Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Saturday, April 2, 2005

Detroit has parking garage fever. Yet another parking garage is being constructed downtown. This one is located on the site of the Grand Trunk Building, which was just demolished last year. When completed, it will service the tenants in the Dime Building.

IMG_8426.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm livid that they didn't even have the respect to reclad the garage they are expanding with a more attractive face. That's the very least they could have done in tearing down the Grand Trunk/Transportation Building that was still very much in good shape.

This parking binge BETTER lead to more development. If it's simply subsidizing a few downtown office buildings downtown then it would have not been worth it.

How many parking decks are going up downtown right now? Like 3?

Yeah, that has got to be one of the ugliest garages downtown too. It looks absolutely hideous. I wish all garages were all nice, like the Ellington garage in midtown.

By my count there are three parking garages going up: the Dime, 1001, & Opera House. How many parking spaces do we need?! Are people really so lazy that they won't walk more than a block from their car to their final destination? I have never had a problem finding a space within a block or two of my final destination downtown. Walking a block or two is no farther than the walk from the multi-acre parking lot to the entrance of a big box store. I just don't get it. I guess that's just what comes with our auto-centric region.

I don't know what you all are complaining about. Sure, it's not the prettiest thing, but it's a lot nicer than these fenced gravel lots that seem to be so popular. And much higher capacity. Maybe it'll put some of Ilitch's lots out of business. It's progress, folks. Even if it's not the ideal, it's a step in the right direction.

I don't know what you all are complaining about.  Sure, it's not the prettiest thing, but it's a lot nicer than these fenced gravel lots that seem to be so popular.  And much higher capacity.  Maybe it'll put some of Ilitch's lots out of business.  It's progress, folks.  Even if it's not the ideal, it's a step in the right direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess the complaints simply boil down to doing things right the first time. How much effort would it really take to make the garage blend in, and not look like a cookie-cutter, pseudo-brutalist piece of crap?

And you're right that it's better than an open lot, but consider what was demolished for it in the first place.

Monday, April 4, 2005

The main branch of the Detroit Public Library in the city's cultural center. Designed by New York architect Cass Gilbert, construction began in 1915. Because of World War I, the formal dedication of the building did not occur until June 3, 1921.

IMG_8474.jpg

Monday, April 4, 2005

The main branch of the Detroit Public Library in the city's cultural center.  Designed by New York architect Cass Gilbert, construction began in 1915.  Because of World War I, the formal dedication of the building did not occur until June 3, 1921.

IMG_8474.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the photo is amazing. just another hidden treasure in Detroit. Allan your photos of the boston-edison historic district as well as other neighborhoods are interesting. I think the photos help show people who are in the suburbs that there is a whole other world past there white picket fences.

Wednesday, April 6, 2005

St. John's Episcopal Church at Woodward and Vernor (Fisher Freeway) was designed by Albert Jordan & James Anderson in 1861. The church's interior was drastically altered in 1936 when it was moved to widen Woodward Avenue.

IMG_8396.jpg