1001 Woodward project begins

Mojo

The buildings north of 1001 Woodward are getting demolished right now to make room for the new parking deck with ground level retail. I watched as the Hughes and Hatcher building was being torn apart, and the demo crew was working pretty vigorously.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've probably passed each other before. I am downtown quite a bit, although I haven't been there as much lately since the traffic getting down there is so bad. I made the mistake of taking 75 back last night. Fortunately I was able to take the Davison to the Lodge. I don't even want to guess how long it would've taken if I had taken 75 to 696!

I can't find my map showing which buildings belong to the Lofts of Merchants Row. I did check out the Fowler Building though, and I'm not sure, but I think it is an unrelated renovation project. I remember that when I went to Detroit during spring break, there were already offices going into the ground floor, whereas the Lofts at Merchants Row didn't even have windows yet. At the time I thought it was part of the loft project, but now I don't think it is.

Maybe installing the parking garage will finally help to get rid of the surface parking lots that plague Detroit. I would like to see more density in downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that. We will continue to see more parking garages until the city gets an actual rail system. And I can see another surface lot (think Statler Block Parking Lot). This better be the last parking structure we see for a while. This one is going to be 10 floors, and the one on Michigan where the Grand Trunk Building was is going to be 4 floors. All this in addition to the Hudsons garage, the Kennedy garage, and the Merchants Row garage. I am so sick of all these hideous parking garages! Has ANYONE ever had trouble finding a spot to park at downtown?

I agree with you Al, about so many parking garages than the market can currently bare. But in the event that the downtown revival goes the way it's supposed to, it'll be nice to have the infrastructure already in tact. There's potentially supposed to be an office building on top of the garage on woodward, so that parking would primarily be going to the tennants of the building.

In recent months I've read interviews from some heavy hitters at Chrysler (Auburn Hills) who are very much in favor of mass transit. They were discussing how difficult it can be to get people where they need to be, whether it's from the airport to the Chryler headquarters, or moving engineers from plant to plant. Maybe this will help L B Patterson to be more cooperative with the region in setting up mass transit.

The only way to get mass transit in Oakland County is to get L. Brooks out of office. He is not going to change his position on the issue because he thinks that the people of OC don't want it. He thinks they'd rather be sitting in a traffic jam on a 10-lane I-75.

I completely agree that Detroit needs mass transit in order to truly revitalize itself. A mass transit system (and I'm not talking buses) will be a catalyst to renew the core city and downtown area and will force people out of their cars and into the neighborhood. Are there any groups out there that are working to achieve this goal and what are they doing? I've joined a Detroit mass transit group on the web (of which I'm currently the only member -_- ) and I'm very interested in meeting like minded people. The address is

http://masstransit.meetup.com/8/

Join it and maybe we can put our heads together and figure out if theres anything we can do.

Archived