blush:

Birmingham rocks!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to the Florida Gulf Coast and it is beautiful, green water, white sand and it is certainly understandable to see why people would love it. The Gulf is very different than NC beaches and I've never really compared the two, but to say NC's beaches are crappy is insane. No one can really put down The Outer Banks and know what they are talking about. NC's Outer Banks boast two National Sea Shores operated by the National Park Service. Miles of untouched seashore! Visiting them is well worth it, they are gorgeous! Of course the drive is hell but camping out on an island all alone is great (especially if you surf since it is some of the east's best surfing).

I've been to the Florida Gulf Coast and it is beautiful, green water, white sand and it is certainly understandable to see why people would love it.  The Gulf is very different than NC beaches and I've never really compared the two, but to say NC's beaches are crappy is insane.  No one can really put down The Outer Banks and know what they are talking about.  NC's Outer Banks boast two National Sea Shores operated by the National Park Service.  Miles of untouched seashore!  Visiting them is well worth it, they are gorgeous!  Of course the drive is hell but camping out on an island all alone is great (especially if you surf since it is some of the east's best surfing).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is like comparing apples and oranges. I like both places, but if I had to choose I would go with the Gulf Coast, especially Cape San Blas in Florida, but both have their positive attributes. If you think the drive to the Outer Banks is killer, try the drive to Cape San Blas from where I live, up here in NC! :blink:

I am a true Charlottean, and most of us believe the way this city is going up right now is crappy... It's the Northern transplants that are rejoicing in the fact that their little slice of New York is coming with them... ugh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you referring to the unchecked sprawl or the densification of the core? I'm from Charlotte originally as well, and I'm not sure I can echo your sentiments if you believe most natives aren't excited about the resurgence in urban living, light-rail, etc.....

I haven't been on urbanplanet long, but one thing I have notice is alot of "city hating" and personally I find it to be very childish.  Every week there is a different post asking people to vote on which city is best.  I was born and raised in Birmingham.  I love Birmingham.  I know it's not Atlanta and it's not Charlotte, but that doesn't bother me in the least  There are still great things about it.  I don't understand why people just can't be proud of where they are from without having to put down other cities.  And all of these people on here from Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami or where ever, that are pushing up their cities had nothing to do with how well their cities are doing now.  And if you are from a smaller city, don't try to make your city out to be more than it really is.  Seriously, how old are you guys?  Be proud of where you are from and let that be the end of it.

I'm J and I'm proud to say I'm from Birmingham.

-J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Birmingham is a nice place. I was born and raised there and love it! But Birmingham must get over it's inferiority complex. In every one of these forums (here, Skyscraperpage, etc) it's always Birmingham vs Charlotte, or Birmingham vs Nashville or Birmingham vs Jacksonville or Birmingham vs Atlanta, etc, etc. Why the need Birmingham to always be comparing yourself??? When is Birmingham going to become comfortable in it's own skin????? Enough comparing Birmingham, you just invite the barbs and jabs. You're a GREAT city, so "F" what people think.

..... In every one of these forums (here, Skyscraperpage, etc) it's always Birmingham vs Charlotte, or Birmingham vs Nashville or Birmingham vs Jacksonville or Birmingham vs Atlanta, etc, etc.  ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that in this thread we have let our standards drop to the lows that are normally found at that forum you mention. For my part in adding to it (and creating this thread) I apoligise to everyone, especially the Birmingham forumers. We will do better in the future.

Archived