Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what I wouldn't pay to have seen the city before the Dutch Elm Disease epidemic. It's green, now (could be a lot greener in the commercial areas, though), but what it must have looked like with side-street after sidestreet with the arching canopies of elms totally framing and shading the streets.

Washington & Michigan in '76 with the downtown trolley having only been in operation for a few years.

dcr08.jpg

Joe Testagrose Collection - http://www.davesrailpix.com/dsr/htm/dcr08.htm

Streetcar scene in 1953.

dsr062.jpg

Joe Testagrose Collection - http://www.davesrailpix.com/dsr/htm/dcr08.htm

Edited by Lmichigan

Cool shots. Id love to see some sort of trolley brought to the east riverfront. They could probably do something with a line stretching from the Ren Cen to Belles Isle or even perhaps over the MacArthur Bridge to a stop on Belle Isle. I think that would be a neat way of linking Belle Isle to downtown and the new residential district for those who cant walk the whole riverwalk and dont want to drive a car.

I think I saw something on detroit.com very recently (in the streetcar article thread, in fact) that they are still in storage on Russell. Now, if 'in storage' means in a protected garage or 'left to the elements' I have no idea, but I really would like to see a line at least down Atwater or in the Dequindre Cut. The Near-East Riverfront is well on its way to becoming a Fisherman's Wharf-type area.

Wow I was there yesterday and didnt see anything up. I guess they were waiting for River Days. I was still under the impression that the building was going to be worked into the state park as some sort of center. Im glad it will be saved in one way or another, looks like a cool place to call home.

Thanks guys. I never really did stop taking photos...I just haven't been posting them like I used to because my internet connection is so slow. It takes me close to five minutes to upload one photo! In reality, I shoot about 50 photos per day on average, although between the fireworks and the house burning down across the street from mine last night, I shot 300 photos yesterday.

Ian, wouldn't you get bored of the MCS after 100 trips?