Allan

Detroit Photo of the Day

The lower part was cleaned up right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, some of the lower part. The cleaned portions are the lighter portions in this photo.

03_01_05_IMG_7755.jpg

Also, since we are on the topic, I have noted that the Book Building appears to have an addition (to left in Allan's photo directly above), even though I have never seen any records of that occuring.

Also, since we are on the topic, I have noted that the Book Building appears to have an addition (to left in Allan's photo directly above), even though I have never seen any records of that occuring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Book Building (in the lower left) was the original buildings, and the tower is an addition. Many buildings in Detroit are additions to lower buildings (i.e. Penobscot, Michigan Bell...)

I think what he means is that the low-rise, oringinal Book Building seems to have an addition. In the photo, there looks like a seam between the two parts, suggesting it was added on to.

I think what he means is that the low-rise, oringinal Book Building seems to have an addition. In the photo, there looks like a seam between the two parts, suggesting it was added on to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the whole thing was a three phase project ultimately, first the building, then an addition to the building, and lastly the tower.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Albert Kahn designed the Detroit Trust Company Building at 201 West Fort in 1915. The back was expanded in 1926, and modernized in 1966, when Detroit Bank & Trust expanded into 211 West Fort next door.

03_24_05_IMG_7486.jpg

Very nice Allan!  I like how the light shines on certain parts of the buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. The lighting conditions just happened to be nearly identical this evening. Of course the clouds have returned now. I'm ready for springtime!

Friday, March 25, 2005

Easter Lilies in the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory on Belle Isle. Spring is here, although it doesn't seem like it with the weather we've been having!

IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

Saturday, March 26, 2005

An apartment building at the corner of Van Dyke & Lafayette on the city's east side.

IMG_8106.jpg

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Construction on the 1001 Woodward parking deck continues.

IMG_8209.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone have any renderings of the new 1001 Woodward Parking Garage?

Did you take that photo of the parking garage Thursday, Allan? I saw it this Friday and they already had horizontal members being cast.

BTW, nice closeups on the flowers. Wish my camera could do that.

Did you take that photo of the parking garage Thursday, Allan?  I saw it this Friday and they already had horizontal members being cast.

BTW, nice closeups on the flowers.  Wish my camera could do that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that was on Thursday. They must be moving quick then!

My cousin just bought a Nikon D70...that would do a much better job with those flowers than my camera. If only I had that much money to spend on a new camera & some lenses.....

Yeah, that was on Thursday.  They must be moving quick then!

My cousin just bought a Nikon D70...that would do a much better job with those flowers than my camera.  If only I had that much money to spend on a new camera & some lenses.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Allan, what kind of camera d you have?

I'm glad there is going to be ground floor retail. I just hope the ramp looks nice and blends in well with the cityscape. If parking garages are the new buildings of Detroit, then they need to make a statement....just nothing too crazy.

The CBD of Detroit needs a CVS. Basic Needs.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is already a pharmacy on Griswold in Capitol Park. Why do we need another one just one block away?

There is already a pharmacy on Griswold in Capitol Park.  Why do we need another one just one block away?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't aware of one being near Capitol Park. Any store being built downtown makes me happy/

Monday, March 28, 2005

This afternoon I noticed that the Manhattan apartment building, as well as the adjacent Altadena apartment building have signs on them announcing their renovation into 1-3 bedroom apartments & condominiums. Certainly some good news for a side of town that could use some help.

IMG_8350.jpg