Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Sunday, October 31, 2004

The house at 287 Alfred Street in Detroit's Brush Park neighborhood has the fatal yellow "D" on the front of it. It appears that there is enough of this house left that it is salvageable, especially seeing how far gone some of the other houses in Brush Park were when they were rehabbed. Maybe there is hope after all.

10_31_04_IMG_2337.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, November 2, 2004

The Fisher Building in the city's New Center area was designed by famed Detroit industrial architect Albert Kahn. The building as it was built is only a small portion of what was originally planned for the block; however, what has been completed is magnificent. The Fisher Building is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city.

11_02_04_IMG_3037.jpg

The Cathedral Tower building is an odd design.  Don't see too many buildings with a shape like that!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I looked into getting an apartment here because then I wouldn't have to worry about annoying roommates. Plus it is dirt cheap - I can get a studio for $475 per month. I would be looking at nearly double the price here in Southfield. The only thing is that it would mean driving from downtown every morning. Also, I'm not exactly sure how ANY of my furniture is supposed it fit in the room, since it is triangular.

fp0_27452-1.gif

I really need to look into Lafayette Towers. My friend moved onto the 16th floor there, and only pays $600 per month. It is also within walking distance of downtown, but I don't like that particular area quite as much since it is not as urban.

Saturday, November 6, 2004

The Park Shelton Apartments on Woodward Avenue in midtown are being converted into condominiums. The building was originally a hotel, the Wardell Hotel. It was named for Fred Wardell, founder of the Eureka Company, and was known for its inovative service and facilities.

11_06_04_IMG_3122.jpg

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Madison-Lenox Hotel in early evening. Although it slated to become another parking lot for nearby Comerica Park, rumor has it that the owners are now looking at redevelopment options because of all the bad publicity they are recieving over the building's poor condition and its planned demolition.

11_11_04_IMG_4214.jpg

The ML doesn't look too bad in that shot. Looks like you could just install a few windows and start leasing (although we know how far from the truth that is).

Hmm....something's fishy. The sun is out in almost all of your photos. This isn't really Detroit now is it :blink:

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Last weekend I stumbled onto this helicopter crash scene that they were filming for the movie, The Island, on Bagley Street. I didn't even know that I was on a movie set until I was in the middle of it, and saw the wrecked helicopter. LOL.

11_13_04_IMG_3982.jpg

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Peering into the David Whitney Building from the window on Park Avenue. The building seems to be in good condition, but apparently there is a leak in the roof of the lobby, since there is water standing on the floor. There have been several plans for the building, including a hotel, and also the conversion of the building into apartments or condos. So far nothing has materialized.

11_14_04_IMG_3989.jpg