Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a request. Could someone get somes photos of the structures along Seward Avenue between 3rd/Lodge and Woodward? This area is the North End directly north of New Center, and it has a lot of interesting structures that never get photographed. In fact, the whole area between Boston-Edison and New Center on the west side of Woodward has some interesting tall structures that are overlooked. The area is really kind of sketchy, so be sure to stay on your toes. :) As a little kid, we used to live a block or two east of here on Melbourne between John R. and Brush. On subsequent visits going back to see old neighbors I've noticed that like a lot of Detroit, this neighborhood is still years away from being reached by revitalization, but it would make a great hood. On an unrelated note, a cool feature is that you get a great view of the RenCen looking down Brush in this area.

Edited by Lmichigan

I have a request. Could someone get somes photos of the structures along Seward Avenue between 3rd/Lodge and Woodward? This area is the North End directly north of New Center, and it has a lot of interesting structures that never get photographed. In fact, the whole area between Boston-Edison and New Center on the west side of Woodward has some interesting tall structures that are overlooked. The area is really kind of sketchy, so be sure to stay on your toes. :)

Nice shot! :)

Honestly, people should be hiring you guys to do their Detroit photography. It seems like all of the websites and fliers and stuff always have really bad and out of date (I remember one thing I saw didn't even have Comerica Tower yet!) photos. The ones here (and on Flickr too) bring out so many great sides of Detroit that would make fantastic promotional things.

The one in Atlanta is too plain. The design of the Ren Cen works because of all its parts. Peachtree in ATL is definitely missing that and the plain circular glass tower just doesnt look good imo. I dont mind the Ren Cen since its renovation and how its more people friendly. The things I dont like are how it dominates the skyline and is separated from the rest of downtown. I do agree, it certainly seems "Detroit".

i think there is an interesting correlation between the former NYC world trade centers and the ren cen. When you think of the new york skyline, it is still hard to think of it without the WTC. But as we all know, the WTC was far from the greatest examples of architecture within the city. Much is the same with detroit. While most of us on this board probably won't list the ren cen as our favorite building, it is, for better or worse, the most recognizable structure in our downtown.

We all know the ren cen was an effort by Detroit boosters and FoMoCo to revive detroit's downtown, but the WTC was part of a movement by the real estate folks of Lower Manhattan, the banks located on wall street and the port authority to save lower manhattan (during the post war years, all of the corporations were moving to mid town instead of lower manhattan). And by all accounts, in the early days, the construction of these towers actually flooded the office market adding more supply to an area where supply was prevalent. The same could probably be said for the ren cen.

As much as I didn't care for the ren cen in the earlier parts of my life, the changes made since 1996 cannot be ignored. The things that they have done... improving circulation in and out, opening if up to the river and of course the prospects of the river east project, its hard not to get excited about the area around the ren cen and I guess even the ren cen itself.

great picture by the way, zissou

Edited by tapezord

• 2 weeks later...